main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Great River / Legends Haven MkII (Was: Should there be new stories in the Legends continuity?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hamburger_Time, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Okay, let me preface this by saying that I am not asking for Legends to become the primary continuity again; that starship has sailed. What I want, however, is opinions on whether new media should be released for the Legends continuity only. Compare the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe: while the Marvel Universe was clearly the "main" canon and the two were clearly not the same, the two were published side by side as different works of fiction with very little interaction between them. Would you want Legends to continue in this capacity, or is it best to let sleeping continuities lie?

2. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES. I've said the same thing before using that exact Marvel analogy. No, the entire Star Wars universe isn't required to cater to me, but it's hard to see how allowing an established continuity to keep going would do anything more than put more money in Disney's pockets and keep us happy by keeping our stories going.

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Go through a few pages of threads. There is a legends thread still out there (with Great River on the title). Might want to post this kind of stuff on there instead of opening up another one.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't see why there shouldn't be, but I don't have any expectation of it happening.

5. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Realistically, besides like Force Unleashed 3 and a proper conclusion to Legacy, what is there really to tell?

Vic Sage, WebLurker and BobaMatt like this.
  6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    An ending to the Starfighter series?

DarthJaceus, ATimson, Davak24 and 2 others like this.
  7. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014

Also I'm pretty sure this exact thread has been done at least once or twice.

nb: Not that you'd expect OP to know that or search through everything before posting a new thread

8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Yes, absolutely. I am becoming a fan of the new canon, since so far there has been some really solid material, but I am also a fan of the EU, so having both is the best possible scenario.

Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire, KOTOR comics, Dark Times, Sword of the Jedi and a ton of brand new, original stories you can come up with.

9. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    As someone else who's both desperately sad that Legends is gone but slowly coming around to the new stuff, I'd like to see this?

I can understand that it probably won't happen because Disney - particularly right now - are probably worried about confusing the branding. But they are still keeping Legends material in print, and Star Trek, I believe, still publish stories in the pre-Abrams reboot continuity too?

I can see that they might not want to expend money and marketing on something that doesn't support the underlying brand, so realistically I don't think they'd consider regular new stories and ideas - at least not at this point.

But I think it'd be really nice if they finished off stuff that was announced (and presumably partially or totally complete) like SOTJ. Or even just created a series designed to tie-up loose ends and kind of...bid farewell to the Legends versions of the characters. Everything was so on hold that the last years of Legends were more...safe stories in the OT-era.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I wouldn't mind it, and I actually think it's reasonably likely on a long enough timeline, but I'm not so sure I actually want it. The more EU stuff I see make the transition into canon, the less I've come to see Legends as a distinct alternate universe in the Ultimate/616 sense and the more I see it as, well, legends--lots of discrete stories that may have elements of "truth" to them but don't all fit together perfectly. The original Clone Wars, for example, was largely great and I still love most of those stories, but the fact that towards the end they nevertheless started incorporating TCW stuff means that there's not really one coherent "Legends timeline". To the extent I do see that as a thing, it requires me, ironically, to ignore some of that later stuff and just go with pre-2008-ish EU--no Ahsoka, Mandalore is a forest, etc. Which I'm sure lots of people would be only too happy to do, but the fact remains that you're then cherry-picking which things are convenient, belying the premise that Legends is a concrete AU.

Right now, I think SotJ is the only thing that would remotely warrant a revisit, just because the character deserved it and because for all its failings, the Legacy era was so completely its own thing that the PT consistency issues would be immaterial to it. Of course, on the other hand, devoting a trilogy to Jaina Solo would be the most confusing thing possible for new ST fans, so if they did it they'd have to be 100% committed to branding it as AU. Which I really don't think is impossible, but certainly not for a long time.

AusStig, Zorrixor, BobaMatt and 3 others like this.
  11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't think there is any chance of it happening while the ST is going on. Especially now with all these legends groups beginning to lose their steam and the new stuff being received well over all.

Perhaps once the new canon stuff passes the timeline that Jaina Solo inhabited in the EU and it becomes very obvious that this isn't meant to be the story of the movies than they will give an ok to giving legends a fitting conclusion. To be honest by then though I am not sure a whole lot of people will even care anylonger.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I actually thought of one thing I'd like to see--TFU 3. Not even a game, and not even because I was that big of a fan, but just because that's one big story that genuinely got cut off before completing; and it wasn't even that long ago. I think there's more of an argument for a licensed continuation of that story, just to explain how Vader escapes (and what happened to Starkiller, Kota, etc) than for SotJ, because as much as we'd like SotJ (though even that's hardly guaranteed), it's not resolving any great cliffhangers or open questions, it'd just be another thing that happens to Jaina in a long line of Things Happening To Jaina.

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

That likely wouldn't be a possibility for a long, long time considering Rogue One is coming up and all the books that will be made surrounding that event.

14. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    It'll happen sooner or later. Where there's a market, any company will move in.

DarthJaceus, BigAl6ft6 and Davak24 like this.
  15. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Well if you follow Star Wars: The Old Republic and Fantasy Flight Games, they keep churning out non-canon stuff. I guess they never got the memo.

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yes, I said that twice already. :p

17. GFFAwakens

GFFAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2015
    This was from an interview with Den of Geek (http://www.denofgeek.us/games/star-...ic-bioware-talks-knights-of-the-fallen-empire)

Interesting to see if Disney ever decides to do anything in the KOTOR era and if any of this stands up.

You’re the only group still telling Star Wars stories in the Legends universe. How do you feel about that?
    CB: Our work is exactly as it always has been. We’re very closely tied in to the Lucasfilm story group, the same people that review the books, the films, everything.
    BM: Lucasfilm has been great. This whole year, they’ve been very excited and supportive of what we’re doing. They’re as excited as we are about Knights of the Fallen Empire. And because we’re set in our own time period so far before the events of the movies, we’re in our own BioWare space.
    CB: We’re kind of in our own realm where we get to draw from all of the cool stuff and try to do our own cool stuff too.

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Like others have said, I don't see it happening anytime soon, but... I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some stories eventually, but like people have said, they won't want to confuse the rebranding currently, so I don't see it for a few years at minimum.

But when they get to the stage that they think they've got a solid enough fanbase for the new stuff, but also think they can milk some money out of the Tales/Infinites/Alternate Universe type of stuff? I'm sure they'll do something at that point, it's just going to be a wait... however, by that point, I'm then less certain if it'll still be likely to expect conclusions like SOTJ, or just [Insert-Standalone-Infinites-Vong-Story], due to how long it'll have been for them to think enough would still care about a book series by then 10 years ago.

Which is what then leaves me unsure again what to expect.

19. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I think if they were to go back to Legends, they should keep it exclusively in the digital marketplace.

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    More NJO series books!

Davak24 likes this.
  21. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Now this is relevant to my interests.

AusStig likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If it happends, it would be cool if they focused on the ancient histoey of the galaxy. Continue DOTJ, tell a story about with a Kwa protagonist, etc.

DarthJaceus and CooperTFN like this.
  23. Lord_Darth_Angelus

Lord_Darth_Angelus Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    I don't know if they'll go back to the Legends timeline or not but I can see in a few years all the new books, comics and probably even Clone Wars and Rebels being made non canon.

Why? Because there will come a point where there will be so many of those that the film makers are going to have a hard time making sure their movies line up with the new EU. Personally I think they should have kept the Legends timeline going (or go back to it) and made it clear that it's separate from the new movies being released. It works for Marvel, no reason it couldn't work for Star Wars too.

24. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    No one knows, really. But there is a sizable portion of SW lit. fans, most of us, who would like more Legends stories.

Star Wars has a large, rich pantheon, and I strongly feel Legends stories will return, and I think sooner than most are guessing.

I don't buy for a second that these stories would confuse the layman SW reader. This is similar to Lucas's stance on the "confusing" Anakin Solo situation. It's, not that complex.

Robimus likes this.
  25. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Exactly. People who would be confused by that are unlikely to be picking up a Star Wars book in the first place. And if they're into Star Wars, it won't matter - they'll process the "two separate continuities" thing quickly enough and figure out what it is they like.

DarthJaceus, Stymi and spicer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.