main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Great River / Legends Haven MkII (Was: Should there be new stories in the Legends continuity?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hamburger_Time, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Don't know. I always thought the prequels were good and never had a problem with Lucas, and I'm a Disney fan here (and a Legends fan).

Yes, thank goodness for the Star Trek novels continuing the original iteration of the franchise (albeit in non-canon form and precious little new stuff set during the actual TV shows and movies).

Yeah, Firefly was pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the browncoats say. To be bluntly honest, I think it's cancelation was actually a reasonable decision, since I'm not sure the show had that much vitality (if you watch it, there a lot of reset pressing to keep the crew in their poverty-stricken state). On the other hand Star Trek: Enterprise was canceled way before it's time.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Semi-related to the topic of "continuing adventures of continuity", rumours are the new Star Trek TV series will be set in the "Prime-verse" (as to exactly what time, recently it was rumoured it's set after Undiscovered Country). I think the fact that the movies and TV are split among Paramount (movies) and TV (CBS) may have something to do with it, unlike for decades when it was all under the Paramount umbrella.

Of course, if the new TV show somehow overwrites the continuity of the post-Nemesis novels (if it's set in that time period, likely), it's the same deal all over again.

WebLurker likes this.
  3. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    At this point, I'd be good with like...one good reference guide, written up by Jason Fry/Dan Wallace/the old guidebook faves etc, that was just all about what happened with the arcs and plotlines that never got resolutions. Not even a novel, just a guide. ****, just a web feature on Star Wars.com if they're really that tight up for publishing slots these days. If they're committed to "Legends" being over, the least they could do is put a cap on all the stuff left hanging.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Reti and Arien Yage need to be found. These great mysteries in life keep me up at night.

5. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    The thing I'm afraid of with finishing up story arcs in Legends is that authors will be forced to compress stories to finish the series as soon as possible or try too hard to wrap up series with a bow since there will no longer be future series to explore more directions, and if this would be the case, I would rather the books not be finished off. In this sense the idea of a reference guide actually seems better to me, because it would avoid this problem while still giving enough information for readers to have a sense of closure (and I'm sure there are fan fiction writers who would do a fantastic job filling in the details from there). But I also understand how there might be some readers who prefer the reverse.

6. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I wish the Sword of the Jedi trilogy and the Skywalker family book that Timothy Zahn wanted to write were written. Would I love more than that? Probably yes, since I preferred the Bantam era to the NJO and most of what came after it.

I think it would take some careful marketing/education, but I think it'd be doable. So the average person doesn't get confused by canon and Legends. Maybe make the "Legends" label a bit more obvious on the cover, and put a little text on the back about the difference. I really don't see this as possible until after Ep 9 comes out, so the new Star Wars universe is firmly established. Its another market that Disney/Lucasfilm can profit from. Perhaps they should look at how Marvel does it, as an example of how to handle multiple time lines.

I think the biggest obstacle to this is all the hate, negativity, vitriol and abuse that's come from the BBL group and their ilk. I'm a bit ashamed now to say that I'm an EU fan, since I don't want to be pigeonholed in with them. I think a kind, respectful approach is the best. But I'm not sure if it isn't too late to go that route.

If there isn't going to be an official take on Legends, I'd like to see more high quality fan fiction. I've already fallen in love with some of the ST characters, but there are many EU characters I'm quite attached too. There's nothing to stop us fans from deciding what we want to have as our personal canon. I know my canon is very different from the official canon.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm fine ending the EU with the NJO series and not worry about dangling plot lines from DNT/LOTF/FOTJ/Crucible and other things.

If not, I would love a guide to wrap up everything.

Going to hurt not getting everything in story form and does make me wonder where things could have gone if it weren't cancelled but [face_dunno]

I'm perfectly fine fan-ficcing everything from now on.

I already have several AU Alternate endings to the NJO series with some of them going on with Post NJO stories.

Doesn't bother me that Lucas or the EU authors aren't writing the stories. Fans can write SW stories just as good as Lucas and EU writers can imo.

fett 4 likes this.
  8. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Yes, more Prime universe Star Trek, please!

I don't think the tie-ins will be a big deal. Unlike Star Wars, Star Trek novels, comics, etc. have never been considered canonical and have never been 100% synced together for internal consistency. (There is some, esp. within the new novels, but basically each item exists on it's own and doesn't need to match other stuff.)

9. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Yes. We got the Essential Readers Companion but it needs to include images of the characters, ships, planets.

And the sad thing was that a EU character encyclopedia was planned before the aquisistion but then postponed till after TFA and canon.

If they felt generous, then box sets would be nice for each series. It would make it easier to collect for new fans and likely cheaper too.

And more art!

WebLurker and Valiowk like this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Wish that we could have gotten the Japanese covers for LOTF and FOTJ.

TERC had summaries of the stories and some behind the scenes stuff of NJO but not sure what else.

Getting pictures of characters, planets, aliens, ships etc that we haven't seen would have been awesome.

Barriss_Coffee and Darthmaul208 like this.
  11. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014

This is exactly what I was thinking when I was reading this thread yesterday. I think while the Marvel / Disney prime SW universe is being built and established it might be more difficult to continue any legends stories to avoid confusion for people who are not as informed with the legends stuff as a lot of us are. But once they've got the primary stories and spin-offs all going in the one, hopefully, consistent, universe, then opening up legends might be more possible commercially without confusing new fans.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If they really thought people would be confused, why bother with the Legends banner at all? Why bother to keep issuing the stuff with a signpost that says 'not really what happened but still fun and worth reading'?

I think people are smarter than a lot of posters here are allowing for!

13. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    When I wrote that I was thinking about people like my sister and her sons and their understanding of the SW universe, which is very minimal. They're not die-hard fans by any means but they might still buy the odd book or piece of merchandise. If they saw new Legend's material I think it would confuse them because they don't know the first thing about Legends or the old EU. For regular fans though - I agree - people are pretty smart.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    So 25 years since Heir to the Empire came out. Wow.

Barriss_Coffee, BigAl6ft6 and Stymi like this.
  15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    There's a fantastic story behind Arien Yage out there somewhere. The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia entry on Moff Yage from Legacy says that he and Gunner are part of the famous "Yage family," which of course leads me to suspect that Arien became some sort of badass warlord in the Unknown Regions and picked up the Empire of the Hand's war after they folded into the Chiss Ascendancy. It follows naturally, people!

If LFL were committed to not continuing any more Legends stories but still had a hankering to wrap up a couple of storylines, I'd love to see a huge Making-of book about the history of the EU. More in line with J.W. Rinzler's Making of books about the Original Trilogy, full of behind the scenes photos of those famous planning meetings at Skywalker Ranch, concept art for comic and video game characters, quotes and short interviews with authors, artists, and developers... notes about how the internet and the rise of Wookieepedia changed the face of the EU... like the Reader's Companion but a hundred times better. And they could sneak in little blurbs by Denning, Golden, Luceno, Ostrander, Kemp, Dan, Jason, Abel, whomever, that are written Essential Guide-style and that wrap up some EU loose ends. Intended to be taken as Legends-canon.

They could call it Myths and Legends: The Making of the Expanded Universe. And I'd buy ten copies.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    From The Alliance to Preserve the Expanded Universe page

[​IMG]

Posted with "so much feels" by the page. I think the most fascinating comment was the one saying "Screw justice, I just want revenge".

17. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    They must never have gone through the wonderful experience of having their favorite character stuffed in the fridge. Or read Crucible.

18. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

I get the analogy, but I'm pretty sure that people who have had friends or family murdered would probably take exception. (I also wonder if it's that good an idea to be this attached to any line of fiction.)

Also, it's not really that good an analogy, since the books still exist. You can still spend time with them. If you lost the book and couldn't replace it, maybe.

Also, I was big into Legends back in the day (still have a soft spot for it, believe it or not), and was let down by the shlock they were turning out at the end. So, for me, my friend got through his troubles and we were able to start having good times again. (Remember, there's only one Star Wars franchise, here. That hasn't changed.)

Darth Caliban and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That is some awesomely excessive hyperbole, though!

WebLurker likes this.
  20. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Yes, please. I am not sure exactly what they should do, but there is still a wealth of material left to explore. I would love to see more Rule of Two Sith, seeing as we skipped about 900 years from Zannah and Cognus to Tenebrous and Plagueis.

Darthmaul208 and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    That is ****ing hilarious...and pathetic.

#1stworldproblems

22. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Just another poorly thought out analogy brought up by these guys. Anyone that tries to equate what happened to the EU to a real life friend getting murdered is plain and simple being foolish.

Aside from all the spamming they did another reason why people tend not to think much of them is because their facebook site owners think signs like what we see above our clever.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  23. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    Disgusting.

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, if this is what passes for that group being reasonable I'm not very impressed.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The page is here if anyone wants to check it out

https://www.facebook.com/alliancetopreservetheeupage/

However, I did just see a very cool post where they donated a ton of Legends books to a local library.

[​IMG]

Hello Star Wars fans!

Today I took on the task of finding a home for all these wonderful stories. It took me a few tries to locate a library that would accept donations into their collection, but I was thrilled that the one I found that did accept them was actually the library I worked at almost a decade ago while in college. This library was also the library where I found and read my first Star Wars Expanded Universe novel, X-Wing: The Bacta War, so you could say it has a special place in my heart.

I could not help but feel excited at the idea that someone might come in to the library in the future and find these books on the shelves, perhaps one of them being their own introduction to the Expanded Universe just like The Bacta War was for me nearly two decades ago.

We did well everyone.

Thank you for all you have done so far!

Oh and...we may just have another project to announce soon too, so be sure to check back with the Give Us Legends page and other Expanded Universe Movement pages in the next week or so!

That's actually something I can get behind. Sadly, a sort of cheerful, fan friendly initiative like that seems to be a rarity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.