main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Vong return in Disney Canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I like the concept of an invasion from another superior-tech galaxy in general. It doesen't have to be Vong, but I'd like to see some of this post-ST. Including characters such as

- The New Jedi Order's Yoda (Luke)
    - Some noble position anywhere (Leia)
    - Poe, Finn, Rey who, by the guidance of the two above succeeds
    - Kylo Ren being one of the most powerful individuals against the invaders
    - Force Ghosts

2. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001

Yeah, it'd be nice to see the Vong again, but it will not be the same kind of scope as the NJO. To be fair, that series was stretched unnecessarily with a lot of stupid decisions from both the New Republic, and the Jedi, which padded the conflict.

SyndicThrass likes this.
  3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Okay the new head honchos at Lucasfilm would they be able to handle Vong religion or not?

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm sorry I just wouldn't like that. It would acid in the eyes of EU fans and NJO fans in particular if they did that.

5. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I'd rather they don't. They way they have dealt with Thrawn is very off-putting to me and the Vong concept is too far (horror-gore-dark) from the way the current canon is being handled.

I'd have no problem with another invasion story and some other weird galaxy outsiders, just like I wouldn't mind some other Chiss villain who likes art and wasn't hyped as or named Thrawn. Not cause I'm a purist or fanboy of the characters or concepts, but because it feels like a creative detriment to shoehorn them in.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I say the Vong shouldn't be brought into canon in anyway. They were a very 1990's style creation when alien invasion stories were a pretty popular concept to tell stories about. That isn't the case now though. You don't see those kinds of stories in popular media very often anymore and when they do try to make one it's generally poorly received. ID4 sequel was a bomb and the Men in Black hasn't done much for about 15 years now.

Just leave the Vong as is so they don't become another one of those fad's that are attempted to be brought back after the expiration date has already passed. I don't think people would connect with them now nearly as well as they did in the time when Independence Day and Men in Black were actually considered to be 'in' franchises.

Havoc123 likes this.
  7. NexuLeader

NexuLeader Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 18, 2017
    Out of universe: Since the Vong originally came to a very 'set' galaxy, where we knew all of the pieces and had a pretty solid lock on the canon timeline post-ROTJ to Vector Prime, I don't think the NEU is ready for something like them. Star Wars is now still in the process of bringing things back into canon and (re)building the timeline. Something with the weight of the Yuuzhan Vong wouldn't really fit in.

In universe: One of the things I loved about NJO was that the galaxy was ripe for battle: a full Jedi order, the unified New Republic, Imperial Remnant, etc. meant that there was a galaxy with the means to wage war on such a large scale, and the political intrigue of the different factions allowed for storylines to make that possible. The Vong can only conceivably fit after the ST now, and the galaxy as we've seen it in TFA definitely doesn't seem ready.

AusStig, Daneira and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Another idea of a galactic invasion, instead of being in the far future post ST, it happened a long long time ago. So the Vong introduced in TCW could be descendants of a failed invasion. It could have been heavily damaging (though not on NJO scale, no Coruscant takeover). Giving ancient Jedi a threat that is neither Sith nor mando. Though if they did return, I hope they keep religious extremism aspect. I know various people would dislike that, and it does create parallels to certain middle eastern groups. Still their beliefs further distinguished themselves from the Sith and Empire, part of the reason they should stay.

9. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Watch it be that witnesses of observation of a single actual outside species spurred lots of exaggerated stories by Spacers about weird outside races. Origins of legends and myths involving aliens called, in different stories, Rakata, Gree, Sith, etc, each story more fantastic and ridiculous and giving them more power and influence in what they 'originated' than the ones before it.

"What was the source of x? Well, these Aliens from outside came in and brought their crazy x with them. They were called, uh, the [y]! I know this, 'cause they kidnapped me, and I overheard it all!"

"What was the origins of the Sith Religion?"
    [​IMG]

"Why was the Empire really developing superweapons?"
    [​IMG]

"Where did hyperdrive tech come from?"
    [​IMG]

10. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I really like the Vong, but I think they should stay in Legends. The types of stories SW is currently telling don't need the Vong so they shouldn't be used, at least not for a long while

11. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Thrawn should make s reference to "far outsiders" in Rebels.

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The Vong were a galactic quake in NJO having them be alien villains of the week would be totally disrespectful not just to the fans and the characters/concepts but to the authors than spent over five years working on the NJO.

The Vong are more than horror-they have sympathetic figures, villains-tactical-Lah, duplicitous-Anor, Crazy-Onimi, big bad-Shimmra. They were probably among the most detailed cultures and villains in the EU.

The religious aspect would more than likely be ignored to avoid causing offense or commenting on current politics, the pain aspect would be ignored because let's be honest Disney isn't into that sort of sci fi violence. The force-lessness of the Vong as stated by Pablo would have been done away with completely ruining the whole arc from Vector Prime to TUF.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So you're saying that he should..... Let it go?

[​IMG]

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Maybe Darth Invictus should start reading the Vader and Dr. Aphra comic. Maybe then he'd realize that the new canon would be fully capable of properly handling such violence if they so wished. Heck maybe he should watch R1 to see how they are capable of handling violence and mature themes in TGFFA

Qel likes this.
  15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I hate that song, really I really do.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Bet you hate the cast of Zootropolis too.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I would enjoy this, particularly if they are used like the concept from TCW - as creepy villains for a X-Files style episode.

AusStig and darklordoftech like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I have to admit, I'm far from a fan of the Vong, but the Worms arc showed how effectively horror could be done without much in the way of total gore - that model could work for the Vong quite well.

19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    If that's the way they were gonna be used the I would expect the embrace of pain to make an appearance, would be criminal not to use it in that context.

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I hope so. I find them more interesting antagonists than the First Order TBH

21. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    The problem with bringing over major concepts from The Classic EU to the NEU is that because of the changes that are occuring witht h new direction, it will never really be the same thing.

Take Quinlan Vos. Went from bad-ass double-agent to....odd surfer dude in TCW. Thrawn is pretty close to the scheming mastermind he was, but the mid-season trailer has him training in physical combat which is not something ever seen before, and his fascination with art has been significantly downgraded.

At this point I'd much rather see them do something new. Save the Classic EU characters for when they eventually start releasing new "Legends" brand material.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Shedao Shai, Nom Anor, Czulkang Lah, Onimi, Mezhan Kwaad etc.

AusStig likes this.
  23. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011
    Yeah, I think there's a misunderstanding of Dave's terminology regarding the unproduced scripts. What he continues to say is that he "considers [unproduced events from the show] to have happened," which is different from said events being canon. The former means that, internally, LucasFilm will create new Star Wars content with the assumption those events occurred, as exemplified in the Ashoka novel and Rebels referencing the intended Clone Wars finale, but the details of the "Siege of Mandalore" arc (and other episodes from the show) aren't canon until that script is released in an officially published material, whether that be a novel, comic, or animatic. All that's canon so far regarding the Siege is what has been mentioned by Maul and what Ashoka recollects in the novel.

Still: it is comforting to think those stories haven't been forgotten by LucasFilm, and could very well be sitting in a vault to be released some day. That Filoni is treating those episodes as having occurred is exciting in itself, even if it isn't canon as of yet.

Barriss_Coffee and Stymi like this.
  24. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

His TCW appearance was a prelude to his path as a conflicted double-agent in-over-his-head in what was to be the Dark Disciple episodes.

25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The Vong were a very heavy heavy heavy thematic and storytelling point. I don't want Vong-lite. I want the whole package-religion, pain, force immunity and EU culture or nothing.

AusStig, Barriss_Coffee and DelRiego like this.