main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should we have a forum devoted entirely to EU polls?

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Poll forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Sep 26, 2002.

?

Should we have a forum devoted entirely to EU polls?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Yes, this will do nicely.

29.3%
  2. No, we don't need a forum just for that.

70.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
  2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    If the majority votes yes, then this forum will be converted into a EU polls forum. If this happens, poll will be deactivated in Literature.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Just stand firm on the "No 'What's your Favorite _________'" poll rule in lit, and we should be fine with polls there. Plus with the 5-poll cap, it's not like a member could post an extraodinary amount of polls anyway. . .

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There's a 5-poll cap limit in EU Lit?

5. anakin85

anakin85 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    I agree with Mastadge. If the mods feel that a poll is trivial or just plain dumb, they should simply lock it.

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    There's a 5-poll cap limit in EU Lit?

I think there's a 5-poll cap limit on every user. Every time I open a new poll in any forum, I'm told I already have 5 open and need to close one before I can open the new one.

7. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    I don't think a seperate poll forum would attract many visitors anyway, and IMO the system we have right now works just fine. Every time Lit gets too clogged with polls, the mods shut them off for a while, long enough for everyone to cool down again. I don't see much wrong with an on/off system like that, and as Mastadge pointed out, the limits that are already present help as well.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh oh oh... I thought you meant there could be only 5 open polls in Lit, not that each individual user could have 5 polls...

9. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Isn't this a tad redundant?

Anyhoo, as I said in the other poll, yes, an Census-like forum for Lit is the only way I'd like to see Lit-related polls.

10. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    I don't think it's really needed, they all seem to degenerate into debate threads anyway, and debate threads don't need polls on top.

11. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
  12. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    We sort of tried that already with the EUC, although unofficially. Polls weren?t allowed in Lit, but any EU related poll was allowed in the EUC. That didn?t turn out too well, IMO.

13. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I don't think we need a seperate EU Forum for Polls.

We already have the census forum (which I created).

If polls are required, we can have them in either the Literature forum, or the Expanded Universe Community Forum.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think we need a seperate forum for EU polls.

15. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I don't think a separate Forum is needed. The polls never bothered me that much. Really, how difficult is it to move to the next thread if you don't like something?

16. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes, on a trial basis. If it doesn't seem to work, then no.

17. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    We should try it for a month and see how it works out. If it becomes popular and not redundant, then have it on a more permament basis.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No. It's redundant. Keep polls in Lit, but regulate them.

19. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I voted yes, I say we need polls either in here or activated in the lit forum.

Axl.

20. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I voted no. We don't need a new forum. If polls get out of hand in Lit, they should be deactivated for short periods, just remind people that polls are only good in moderation.

21. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I don't think we need a separate forum for polls. :D

After all I think that a poll here and there lightens the mood occasionally. :D

Also most Lit Forum regulars are a responsible sort of lot [face_shocked] and won't get to carried away. :p

22. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I beg to differ. Every single time they allow polls, it gets out of control very quickly. The longest it lasted was about a week.

23. jacesolo1138

jacesolo1138 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    I don't think we need a seperate forum just for polls. If the amount of polls in the forum gets out of hand maybe there should be a seperate one but i dont think that'll happen.

24. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I think part of the reason polls get out of hand is because they are deactivated for so long. If they aren't possible for 4 months at a time, then members joining since the deactivation think it's a new feature they should try it out, and a whole bunch of polls crop up. If we leave them on, they lose their "specialness" and they might peak every once in a while, but would probably reach some sort of steady state.

25. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I said no. Most polls seem to devolve into [insert name here] is better than [insert name here] If the poll is actually of use or is unique there shouldn't be a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.