1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Brisbane (28th-30th November)

FF:NZ Should we have a Social Thread?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Chansplace, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    My dad grew in Denmark when it was occupied by Nazis

Interesting story about the Danes, in the rest of europe jews had to wear the star of david to make it nice and easy for the Nazis to identify them and take them away, the Danes (god bless them) all put on the star so that the Nazis would have had to take everyone away. as it turns out no danish jews were killed during the holocaust
  2. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Something I didn't know about my ancestory country... if you can call it that. I'm half danish. My Grandparents on my dad's side came here from Denmark. Popa arrived here via the Merchant Nazy and he was classed as an "alien" and was told he could either join an armed force or be put in jail; so he joined the AirForce.

Strange I found this, that this country would throw someone from another country in jail, or allow him to join a force. lol If popa was "bad" he could have taken NZ air craft etc out. But they just allowed him to join. hehehe
  3. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    yeah, the whole story of the Danish resistance and the Nazi occupation is really intersting. My grandmother on my father's side was Jewish. (Well, she was Jewish by race although she was raised a protestant in Holland.) Anyway, when the Germans occupied Denmark she managed to go about her life unnoticed. My Dad's family lived in a small village in Jutland, and even though there were German troops there they never noticed, and no one in the village ever said anything.

Her sister, who was still in Holland, spent a few years in a Labour camp, although from the sound of it nothing bad ever happened to her there.
  4. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Really? Back then in a village everyone knew everyone, and so I guess your family was lucky to escape the "eyes" and go about their lives. :)

These day's no one would know anyone else's religion unless you specifically ask them.
  5. Mr_Deflok Jedi Knight

star 1
    The other day my girlfriend and I went up to Mount Vic at night, was beautiful seeing the city lit up below us and the straight rush in the breeze. She lay her head in my lap and we told each other how much we loved one another. Unfortunately it started to rain so we had to run back down to the car, she looked awfully cute though, all wet and flustered.

Look at that, no mention of Star Wars, how social is that for you?
  6. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    mt vic is nice at nights, probably the best view in the city

personally i dig living in kelburn, i get to ride the cable car most days, damm thats a good view, in all weather

speaking of weather, how crap has it been in wellington over the last month or so?

[still no mention of star wars]
  7. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    on the subject of Nazis, one of hitlers grandparents was jewish I believe.

As for wellington, I visted for a week in march and the weather was fab! Nice city too could almost see myself living there if they got a decent super 12 team ;-)
  8. Mr_Deflok Jedi Knight

star 1
    The weather has been quite iffy, raining one second, clear the next, however it was worth the risk that night, was really romantic being up there with her.

<Star What now?>
  9. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ready for a rant? Great!

Wellington sucks. I hate that city with a passion. The only thing it has for me is a ferry terminal to aid in my travels from Chch to Auckland.

Useless crappy streets that change name 3 times when it should be just one name. Bollocks intersections and poor positioning of one way streets.

windy windy windy. I hate the wind. I hate Wellington.

End rant.

Wasn't Himler jewish also?

//shrugs shoulders//

//leaves to post in already exsisting SOCIAL THREAD//

edit = hmmm which one? They're all social here. :p
  10. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    wellington is a great town, the wind thing is pretty rare IMO
  11. keokiswahine Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *peeks in* :)

hey, humble, howz it going? :D
  12. Mr_Deflok Jedi Knight

star 1
    It's quite windy at the moment but not all the time. As for streets having their names changed all the time, I'm not aware of it but it is possible. I have not patriotism towards Wellington but I do like it more than Auckland. Auckland is too flat, has no greenery and is far too hot. However I still very much enjoy going to Auckland every now and again because there's no denying that your shops are superior to Wellington's, I mean for godsakes, you've got Borders! I'd live there if I could.
  13. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Auckland is too flat, has no greenery and is far too hot.

Excuse me? Umm, don't go to Chch then. Auck's is NOT FLAT. It is made up of valleys and ridges for godsake. lol :p

No greenery?

//bites lip and holds back inflamitory comments//

:p ;)

Anyway - yea, shops and takeaways. mmmmm wendys. It always comes back to wendys.

nuff said.
  14. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    OOH ARR!

Wot you landlubbers need is to experience the thrills o'the high seas! :p

15. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  16. Tahi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd be quite interested in chatting informally to other fan fic writers. Is there anyone here who writes? Or wants to write? Or reads fanfic?

Re: the weather. We took a trip up to the NI during the school hols. Worst crossing in the ferry ever! No way I'm ever joining the navy! Wind, rain, floods, argh. Was actually glad to get back to Dunedin. :D ;) Reminded me of a trip to Stewart Island a few years ago when it rained solidly - and I mean SOLIDLY - for 5 days. Know to take flippers next time I go away.
  17. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi Tahi :) How are things surviving at the fanfic boards? I lurk there from time to time to check out the local creative scene.
  18. Tahi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hi Kitt - not bad at all. Found some very good stories to follow. There's another NZer who's writing an interesting Jacen story, but he's the only other NZer I know about who writes. I've discovered that certain sets of characters will get you a huge fandom no matter how well you write ;) so it's all a bit of a lottery as to how many readers you get. It also helps if you're aged about 14-16 and female, too - so that counts me out. :D (Well, on the first count that is.) Of course it's like that with anything. There are some lovely imaginative stories though - really well-written. Some people come up with all sorts of interesting plot ideas.

Do you know of any other NZ writers?
  19. Tahi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think I've found a room that echoes ;)
  20. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  21. purplebabbit Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm not creative enough to write fanfic, but I like reading it. Have quite a few stories that I'm following at the moment, but some of them have died, haven't been round to the boards to start reading a few more..
  22. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry for not replying to your post earlier, Tahi - my computer is currently in pieces while I try and fix it with a piece of no. 8 wire. I'll just be on now and then when my mum isn't using hers.

Kiwi fanfic writers ... apart from you and myself, there was a poster here a short while back, Kai Halicron, who mentioned to me that he was working on some fanfic. He hadn't put it on the web though.

I've done a search on fanfiction.net in the past, and found quite a few in various other fandoms. It would be quite cool to form a social mailing list one of these days.

23. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yea, Kai Halicon, has left these fair lands. Something to do with work and not being able to access the boards anymore.

:(

He's always online on msn, but rarely is able to reply.
  24. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    so the "should we have a social thread" thread is now. for all intents and purposes, a "social thread".

the wonders of modern technology ...
  25. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    General Chit Chat is far superior.

[face_plain]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.