main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Should we have a WA Admin? (Moderator)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Master_Kaustin, Feb 1, 2003.

?

Should we have a WA Admin? (Moderator)

Poll closed Feb 6, 2003.
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
  2. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    yes i think we NEED one... we need a local mod me thinks

3. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    we don't have one? i thought it was one for each state forum or something? is Stinky Jawa freom WA?

i got the impression today at the meet that there'd be enough people using this forum to have an admin,

4. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    voted

mod eh....

5. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Voted. I think we need a Mod because things are getting a little out of control on the boards at the moment.

6. Darth_Soup

Darth_Soup Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    Stinky Jawa is a City Rep, basically a friendly face who represents us to everyone else, and who looks after the place. However he has absolutle no powers to do anything, that is up to the moderators.

There are no WA moderators, all of them are from over East. But considering how many threads have been derailed recently, it is obvious no-one over in the Eastern States has been paying attention, and it is plain to see that we need someone with everyones best interests at hand, not someone who pops in from time to time to check up.

This is a topic that has been brought up time and time again over here, and I hope that the powers that be are paying attention.

DS

7. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    HEy all,

thanx for posting Yes or No... Its great to see the interest already!! AS per the reason for it, its muchly what Darth_Soup said.. WE need someone in WA who knows everyone to moderate the WA Board. So Please Vote all ... And if it all goes well We will Poll for nominations!

8. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    yeah VERY valid point!!

Stinky_jawa is DEFINATELY the one i would want to have as the local admin.. you up for it stinky?

9. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    <silent hum>

Voted.

EDIT: What does this mean... his a nut, tis crazier den a coconut... but what does dis mean...

10. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I've voted. As DS pointed out, this certainly isn't the first time we've wanted a local moderator. I just hope we can have one since the vote obviously indicates that most of us want one. After all, we used to have a local moderator on the old forum but we lost that when we came here.

11. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I'd be up for it.. but if its an admin position for WA, then there should probably be a vote.. Im sure there are a few folks that would like a crack at it..

Still, Shara is pretty swift (if not darn instant) to react to our admin'ing needs atm...

12. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Voted. Still think I'd prefer a local.

EDIT: ... no offence. Shara.

13. Reactor

Reactor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2003
    Um... why do you guys want one?

14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    Voted.

I also think we need one.

15. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Do we need more than one RSA for the Oceania region? Perhaps.

Do we need one specifically for WA? You wish. :p

If an RSA was given specifically to WA, every other state would want one, and it would pretty much negate the need for CRs and create way too many moderators. Just out of interest...who would you nominate to be an RSA out of the FF WA community, and do you think that the GSAs would agree that they are the best choice?

The problem with having a mod for each small community like this is that there are fewer good choices for modship. Having a second RSA to help Shara out may not be a bad idea, but having them purely to moderate WA? Sorry guys, but you're not that rowdy. If you see something you think shouldn't be there, don't sit around expecting Shara to immediately see it, go PM her and let her know about it.

16. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    from what i gathered pon saturday, there are heaps of aussie mods, and they all live in sydney. i also heard mention of certain happenings that were desperately needing dealt with within the local group here but the sydney admins either didn't know/didn't care about the whole story and let personal grudges get in the way of certain members being harrassed by interstate and overseas posters.
    anyone who was actually around at the time, and was directly involved want to make that any clearer for people?

17. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Just to clarify a point there: many JC mods live in Australia, mainly in Sydney. However, they have no jurisdiction over FanForce, and generally don't do any moderating on Shara's turf unless it is an emergency.

I wasn't around for all the drama that's occurred here, but I do lurk around all of Oceania, and I keep an eye on what's happening. I'm more than happy to talk to Shara and see how much attention she's been paying to this forum, but it would be unwise to assume that personal grudges are the reason for any problems here. Once again, I'll plead with you: if you believe there are problems here, do something about it and PM Shara. If you don't think she's doing her job properly, PM her about it or let a GSA know. But I know Shara, and I know she values her position here over any petty grudges she may have with individuals in this forum.

18. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
  19. Darth_Soup

Oct 15, 2001
    OK, time for a rant.....

(Deep Breath)

Personally I believe Shara does have a personal problem with a few people on these boards, however I don't believe that is the problem.

I believe that the position of RSA is redundant. One person should not be responsible for a place as vast as Australia.

These boards are a place for discussion of Star Wars related topics as well as fan based gathering events and the like.

There IS a personal element on the boards, no matter what people try to tell anyone, and therefore, someone who knows the whole story by being a mature and respected member of the social circles, should be responsible for thier area. We shouldn't have to give the moderators 8 different versions of whatever situation arises before they do something, it should be solved by someone who knows what is going on.

I believe that the position of City Rep should be that of a moderator, someone who monitors it all, and has the power to step in when required, as voted on BY THE PEOPLE OF THE AREA THEY ARE MONITORING. Voting can be based on a number of criteria, such as peoples respect, maturity, knowledge and general objectivity. No-one respects a faceless person who steps in every now and again and who may not understand the bigger picture.

These mods should ONLY have powers based in thier own territory, and other mods should butt out of things they have no knowledge about.

In the case of the general boards it should be put to a vote by everyone. If someone gets voted in on multiple boards, such as a local board and a general board, good on them, it shows they have the respect of the people that know them.

This is how it used to be on the old boards for here, this is how it is on all of the other boards I frequent.

This would pretty much eliminate personal problems, by being able to sort things out quicker by people who know the problems, and make these boards an easier place to run, and a nicer more organised place to visit.

I have a lot more I could add, however I think I have bored you all enough.....for now.

END OF RANT

DS

EDIT: In response to one of HawkNC's comments....

"Just out of interest...who would you nominate to be an RSA out of the FF WA community, and do you think that the GSAs would agree that they are the best choice? "

Why should it be of any concern of the GSA's who is the moderator? All we need is someone who WE all respect the judement of and who WE think is mature. Who are the GSA's to be able to judge the character of somone based upon what they read on a message board. Similar to a Prime-Minister being voted in by the people they represent, a moderator should be voted in by the people they moderate. Then there is no problem with being controlled by a faceless person who really has no idea what is going on, and who we don't have any reason to respect. People don't respect a title, they respect people who can prove they are worth it. If you have to suck up to a GSA to get a position, doesn't that basically mean that power is granted to people who just put on a facade rather than people who deserve it?

END RANT 2

DS

20. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    "Popular rule is not democracy. It gives the people what they want, not what they need." -Padme Amidala, AOTC

I have to ask you to take a board-wide view here. Say someone from here was voted in by you guys to become WA's RSA because you all think that person is cool. That person loves his colours (I'm going to use "him" for the sake of simplicity here, nothing sexist), and loves having a bit of control. However, because of the way FanForce/Jedi Council is set up, that person has the ability to ban and edit not only here, but over 220 boards in the Jedi Council system.

You may have trust in this person, but ultimately the GSAs have the final say because they are experienced board-wide as to who will be the best moderator. When a person is promoted, they have the ability to use their powers anywhere in FF/JC, thus it is a board-wide issue when a user is promoted to moderator.

I hope that makes a bit of sense.

EDIT: Yes, I couldn't agree with you more that the RSAs should have a rapport with each area they oversee. But if each CR was made a moderator, there would be more moderators here than boards. The CR is primarily a real-life position, colours are only to denote the fact that they organise real-life stuff. RSAs are the board managers, and while they should know the people they are watching over, their job is to ensure the forum is a safe place to post.

21. Darth_Soup

Oct 15, 2001
    Popular rule is not democracy, that much is true, however what people need is someone who knows the problems. Having an all powerful dictator is further from democracy, and a cause of more problems. Who do we complain to then if the dictator acts up? If we select the person moderating, we also have the right to vote them out if they are suitable. Also if you are going to quote someone to make a point, please try a credible source.

The main problem I see then is that these boards are not set up for anywhere near the right amount of people. It seems to be set up for a few hundred people, not a hundred thousand.

Basically all moderators should only have the right to moderate where they have the jurisdiction. And as they don't have it now, why not create more mods and have them limited to thier own area. If they feel the need to moderate out of thier area obviously thay are unfit for the position......and should therefore be replaced.

Lets face it, only an idiot would vote in someone who is cool. I am far from cool but I have had people say they would want me to do the role, because I am open, honest, I say my mind if it is relevant, and above all else they respect my opinion. Personally I don't think I would take the role because I think many of the people in power here, don't belong there and I wish no association between myself and them.

And no matter what you say about "the GSAs have the final say because they are experienced board-wide as to who will be the best moderator", it is not true. You can not tell a persons true capabilities through an internet persona. To get a position of "power" as you put it, you essentially have to kiss ass to the GSA's.

Shara_82 has been proven to have personal problems with certain members and also in my opinion not do her job when it has been required. I gave her more than enough evidence to ban a person who was beyond a nuisance, according to the Terms Of Service, a list of at least 5 bannable offences by a certain person, with the proof to back it up, but I was willing to let it all go with an apology. I was not even granted that satisfaction. I believe she is unfit for the position based on her actions. But what is the point of challenging her. She gets to put forward her replies in private to the GSA's on the moderator boards where she can say what she likes unchallenged.

On that subject of the moderator boards, I propose that these be made public, not for posting in, but to monitor actions.

It has also been proven in the past that mods use these forums to do things that would get other people banned such as distributing links that should not be on these boards (one such link being for pirate copies of movies). I believe that this is a gross misuse of power, and that public moderation of the moderators should occur. If others could see what goes on behind closed doors, unrest like this would not occur.

If everything was locally done, none of these petty power struggles would happen.

DS

22. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    if the concern is that this person would then go about modding all over the jc, then does that not show a preemptory distrust in that person that they would not just mod in wa?
    and where are you from anyway? as far as i can see it's the people in the wa forum who want a local administrator. and the largest, in fact only, voice against it is from an interstater.
    the votes been done, it's obvious what we here in the west want, why can't it be done?

distrust of western australians aside of course? [face_plain]

edit: this was in response to hawknc, which Darth Soup handled far more eloquently and to the point than i could :)

23. Darth_Soup

Oct 15, 2001
    And another quick one, I think that we would be the only location based forum that is moderated from 4000km away. We need someone who know what is happening HERE not on the other side of the country.

DS

24. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I think some of the problems stem from some major flaws in the snowboards system. I moderate on a couple of other forums and this is the only one I post on where moderators can't have their authority limited to certain areas (such as a local forum). I think it's a worry if a moderator of something as unrelated as a collectors forum (can't think of a better example unfortunately), could waltz on over here and ban someone from the WA forum which has nothing to do with them. Things like that have hapenned before.
    On the old forums, each city rep was a moderator and I never saw any evidence of anyone abusing that power. There may have been instances that I wasn't aware of. I believe that things ran a lot more smoothly then. Once things were moved here, that was apparently no longer possible and local moderators became little more than glorified middle-men. I don't doubt that Shara's doing her best, and since I've been a city rep myself, I know she does, but that's one person for a whole country's worth of forums.
    As was mentioned, maybe a second RSA would be a good idea and maybe that person could come from WA. If we can't have a moderator for the WA forum, then it would at least be nice to have a general moderator who knows the local scene. There haven't been any big problems on here recently, to the credit of all the people who post here. When there were problems a while back though, there were delays, because everything had to be relayed through a city rep to an RSA who got most of the details about what had hapenned second hand, through sources that were sometimes biased. Some of those delays, I think worsened some of the problems. I think it would have been difficult then for Shara to get the full story about what was hapenning since she only knew what was posted on the forums or PMed to her.

25. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    i'll mention my point again about prempitve distrust about modding outside of ones jurisdiction, if a mod did that, they could be demoted right? so why would they do it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.