main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Should we have a WA Admin? (Moderator)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Master_Kaustin, Feb 1, 2003.

?

Should we have a WA Admin? (Moderator)

Poll closed Feb 6, 2003.
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarryn_Whiteheart

Tarryn_Whiteheart Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2003
    Personally, I think the above posts make more of a point as to why we shouldn't have a W.A. Moderator. True, by default, we are a "Western Australian" Clique simply by being here, but the real danger is if a Local Moderator is raised, Cliques forming around him/her.
    It is easy to say that a WA Mod would be totally impartial, but when you think about it objectively, that is simply not the case, irrespective of the motivations of the person who was the Moderator. We all have our associations and alliances, and there is nothing going to cause as much dissent as a WA Mod stepping into the fray in an arguement, and ruling in favour of an associate of theirs. Even if them banning a member was totally above board, you would always have some claiming favouritism, and it turning into an us/them situation..I have seen it in other Boards a few times.

Example, if I am the Moderator, and a few of my friends, people that I have worked on projects with before, are in a dispute with another person, and my friends are in the 'Wrong' by the Terms of Service, it puts me in the position of either having to put the slap down on my friends (with the resultant stress of that), doing nothing (And being accused of favouritism), or rallying to my friends (And actually SHOWING favouritism). Humanly, I am more likely to err on the side of my friends than the outsider, if both parties are in the wrong, so Impartiality is impossible to achieve. The only true way to achieve impartiality is to have a Moderator who has no personal ties with the protaganists, and therefore no motivation other than seeing that all are treated fairly. It doesn't matter where the person is from, be it Sweden, Sydney, or Neptune, so long as they are not from here. This is the reason why Judges recuse themselves from hearing cases that involve people known to them, because good intentions notwithstanding, there is no way they can be objective about the issue before them.

It sounds like the true issue is more one of trust than physical location. I can't comment on Shara_82's abilities as a Moderator, other than to say that all of her posts that I have seen in the last week seem fair and reasonable. If you feel you are getting a raw deal, and that by being in WA you are being unfairly prejudiced by Shara_82 (Note that I am not saying by an Eastern States Moderator), then I am sure there are protocols to follow for you to present your reasons to the Powers-that-Be.

At the end of the day, it doesn't personally effect me; I am a fairly easy guy to get along with, and hopefully will have no run-ins with the Moderators, wherever they are from :).

2. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    well if that were the case, and the local mod was indeed an assistant rsa, then if someone thought they were being unfair they would have someone else to go to to get a fair hearing,
    as i understand it, thats what this thread is asking for, not the downfall of shara and the burning of her corpse, but another mod who is local, can assist the rsa and is in touch with local people here as well as in rapport with the rest of the mods over east.
    i don't see how this could be anything but good.

edit: also, could i please see that list of aussie mods, their geographical locations and positions/jobs on these boards? without being told it's irrelevant or being fobbed off this time? i'm not the only person interested in this.

3. Reactor

Reactor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2003
    Eliminate the probelms of siding, and make me the moderator.

No one likes me.
    I have no friends.
    I hate everyone back.

Problem solved ;)

You know, I have to ask. What's your interest MisFitToy? You're brand new to this forum, aren't you? Aren't people like us supposed to sit back for ages and watch everything go to hell, and then jump up and shout "Hah! I KNEW that would happen!".

I don't really understand this thread, myself. This is just a forum. Last time I checked, this was a place for people to come and post thoughts, ideas (etc) and not a professionally run corporation with 100 billion dollars of stock resting on the line.

Can't people these days just sit back, relax a little, and enjoy a forum, without having to force it into the world war of debates for no important reason? Forums run just fine without moderation, you know.

*hides behind a rock again*

4. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    what's my interest? i've asked whats hawks interest and got no response to that point!
    ok, i'm a newbie, or n00b or whatever else you want to describe someone you've never seen b4, but i initially joined this discussion because i thought we already had a person here in wa who was our mod, when it's not the case and it's asked why, we get interstate people and the current rsa doing all they can to get rid of the idea!
    that's my interest, i smell something rotten in this state of affairs. [face_plain]

5. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    wat use would a mod be for us? wat would they do?

6. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    I'm one of the few on here (you other guys know who you are) thats been here since almost the beginning. Ive seen alot of crap come and go, I voted NO coz we honestly dont need one here. We've fixed our problems here in the past and by giving powers of a RSA here to someone would 1) could them great stress and 2) its BOUND to create enemies for them.

If this place was little nicer, if the people were a little nicer and we still had these problems then I'll say YES we need one but currently for me its stands at NO!

ADIOS!

7. Reactor

Jan 9, 2003
    Oh one with the beautiful icon, it's just a forum. It needs another moderator as much as Sadam needs another nuclear warhead.

Things may be rotten on this board, but... we're here for discussion first, are we not? In the greater scheme of things, rotten or not, we still have a good place to post. Let the shady people have their shadyness, and come back to the warm glow of stawars discussion, over here...

*heads towards the posts*

8. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    the issue is that our current mod [Shara] has personal problems with some of the people here... and yes she does so we aint making this up... if u want proof i guess u could ask Darth_Soup about it but from there it aint up to me.... or u can check my sig

and Reactor:
    your a newbie!! you dont know much about these boards so dont act like you've been here for years

9. Reactor

Jan 9, 2003
    Hey man... I have a full understanding of my newbie status. So, what would you like out of me? Would you like me to shut the heck up and let you have the soapbox, or what? Aren't I free to say a few things, or are only the old skool crew allowed to throw in their two cents around here? Just let me know, and I'll give you back your 15 minutes of fame.

I've been on forums all across the net, and I've seen the best and worst of them. I'm not bragging to you here. I asked what was going on, and no one said anything. People asked, "Does this board need a new mod?" and I took a look around and said "No." I apologise if that's overstepping my newbie status. I've learned one thing over the years, and that is how pointless it is to pander to the long time forum users, as if it's their turf. The forum I hang out on (apart from here) is American based, and I've been on there for 6 plus years, even though I'm the only aussie. Even so, I'm one of the chief elders. But who cares? New guys drop on by all the time, and we all have a great laugh. No one tells them to shut up and quit acting like they know everything.

If you have a problem with the fact I actually have something of worth to say, then you're either going to have to deal with it, or find a mod who'll ban my ass for no good reason.

I hope you understand.

10. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    <steps up to the plate>

Look guys just chill ok!

I've been here longer then both of you put together and it is a public board so please speak each other minds to one another without hurtful words, thanks guys!

(wow I said cool it, I never thought Id be the one to break up a argument :) )

<waits for Soniel to step up next> :)

11. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    hey reactor if u got a prob with me send me and email or somthing so we can deal with this off the boards.. i dont like you judging the others here when u dont even know them... i DO know them aight

12. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    When Shara was appointed as an admin, I seem to remember there being nominations or something like that. I certainly think that there needs to be more than one admin for the region. I just hope that everyone gets a say in it. If there's nominations or anything like that, then i'd like to see it announced in each state's forum since there are a lot of regulars in each state who never venture to the general forum. If there is more than one admin, then perhaps they can have an unnoficial agreement between them that one will pay more attention to some forums while the other will pay more attention to the others. I think Shara's done a good job, but I just think it's a bit much for one person.

13. Reactor

Jan 9, 2003
    Shadow... I don't know what it is you're referring to. When did I judge someone, exactly? Your last post makes no sence to me.

And guys, please, this is no arguement. Just stating my position- all is done.

14. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    PROBLEM RESOLVED OFFLINE

15. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Good work guys thats what we liked to see.

You've done well.

16. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    i sense negative vibes...

17. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    A general shout out to you all.

The conduct in this thread by certain members has been borderline flamming, and in obvious breach of the nettiquite we tend to try and enforce on these boards.

As a fellow FanForcer, I would ask you all that you try and learn the FACTS before we start a)Making veiled insinuations about your RSAs competence, b)making overt comments of a negative nature about these boards, erstwhile trying to infer some sort of "Anti-WA" conspiracy going on in the boards.

Shara does as good a job here as she does in any other Oceania Forum. She moderates her home fanforce of NSW just as well as she does WAFF or VicFF. If you disagree and wish to question her efficency, do so to HER via PM, instead of grandstanding in some naive soap box oration here in your local fanforce.

Here are the FACTS.

1)We have no reason nor obligation to post private details to YOU about the JC Moderators who live in Australia. It is there business if they wish to tell you or publish such details.

2)It is irrelevant where the JC Mods live, in relation to FanForce. Let me make it clear: JC does NOT equal FF jursidiction.

I am a JC Mod yes, but I have absolutely no right nor jurisdiction over FanForce. I could be taking action in this forum and others, but my hands are tied by both the decorum and rules regarding FanForce and the Jedi Council Boards.

It doesn't matter if NSW or Vic have say, 5 JC Mods living nearby. Those JC Mods WILL NOT and CANNOT police the FanForce forums. a) It's not their obligation, and b)even if they wished to, they aren't allowed to police non-JC forums.

Another FACT:

1) You have ONE RSA serving you, and the rest of Oceania. This is all you need for now. Shara has stated she is looking at possibly having a second RSA. This should satisfy those who think this place is not being policed enough.
    Whether that person comes from here or elsewhere is irrelevant. I can post in your forum just as easily here in Vic then over in WA.

2) Claiming you have a right to see an WAer policing your WAFF, is unfounded. Such a request is likely to be ignored, and if you want someone to be the next RSA, the worst thing you can do for them is to demand they get promoted, or make a campaign of it: the Administration will select a method of promotion and selection based on what they want: if they ask your opinion, fine, but if they don't, tough luck.

I reccomend all newcomers ensure they are COMPLETELY familar with the Terms of Service and if they have any problems with the interpretation thereof, PM your RSA, Shara_82.

As a fellow FanForcer, I would expect that you to hold your forum and your fellow forumers in a higher regard than we are seeing in this thread...as has been said, the negative vibes are everywhere.

18. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    geez people really dont understand the situation... can we atleast have a different mod for our boards?

19. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    S_o_E, we've already established that if a new mod comes in, it will be for all of Oceania, not just WA. And I would still be around doing the same thing.

And to be honest, I'd really like to know what personal problems you seem to think I have with the people here, considering I don't personally know any of them. So if you want to PM me and tell me what, exactly, I've been doing, I'd like to know, rather than hearing people complain without telling me why.

20. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    i would rather not pm you shara... cause knowing previous happenings you will prlly ban me for PMing you. i know its happened before

21. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    Unless your PM consists solely of profanity, S_o_E, I can tell you right now that I wouldn't. And I'd certainly like to know who, exactly, has been passing around things that are that blatantly a lie...

I can't for the life of me remember banning anyone for PMing me. I've banned a sock of an already banned user, yes, but never someone who PMed me for any other reason.

22. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    either way im not PMing you... and by not PMing i doubt i am violating a rule so i wont do it

23. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    That's fine, no one says you have to. But you can't expect results if all you plan on doing is complaining without letting me know any valid solutions, I'm afraid.

24. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    all we want is a local mod... and i dont personally see the difficulty...... but it seams obvious that we aint gonna get one so take my word, somthing is gonna happen about this

25. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    That's your choice as well, mate - I think you'll find the people you want to talk to are Rox, Hama-Ryu-Kinnebi and Obi Anne - they are Global Support and "heads" of Fanforce. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.