main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Should we have a WA Admin? (Moderator)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Master_Kaustin, Feb 1, 2003.

?

Should we have a WA Admin? (Moderator)

Poll closed Feb 6, 2003.
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    i dont have a problem with you, Shara

2. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    Thanks, monkey. :)

3. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    if local CRs are elected by the people they post alongside with, why aren't RSAs?

4. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I think RSA's are "elected by the people they post alongside with"... But it's generally announced on the Aus. Gen boards, and a lot of people don't go there...

I think someone mentioned earlier about getting votes that will, in a way, affect all of us being mentioned on all the boards in that country. Just a simple message saying that "We are having such and such a vote in the Aus. Gen. forum, check this link out..."

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    As said earlier in this thread, RSAs are chosen by the FanForce staff. We do so by scrutinizing the way the candidates post on the boards, make interviews with them and also listen to what other people say about them. It is not a public process though, so all I can say for the moment is that we are looking for another Oceania RSA, since gladly the Oceania region is getting big enough to warrant one.

Also if you have problems with Shara, why don't you bring them to the attention of the Global Support Administrators? We are here to act as mediators in cases like this.

If you are continuing this thread I strongly advice you to quit posting borderline flames in here.

A thread In the FanForce Communications also discusses the issue of why CRs don't have mod powers

6. Darth_Soup

Darth_Soup Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    I have never said I had a problem with Shara, just a problem with her attitude to certain things, and her judgement in a situation. I have never flamed anyone, I have stated my opinion, and I have facts to back up everything I say, I will not say something unfounded.

All of this has escalated out of control however one point keeps getting overlooked....... Why can't the "private" moderator boards be made public, so we can see what kind of stuff goes on in there?

DS

7. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    All of this has escalated out of control however one point keeps getting overlooked....... Why can't the "private" moderator boards be made public, so we can see what kind of stuff goes on in there?

The most important reason is because there are some things in there that not everyone should be able to see. Sensitive issues with users, for example - if one is being harassed over the boards, and the mods are discussing the punishment over it, the person being harassed may not wish it being brought to the public's attention.

Another one I can think of is user privacy. If we discuss a problem we have with a user, or an action someone might have taken, then that user'll get the appropriate penalty. But what if that's 24 hours? And when they come back, they behave? There'd still be some people (and no, I'm not saying you or anyone here would do it, but the fact remains some would), who would never allow the person that one transgression.

And then there's the times we want to create surprise banners/schemes/etc for the forums. It'd kinda take the element of surprise out of it if everyone could see what was happening.

Or when we're asking for help with our moderating tools, or discussing board security issues, or any number of things that could allow people to get around the security measures we have in place.

There are a lot of reasons, D_S - if we thought it viable for people to read everything in those private boards, we'd have opened them to public viewing long ago.

8. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Shara, there is not point to argue to any of this anymore. You have made it clearly obvious whatever we say is not going to be taken seriously as we are all backwater hicks from a far away place and can't be trusted with that kind of power. We will run around banning people for the sheer fun of it and try to take down your precious boards.

Yes, because everyone in Australia is geographically biased.

No matter which forum it is that brings up this question, be it WA, Victoria, NSW, Qld, SA, NT, Alaska in the US, Singapore, Scotland, Tuscon USA, Spain, whereever, the answer will be exactly what has occurred in here. You doubt that, have a read of this thread in FF Communications where it was asked directly of the FF staff.

I don't know about having a mod that can only moderate the state they are from, but there are an awful lot from Sydney. Maybe instead of having the majority of mods from Sydney, there should be a balanced amount or people from each state

First, the breakdown is this: 3 mods in Sydney, 1 in Victoria, 1 in Canberra.

Of these people, in only 1 case is it anywhere near relevant, as PoT is the mod for the RPF, DA is for the EUC and SW Misc, stinky is for our Ep3 NS, and I am for Lit and tech issues. We are expressly not allowed to get involved except in major cases where things have to be resolved immediately. Even though I am an administrator for this entire board system, Shara has every right to tell me what to do when it comes to these FF boards.

if you have all your mods in sydney, FF roleplaying, film forum, eu or natalies stalker forums ( ) attending meets andd whatever else, then you have a clique already of people who attend ff meets

I can not speak for PoT, but DA, stinrab and myself have little or no involvement at all in any current FF activities, and haven't for the last year or so.

Look, I can understand that people would like someone from their area to moderate their FF. Were it within our power, it would happen. I have suggested the ability to allow for single forum moderation to IGN, but since they run their forums on a wider basis, they do not have as much of a need for it, and so aren't hurrying to add this feature. There is nothing that can be done about it.

In regards to just having people promoted anyway, I refer you to the thread both Obi Anne and I linked to which contains the best outline of the problems with this that I have seen.

Again, I understand what you are wanting here, but this isn't a case of thumbing our collective noses at "backwater hicks" (which I personally take offense to after growing up in Outback and country towns with populations of no more than 10,000). We are saying exactly the same to people who live in some of the biggest cities of the world.

9. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    will we get punished for this riot?

10. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    Not by me. Don't you think that if I were going to ban someone just for having an opinion, I would have done so before now? ;)

11. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    aha a riot would kick arse..... aaah i give up with all this mod crap... we clearly aint gonna win what we want so im not gonna push this any futher... unless beer and underaged girls are involved

12. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I think part of the problem here is that we've got about a dozen people from this forum all asking for different things, with people trying to answer several complaints all at once. The majority of us don't have a problem with Shara or how she runs things. As I mentioned before, I found her to be a competent admin while I was a CR. For me personally, it's a question of whether one is enough for the forums we have. I guess my last post summed up my suggestions. My problem is mostly with the limitations of the software which Kadue indicated we can't do much about. I still stand by my assertion that things would run more smoothly if each forum had a moderator (as it used to be on the old forums), but the fact that moderators can't be limited to one forum is a major shortcoming in my opinion. It's certainly not the only shortcoming of the snowboards system that I've seen.
    I regularly participate on a club DJ forum where just about every forum has a moderator specifically assigned to that forum, so I've seen how well that can work. Most moderators are only responsible for one forum (I'm the only exception as I have two). I have full moderator access in my two forums but I can't moderate at all outside my forums. It's a great system and I think it's a shame that it can't be done here. The whole region can be done with one moderator for all the forums but that certainly doesn't mean it couldn't be better with one for each forum.
    I guess these points really belong in the communications forum, but since, we were touching on these topics here anyway, I figured I might as well say my bit. :)

13. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Hi, my name is Erica and I am an RSA for the Midwest of the US. I just wanted to remind everyone that CRs, although they cannot edit, delete, etc, have the RSA to go to for help. It's not just CRs, if any regular user sees something kooky going, on, send a PM to your RSA. If she's not online, and it's an emergency, all RSAs would be happy to help.

I know it's hard when you don't "know" the RSA sometimes. I think the CR surveys gave the RSAs a good evaluation on weaknesses and strengths. We are all trying to adjust our modding to make changes to better serve the CRs and the chapters. Sadly, sometimes we get hung up and spend so much time on the technical stuff or the bad parts, that we have less time for the fun parts (like really enjoying the SWness).

Don't be shy contacting your RSA or CR when things are going awry. We really do want to help.

14. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    For those who were wondering why hawk was so adamant about this and why he was so evasive about why he cared: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10477482&replies=6

well, there it is.

15. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    MisFitToy, I'll say what I said there in here: Hawk did not know he was in the running for the position when he posted in here. In fact he did not even realise a position is open. So while I can tell you're angry, please don't go spreading misinformation - that's generally frowned upon here.

16. Darth_Soup

Darth_Soup Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    ecky ecky patang!

That is my view on the subject....

17. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    misinformation... hmmm.. what misinformation??? i just dont know why hawk covered himself up the way he did

18. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    i just dont know why hawk covered himself up the way he did

Because he did not know, S_o_E - I only told him for sure on I believe it was Saturday night.

19. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    "I only told him for sure on i believe saturday night"

and when did you tell him for not so sure? ;)

20. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    We send out a questionairre to all RSA candidates and judge on both their answers and past behaviour - I'd say receiving that might have been a slight tip off. ;)

21. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    so you're saying he at least would have had a clue when he jumped in with both feet here?

22. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    No, not at all - it's not possible. He didn't receive the questionairre until AFTER he'd made his posts in this thread.

Sorry...I know you're trying to trip me up into admitting he knew, but...he didn't. The sequence of events went as I said: thread posted --> Hawk posted in thread --> I pushed (again) for a new RSA --> Questionairre was sent out --> Final decision made and agreed upon (Friday/Saturday) --> Hawk promoted (Sunday). Ask me what you will, it won't change the dates and times things happened.

23. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    or change whatever story you're sticking to. [face_plain]

not very mod like though, jumping into another states forum to stir trouble, wasn't this a poll for the people of this forum?

24. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    or change whatever story you're sticking to

I haven't changed this story once, MFT. As far as I can see, you've been twisting my words to fit whatever perception it is you have of me.

As to coming and posting in here...the Oceania forums have never had barriers on them saying 'if you're a member of this chapter, you can only post here'. It's common for people to post in other forums. If you don't want someone from another state to post in your thread, say so in the first post and I'm sure they'll respect that.

25. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    CRs don't have MOD powers...in fact we don't have any powers at all....so what's the point of being a CR I hear you ask.

Good question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.