main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Should we have a WA Admin? (Moderator)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Master_Kaustin, Feb 1, 2003.

?

Should we have a WA Admin? (Moderator)

Poll closed Feb 6, 2003.
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    Um...because CRs are supposed to be organisers. People who organise things off board (like meets) and on board (like graphics, headers, etc). They're not supposed to be in it for mod powers?

2. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    but it would save a lot of trouble wouldn't it? and i'm sure if you can trust someone enough to be the state rep, then you could trust them not to abuse their powers outside of their state?

3. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    But we are expected to notify the RSA or MODs if something goes wrong, or if there's a thread that needs looking at.

So basicly, we're the snitches of the FF.

4. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Technically, we're not meant to be in it for mod powers either, we're meant to be in it to help people and all. ;)

Shara's right though, CRs are the people who really get FanForce moving. People sometimes forget that FF isn't a message board, it's an organisation that meets in real life. FanForce.Net is simply a place where we can chat and organise things. Since FF CRs are the people who organise these meets, that actually makes them more vital to FF than us. We just make sure that it's all family friendly here.

5. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    If we had the ability to assign mods to forums, we would, everyone has said that. But giving people mod powers over all of FF and the JC just so they can restrict them to one person? Never happen.

If WE picked the CRs, then there might be a tiny chance, but we don't. They're publically elected, by you guys. If you guys trust them to organise your meets, then we're happy. But we have had instances where CRs have had to be demoted because of bad behavour...what if they'd had mod powers?

6. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    if cr's are elected by the forum users, why not mods then? to me it seems an extension of the same job.

7. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Back in the "Old days" each CR was a moderator, but when we moved to the new boards, the software couldn't handle the setup, so all the CRs were made into CRs and new MODs were appointed.

Yes....the "Old Days"...I've been around awhile.

8. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Mods have power on the boards only. In real life, we don't do jack. And if you're not here to meet people in real life, then I have to ask: why are you here?

9. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    if cr's are elected by the forum users, why not mods then? to me it seems an extension of the same job.

Because it's not an extension of the same job, they're two different things. Mods are chosen the way they are so we can make sure we're not going to get someone who'll run around abusing their mod powers for the fun of it. (Which, contrary to popular opinion, we don't do.)

If CR's are only doing that job so they can get moderator powers out of it, then I have to wonder how much they're caring for (and representing) their chapters. ?[face_plain]

10. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    Why am i here? i have met m,embers from here! i was at a meet a couple of weeks ago,

YOU get YOUR facts right m'boy ;)

and shara, might they care enough that they could have some mod powers to represent the people that elected them? to better serve their needs? it's already obvious to me you both don't like a few users in this state. [face_plain]

11. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    and shara, might they care enough that they could have some mod powers to represent the people that elected them? to better serve their needs? it's already obvious to me you both don't like a few users in this state.

Name them, MisFitToy. Because I can honestly say that there's no one on this board right now that I dislike. Not even you, I'm sorry to say - I have a lot of respect for people who'll stand up for what they believe in, method or not. ;)

12. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    When it's all said and done...the forums are a tool to assist people in the real world.

Powers here account for little in the real world.

The real measure of a person is in the respect they get from thier equals in the real world.

13. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    The real measure of a person is in the respect they get from thier equals in the real world.

Thank you, lv - I don't think anyone could have said it better. :)

14. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    It's been discussed with members of WA already, MFT. I, nor Shara, have any problem with this state, nor the people in it. That's the basics of the issue.

And yes, I know you went to a meet. And since all I can do is ensure that everyone stays within the Terms of Service, I'm not going to stop you from continuing to go to as many as you want. ;)

15. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    two rsa's? don't you two have a whole country to cover now? all this attention for little ol' me?

jackboots on already hey guys?

16. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Don't flatter yourself, multiple windows and no "one post per minute" errors are truly great things. ;)

17. Tarryn_Whiteheart

Tarryn_Whiteheart Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2003
    Nope, it's just normal for WA to receive the most attention; we're the most important, after all :)

18. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
  19. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I just want to say that it seems a few people are getting a tad carried away here. I'm glad MFT and SOE are keen to get involved in the WA forum and I'm glad you're keen to stick up for fellow locals but the fact is that (as far as I know) most people here don't have a problem with who the RSAs are and I don't think that this thread was ever started with the intentions of criticising current RSAs. Yes, there have been problems in the past between people from WA and other states. There have been just as many problems between people from this state and other people from this state but that was in the past, and very few people (even those who were on here then) know the full story. I don't claim to know the full story myself but I know a fair bit from different sides and I know that it's unwise to bring up past issues and make accusations based on second hand knowledge.
    I just hope that this "us vs them" mentality will blow over. I think I can safely say I've been posting in the WA forum as long or longer than anyone else and I really don't think there's any merit in claims of bias against WA. If it wasn't for the kind of people being criticised, we wouldn't have got a WA forum in the first place, when it was being decided what forums would be set up for Australia. I can't remember exactly what DS said earlier think he said it well before when he made a clear distinction between having a problem with a person on a personal basis and having a problem with their position. I guess I'm just concerned about past issues being dragged up and hinted at by people who don't know the full story or only have second hand information. Let it rest guys. It was bad enough back then. As far as I'm concerned, my questions are answered. We can't have moderators for each state like we used to and I'm satisfied with the reasons given. As for the appointment of Hawk, I really don't think there's any great conspiracy here after reading back through posts in the thread. It's not as if he came in here all guns blazing and I certainly don't think he was really being critical of anyone. Whether you agree with his posts or not, I think the fact that he was able to post replies to critical posts probably did show some good qualities for an admin position. Let's give him a chance shall we?

20. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    Finally someone said something!

Phew! :)

21. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    Plenty was said before, it's just the jackboot cavalry won't be called in over soneil's post.

22. Tarryn_Whiteheart

Jan 29, 2003
    Jackboot Cavalry?

MisFitToy, I don't know you, although our paths may well cross on some of the projects that are happening, so please don't take this as a criticism of you as a person, but you seem to be reading way more into the posts than I have seen.
    These forums are for the fans and amateur fanfilmers, and have been freely provided by the folks at Fanfilms for everyone's use. The issue or Moderator has been pretty categorically settled, with HawkNC being given the post, and even if he hadn't, I think there has been enough discussion on the matter to come to the conclusion that the WA board is not going to get it's own Mod.
    We all have a choice of whether we come to these boards or not...there is nothing to stop us setting up our own Board if we are unhappy with the way things are going here, but above all else, if it is not fun being here, we don't have to be.
    Personally, I hope to make friends with as many folks here as I can, as it is the community that are going to make our fanfilms successful or not.
    There is no value to be gained in vilifying the Moderators we have, especially when all it will do is cause dissent, and not actually achieve anything, especially as I can't see why they are bad guys from the posts that have been made ( Maybe I'm thick ;) ); our expressive talents would better be used making Fanfilms :).

23. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Just a quick clarification, FanForce isn't just for fan films, it's for anything SW fans want to do offline. :)

'What is FanForce?' - FF.N

24. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    woohoo i am no longer on ban!!!! time to start more trouble

25. Tarryn_Whiteheart

Jan 29, 2003
    What about them Eagles, eh? Would you believe this weather we're having......

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.