Should we have an age limit for membership?

Discussion in 'Lincoln, NE' started by Arwen_Evenstar, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Master

star 4
    Liz and I were discussing this in the Bug Eaters Cantina, but I think it deserves it's own thread. The earlier part of the discussion can be read here.

I would also like to point out Bobafemme's thread concerning this issue here.

In case you don't want to read the earlier part of the discussion: I don't think we should.

Ready. Set. Discuss!
  2. Jedi_Liz Chosen One

star 6
    as I was trying to point out, there are some things that an age restriction might be required. I'd like to have more members be able to register to post. And, at least attend one meeting. (There is an age restriction for joining theforce.net boards, but how would a 10 year old be able to join? I would not lie.)

I wouldn't want a whole *bunch* of kids is what I want to get at......I'd like to have it open to everyone......but I don't want the group to have like 30+ 8 year olds and then us, the founding members. I'd like a variety, but members have to be able to discuss things. A six year old would not be able to understand things, is what I am trying to get at. Especially if we do things like read the books or something.

I agree that there shoudln't be an age limit, *per se*, but we should consider it in the long run.....

3. Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Master

star 4
    You say you'd like to have more members be able to register to post. I agree that the boards are central to FF, but we are first and foremost a community of SW fans[i/]. Younger members could certainly attend meetings with a parent or older sibling or friend (with their parents permission, of course).

You also say you don't want a bunch of kids. The impression I get is that you don't think kids would be able to contribute a lot to discussions, etc. Younger members might not understand deeply technical things like how exactly a hyperdrive motivator works (do any of us?) but SW fans of all ages have unique perspectives on different aspects of the SW universe, and all would have something to contribute to our group.

Sorry for such a long post! :)
  4. Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus

star 5
    As in my post in the linked thread above, there cannot be any exculding members. However, it is completely okay to require people under 13 have parental supervision at the meetings (same goes for posting on the boards). You may wish to have a waiver for under-15 year olds to participate as well.

I understand that no one wants parents dropping off their 10 year old to be 'babysat' by LFF. You shouldn't be expected to do so, and it's bad parenting. I think the best solution is require parents in attendence with members 13 and younger.
  5. Obi-Wan's Apparition Force Ghost

star 5
    I pretty much agree with Bobafemme on this subject. While we don't want to babysit per se... um, we should require a waiver and be in contact with the parents if they are younger than thirteen. But I don't know how many people we would get that would be younger than ten. I guess it is a no-no to deny members, so at the next meeting we should decide on how to handle this situation. *Writes subject down on virtual agenda* :D
  6. Rogue_Angel Jedi Knight

star 1
    i think it is a very good idea to have an age limit. while it sucks being young and u don't want to exclude anyone u can't have a romper room at the meeting.
  7. Obi-Wan's Apparition Force Ghost

star 5
    ...but we can't. Bobafemme already said that we can't deny anyone based on race, sex, age, religion, etc. We will just need to work around this. ;)
  8. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    um, we should require a waiver and be in contact with the parents if they are younger than thirteen.

Don't bother with waivers, because they will just scare people off, and it's better if people just bring their parents with them.

But I don't know how many people we would get that would be younger than ten.

I agree, and it's not really been a problem here in Chicago. We mostly get kids when members bring their own offspring to family friendly events such as picnics, BBQs or trips to the zoo. Most of our members tend to be in the 20-35 range, have jobs, families, etc, and any 16 year olds that show up usually don't come back too often. While I don't like excluding people, it's just a fact that younger folks are not that comfortable hanging out with all the old foggies.

But a standing policy of requiring kids under 13 to be accompanied by an adult is a good thing.
  9. Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with DarthJurist that waivers would scare people off.
  10. Rogue_Angel Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ok so let me see if i understand this

u want an age limit of some sort so u don't have like a daycare going on but u don't want to have to have people sign waviors?

would u like the whole world on the silver plater too your just your group?
  11. Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Master

star 4
    Do you mean me? I don't want an age limit of any sorts.
  12. Rogue_Angel Jedi Knight

star 1
    ok well some one is thinking of an age limit or u all are really that board and have nothing better to do then have conversations about things that nobody cares about. And if that is the case then the Lincoln boards truely suck
  13. Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Master

star 4
    Liz thought we should have an age limit. We were discussing it in the Cantina, but we decided it would be better to have a different thread to discuss it in.

I'm sorry you have such a low opinion of our board [face_plain]
  14. Rogue_Angel Jedi Knight

star 1
    hey no need to be sorry i'm not upset. my standards were just to high. you know comparing u guys to the rest of the boards around. but if u are going to say your sorry to me u will need to say it to alot of people cause there are somw sw fans that live in lincoln and refuse to talk on your boards cause they suck so bad. so if u are going to start saying you are sorry u better be prepared to say it alot. who knows that maybe all u say now
  15. Jedi_Liz Chosen One

star 6
    I have another point in favor of an age limit of 13 - besides the registration factor - they should have reliable transportation - and its just that we do discuss meetings and stuff on the boards. If a younger member wanted to put some input in, how would they do it?

One of the fanforce city reps, the one for Waco, replied to my inquiry in the city reps forum. She said a younger member was causing problems on the boards. How are we to be sure they will be able to understand the rules?

I don't want to end up babysitting any kids.

And, how are they going to find out about our group unless they are able to register.

If an older member, like say age 14 or 15, has younger siblings interested, okay, then that would work. The older brother or sister could be in charge.

Another thing - what if we want to have an outing with the Omaha group? How many parents would be willing to let their children ride with semi-strangers up to Omaha to go to the Zoo or something?

So, an age limit is out, but there should be something like an age limit - they have to be able to register if they want to participate. If they don't,that's fine, but then they can't add their own input.

And, reliable transporation, too.

I think I need a break from Lincoln fanforce. I'm not going to post here for awhile.

I had a nightmare about this just last night into this morning.
  16. Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Master

star 4
    I know this is off-topic, but Rogue_Angel, would you mind being a bit more specific? What exactly is so bad about our boards? Now I'm curious...

Liz, I see that you have some valid points, like registration and transportation, but I don't think an age limit is the answer.

Enjoy your break :)
  17. Obi-Wan's Apparition Force Ghost

star 5
    Ok. Some people here are acting like a herd of three-year-olds are going to come flying through the door at one of our meetings. Be realistic, ok? That is not going to happen. Ok? Secondly, no matter how much anyone says that we should have an age limit, we cannot. Is that clear to everyone?! I think some people here are getting a little too worked up over this... We can just discuss it at our next meeting. And can we please keep any personal attacks out of this??

A very, very angry John :mad:
  18. Obi-Wan's Apparition Force Ghost

star 5
    Sorry if I angered anyone, it is just that this is a very silly, silly thing to get so angered about.

And Liz: We hope you are back soon!
  19. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    Hey. I just figured I'd add in my 2 cents as a former City Rep and all... hope y'all don't mind :)

we are first and foremost a community of SW fans. Younger members could certainly attend meetings with a parent or older sibling or friend (with their parents permission, of course).
    -- Exactly, that is what a FanForce is. Unfortunately, certain people can be immature. It's really hard to entertain a FanForce meeting with an 11 year old child running around. The City Rep can also legally be held responsible for anything that happens to a child, unless of course, a waiver form is filled out by the parents. I still think it's a bad idea that members under the age of 16 attend a meeting without parental permission, since there can be a lot of controversy from parents, especially about meeting people from the internet. I honestly agree about the 13 and under having a parent/guardian/relative attending a meeting with them. First off, there is the maturity issue of some children and then there is a legal responsibility that can be placed on a City Rep or a group if there is no waiver. In my opinion, the entire age issue should be solved because of a legal standpoint. As a City Rep, I would not want someone to get hurt and then be sued by that person's parents.

Well, that's my 2 cents. :)
  20. Jedi_Liz Chosen One

star 6
    One more tiny arguement for 13 being the age to join (younger members *would* be welcome, but they would have to have *parental* permission. The *sibling*, *parent* or *adult* that comes with them would have to be in charge of them.)

*Most* of our activity takes place on the boards. We plan for meetings here. If younger members wanted to input on an idea for a meeeting, those under 13 would not be able to. And, I'll say it again: I will not lie to let a ten year old join. Maybe if they had an older sibling that was a member of the boards, they could participate that way.

And, we haven't even *promoted* the fanforce at all, so who knows what age the members would be?

They could be 14+ or they could be 16+, we don't even KNOW yet!

(And, we have never discussed how a hyperdrive motivator works. That sounds silly to me.........)

I still don't understand what Rogue Angel meant about our boards. I believe that we need to be more attractive to potential members - so lets actually start a *real* discussion related to Star Wars somewhere here in the Lincoln boards.

Maybe she thinks that those people she knows would be turned off by the B.O. in the cantina. (Rememeber to take showers you guys and gals!)

Also, if it comes down to a mutual event with Omaha, some younger members would probably not be able to attend (not age wise, but parental concern wise.)

(Ashley - if I attend the next meeting (which depending on what day it is, I may not be able to) I'll bring my extra copy of Vector Prime along to let you start reading.)
  21. Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Master

star 4
    You want a real SW discussion? Here's one.

Maybe she thinks that those people she knows would be turned off by the B.O. in the cantina. (Rememeber to take showers you guys and gals!) Excuse me :confused:
  22. Jedi_Liz Chosen One

star 6
    the B.O. thing was a joke......okay?

I tried sending her a PM, but she has only read it. She didn't answer it.
  23. Obi-Wan's Apparition Force Ghost

star 5
    [face_laugh] Liz, Liz, Liz... :)

As for Rogue_Angel... that has been bugging me a lot too. ?[face_plain]
  24. Rogue_Angel Jedi Knight

star 1
    aww much to learn you still have

the darkside clouds everything
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.