main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should we just stop referring to it as the EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sith_rising, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    How about for them not to jettison everything out of the nearest airlock at the first convenient opportunity and to act as if what they are doing now is so groundbreaking? I feel like they have been lying to me since I read the back cover of Heir to the Empire.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    so tempted to post KJA's foreword to Dark Empire [face_mischief]

3. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I wasn't aware of Dark Empire for a long time, and even then I wouldn't let one man dictate to me how I should treat "his" universe unless he created it all by himself.

4. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Well that piles terribleness on top of terribleness. :p

Riv_Shiel and blackmyron like this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    What? That's ridiculous. How do you even say that... thing?

Know what, I'll just subvert it by calling it "The Universe formerly known as Canon". That'll teach ya.

Starkeiller, Riv_Shiel, Grey1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Remember that time back in june 1998 when you had the first novel of that other author that took over the X-Wing series, and you laughed so hard at the Ewok jokes? What about the summer of 2007 when you decided to get KOTOR in monthly issues instead of trade paper backs because it was just that good, and you had to visit a comic book shop you'd never heard of before that was four cities away to get #13 (and found a Nightmare Before Chrstmas pen there as a surprise birthday gift for one of your best friends back then)? Remember 1993 when you first read HTTE and liked it so much that you took it with you on that class trip where you were surprised by rain, resulting in extensive water damage to your copy, and then you got a new copy five years later when you read it again, but when beccatoria asked you to read it once more you went back to the then 18 years old water damaged copy that you still keep? What about all of that was wasted?

[actual memories may vary]

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This is why I don't like you. [face_not_talking]

8. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    I just had an idea. Let's call it the "Legends Alternative World Niche".

LAWN.

Essentially, the old people's EU.

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Makes sense.

Ezra does look the sorta hippy you'd want to keep off your LAWN.

10. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    As soon as Boyega starts wearing a hood again I'm getting my own gorilla wolf motherbleeper.

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Let me put it this way, I have invested all of this time in these stories that are now functionally irrelevant to the story going forward. Now I am in between a rock and a hard place where I want to care about what they are doing going forward, but I can't bring myself to do that, because I believe I would be abandoning so much of what makes Star Wars the universe I love. This is what leads me to almost feel like my investment in the EU was a waste of time, though deep down I don't really feel that way.

Abadacus likes this.
  12. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    I am at a point in my life right now when I start to realize that a lot of life can be described like that. Doesn't change the good times you've had.

There's that one time when three authors collaborated on rewriting and killing my favourite character and the entire setting with him in a string of really boring novels. After I stopped buying the books, I read somewhere that they actually killed him off before he could be part of a meaningful story.

Revanfan1, DigitalMessiah and Vthuil like this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    My lawn, GET OFF!

[​IMG]

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It really is impossible to overstate how much LOTF and its kin did to make people accept the old EU's demise, isn't it?

Riv_Shiel, Grey1, Jedi Ben and 4 others like this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    those monsters

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    It has the exact opposite reaction for me, because I can't believe that the EU could end on the heels of so much osik.

17. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

Just view it like you would one of those tv shows that has gone on too long and has no real story to tell anymore. Having the universe go hundreds of years into the future without any movie media (in which the universe was created for) giving it direction was a little much.

In the end the expanded universe started trying to do what it never should have tried to do in the first place. Instead of just expanding upon the movies and give the movies more depth it tried to start making road maps for the star wars universe itself. That could only last so long before it would just blow up in their face.

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    the problem was the people in charge of the road map

Havac and Riv_Shiel like this.
  19. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

Possibly but expanded universes will always be at their best when they are expanding upon stories that have already come before (or at least giving backstories to what has already come before). Not when they are trying to take on the role of the main media.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They began the transition from the OT cast to the Next Generation in the NJO and that awesome. They then reversed that with DNT/LOTF/FOTJ and thus suffered. They should have continued on and showed how the Next Generation took over and saved the galaxy on their own.

Books, comics, movies are equal imo.

Riv_Shiel, Revanfan1 and Abadacus like this.
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    If by "blow up in their face" you mean "make a literal road map by publishing an awesome atlas for the Star Wars universe" you're absolutely correct.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    nah the EU should have known its place and just stopped publishing material after 2005

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Post NJO era stuff maybe but could have gone back in time. Thousands of years after all.

24. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Change that to material set after ROTJ, and I just might agree with you...

Before, during, and between the movies, they were great because they were somewhat limited in what they could do. After ROTJ they had all the freedom needed to screw it up. Post-ROTJ had its ups and downs, but by the time we got LOTF it was completely irredeemable.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.