main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Should we know who wins the lottery?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Aug 8, 2013.

?

Do we need to know about these schmucks?

1. Yay

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Nay

20 vote(s)
    90.9%
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I say no because it's really none of our business and it sets these people up to get robbed.

R2-DK likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    On the other hand, often it's their choice whether or not to come forward so *shrugs* I don't really care either way, if they want to come forward fine, if they don't, then leave them be.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Are you asking if they should remain anonymous if they want to? If so, I say yes. The lottery commissions want advertising, but they seem to have little trouble attracting people in states where winners are protected. If you're asking if there should be some sort of "ban" on news related to the lottery, I say I don't give a ****.

JoinTheSchwarz and Juliet316 like this.
  5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Yeah, it's about a ban on lottery news stories.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Have you considered just ignoring them?

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I do, for the most part... I wanted other folks opinions. :p

8. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    News is reported. You don't have to consume it.

9. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    I don't see any good coming out of everyone knowing who just became a multi-millionaire, no

R2-DK and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  10. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    I don't believe that it's necessary to identify lottery winners; however I insist that after they have been swindled/cheated/robbed out of
    their winnings by their drunken, unemployable relatives and friends, they should be exposed and humiliated for their blundering altruism
    on programs such as AMERICAN GREED.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes. I want to know who to hate. And take advantage of. :p

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  12. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    The lottery is a business like any other. Winners' names are made public in order to keep the lottery on the up-and-up.

Let's say lottery winners did in fact remain anonymous....what would stop the lottery officials from lying in order to pocket money from a non-winning drawing?

If a car dealership were to put a brand new Toyota up for raffle, sell a few thousand tickets for it, then, after all is said and done, claim "Yes, as a matter of fact there was a winner, but they wish to remain anonymous", they'd be hauled into court for operating a scam. The lottery is no different.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Actually in some states, it is the law that the winners names are kept quite unless they themselves choose to come public with the fact they won. I believe one of the states involved in the last mega Powerball jackpot prior to this has one such law.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No, it's not. Lotteries in the U.S. are run by states. In California, for example, 87% of the revenue (13% being allocated for administration) is supposed to go back to the public in the form of prizes and funding for things such as education.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    UK Lottery gives you a choice if you want publicity or not. If I won (fat chance) I'd probably say No.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm pretty sure that in North Carolina, there is no option to remain anonymous if you hit the jackpot.