main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should we petition for more Prequel Era content from Disney?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jesta', Jan 30, 2017.

1. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    Lets face it, Disney is trying to make the masses forget the Prequels. Including next to none Prequel references in "The Force Awakens", leaving out the Clone Wars era in Star Wars: Battlefront EA, canceling The Clone Wars the first thing they bought Lucasfilm, showering the Original Trilogy era with 11 new comic titles, 12 books, a whole TV series, and a spin-off movie. While The prequels have only got 3 new comics, and one book. Not to forget the canon reset erases most of the content from the era, except The Clone Wars and the movies themselves, leaving the era feeling empty. The multitude of information is right in front of us. Do you think, we as Star Wars fans, have the right to enjoy content from the era we most hold dear? I personally do, but would it be the right thing to write a petition to Disney telling them we want more prequel content? And if that does happen we need a large enough group to sign in at once. So what do you guys think, should we form a petition for more Prequel content?

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    ...there's no conspiracy against the PT-era. If they were truly trying to make people forget about that era, they wouldn't incorporate characters like Rex or Ahsoka in Rebels, or feature an entire episode about battle droids, or a two-parter about a conspiracy on Geonosis, or feature various concepts or designs that originated in that show. They wouldn't be publishing any PT-era content, let alone a novel that provided TCW fans a conclusion to Asajj Ventress' character arc, or a comic about Obi-Wan and Anakin, or about Darth Maul, or have the current storyline in the flagship OT-era Star Wars comic be about Yoda in the PT-era, to say nothing of the Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan fill-in issues. No, PT content was not present in Battlefront, but neither was TFA content, and I don't think they have some sort of conspiracy against that film. The canon reset removed everything, and three years ago when the rest happened, the OT felt far emptier than the PT era. The Clone Wars alone contributes well over sixty hours of viewable PT content, which is addition to the ~12 hours you get from the films themselves, and I highly doubt Rebels (which despite its timeline feels more like a PT/OT hybrid show in terms of tone, content, and designs) will ever reach a count nearly as high as TCW's 121 episodes+a movie run. You also have Bail Organa, seen only in AotC and RotS, appearing in Rogue One, played by Jimmy Smits, and Genevieve O'Reilly reprising her role as Mon Mothma from RotS. Also the return of Mustafar.

Long story short, if they're trying to make people forget about the PT era, they're not doing a great job of it. They're just predominately focusing their attentions elsewhere for right now. It's only been three years. That's a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things. They can't provide all things for all manner of fans at all times.

3. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    On that I agree with you, my wording was wrong they aren't trying to make people FORGET about them lol. But you can't deny they're distancing themselves from the prequel era, as in not directly showing the events that happened in that era, only referencing them.
    That's the concerning part. Unless we start growing an underground cult-ish group that pumps out our own content like the OT fans did, that's no prequel content until 2019, when the sequels have rapped up. And even if that does happen, its still 3 years no prequel content.

Red23 and Darth Basin like this.
  4. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I would agree they are distancing themselves from the less popular trilogy, but we'll see. I don't know if a petition would even sway them at all though.

CoolyFett and Darth Basin like this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    we just got a prequel and han solo is another.

6. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    Rogue One takes place 6~12 hours before "A New Hope", and I don't think the Han Solo movie will be set before ROTS.

7. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    doesn't matter. they're still technically prequels.

8. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    But not prequel "era".

CoolyFett, Darth Basin and Darkslayer like this.
  9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Given Disney has no say on the content of products made by its subsidiaries, LFL included, no

10. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    You've got an answer here:

Kathleen Kennedy has said in the NY Daily News, during the Rogue One release, that they have never forgotten the legacy of the prequels and will certainly use many story elements from Episodes I, II and III for future films since they are important pieces to the mythology: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...kennedy-talks-origins-rogue-article-1.2908049

11. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    Ha! No doubt! But that's not what I'm saying. "Prequel Era", not "Prequel".

12. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    well we did have a lot. 3 films and the entire tcw series.

Darth Basin likes this.
  13. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    References yes, besides TFA most canon material mentions at least something from the prequels. But I'm not concerned about that. I'm talking about stories taking place Smack-Dab right in the middle of the PT.

14. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    And now under Disney the OT has 3~4 movies and Rebels.

CoolyFett, Darth Basin and Darkslayer like this.
  15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    We had fifteen years of prequel stories from 1999-2014. I'm ok with taking a break from that era for a while.

The era that is most fertile and will likely have the most exploration is in between ROTJ and TFA.

16. Victoria Skywalker

Victoria Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2017
    I'd say it's a bit full, but that's just my opinion.

Dandelo likes this.
  17. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Interesting point.

18. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Sorry Seagoat that is not true. Just because they haven't done it yet, doesn't mean they don't have the right too.

If Bob Iger wanted LFL to make a Star Wars movie with Teletubbies as the main characters, you better believe it would get made. No one in LFL is in the position to say no to corporate Disney that is paying the bills.

That is why LFL has to bring the movies before the almighty Disney Execs for approval before release. Abrams talks about how scared ****less he was of that moment realizing that they held the final say in what happens to the movie he made.

https://soundcloud.com/howardstern/jjabrams_disney?in=howardstern/sets/sternshow_11-30-2015

He talks about them taking notes... Why would they take notes? If not to make suggestions on what they like and didn't like (inferring they would want something changed).

Just as Abrams says in the clip. Disney paid 4 billion for the movie, they get to see (and do) whatever they want with it.

Than we see what happened with Rogue One where after a screening for Disney, there are huge changes made in the movie at Disney's say so.

There are further details like the cancellation of The Clone Wars TV series and the cancellation of the highly anticipated video game Star Wars 1313, and the cancellation of the pretty much finished Star Wars Detours.

All of those were full steam ahead under the supervision of the Lucas/Kennedy LFL, but then just a few months later under the Disney LFL, all those are cancelled? What changed?

In fact the reason LFL gave for cancelling Detours made no sense. Detours was announced at Celebration VI, which took place in August 2012, and the sale to Disney took place in October 2012. When it was decided that Detours was done, it was March 2013 and the statement read:

This statement is not true because we now know that LFL, under Lucas, was moving forward with the "new Star Wars Trilogy" well before the sale to Disney.

So...Can it be reasonable that after the sale, Disney and it's marketing/focus groups stepped in and worked with LFL to change the direction of it's content?

Let's not forget that Kennedy came onto LFL in June 2012, so she was helping Lucas run LFL for those 4 to 5 months prior to the Disney sale. While shows like Detours, TCW were still full steam ahead and 1313 was still planned.

So I think it's really not true to say that Disney has no say in the content. They have a say if they want to. Just because they don't doesn't mean they can't or won't in the future or haven't behind the scenes...

Edit: Also, lets not forget the infamous quote from JJ Abrams himself where he said that Disney and Kennedy decided to get rid of the Lucas treatments...

19. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't deny there's influence. Of course there's influence. But in terms of final say (officially speaking, anyways) it remains LFL's choice just as the content of Marvel movies goes to Marvel

As for cancellation/postponement of products like Detours or 1313, not sure if we'll ever know exactly how much of it has to do with the acquisition as opposed to simply devoting efforts to new films

Either way, I think the "anti-PT crusade" sentiment is far from true

DrDre and Jesta' like this.
  20. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    For the most part, I'd agree. But most of the stories told during those 15 years no longer exist in the new canon. Also I've read Shattered Empire and Aftermath, and they've given me very little faith in post Rotj and pre TFA content in the new canon. So I have little interest in post ROTJ stories. It be interesting to hear about what other think about post Jedi stories.

21. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    no

1) I have never signed a petition in my life and not going to over a work of fiction

2) If by some strange loss of sanity I would sign a SW petition it would be for old republic era stuff, Jedi Vs Sith wars, A Darth Bane movie etc. We have 3 whole movies on the PT plus six seasons of clone wars. I would like to see new characters please.

22. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    Unless we're talking about OT elitists... But on a serious note, it's less about anti-PT, and more about lack of PT. Apart from Dark Disciple, Obi Wan and Anakin(sand man), and the first few issues of Kanan the last Padwan. I really can't think of any PT content.

23. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    If by some means we do get a petition filled out and Disney follows through. I would really hope we get new characters. It's just I'd want it set during the PT.

24. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Again, it isn't really the Disney company's thing. You'd be better off petitioning Kathleen Kennedy than you would Bob Iger

Not that these 500 signature petitions get anything done, really

Kenobi1138 and Dandelo like this.
  25. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Obviously the ST will be their main focus and for good reason but I do wish for more PT Era content. Hell, I notice more OT centric content than even ST. I would like another comic series like Anakin and Obi-Wan and maybe even some more Clone Wars Era (the actual Era or TV show) stuff too.