main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should we petition for more Prequel Era content from Disney?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jesta', Jan 30, 2017.

1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  2. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    While I don't think Disney is totally ignoring the PT, they are definitely favoring the new movies and the OT more.

For example, my infant son has several star wars books for kids. All feature episodes 1-6 or 1-7 depending how recent they were.

However the content is not equally distributed in any of them. For instance one book he as is 5 minute star wars stories that tell short stories about different scenes in the saga. Episodes 1-3 get one story each while episodes 4-7 get two stories each.

Probably the most skewed category by far is star wars clothing. That is totally dominated by OT, TFA, and RO. Very hard to find PT related clothing.

3. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    Whoa. The truth? This thread can't handle that, talk about how that book even has PT content. We should be glad it even has PT stuff...

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, personally I need more than some tie-in material in order to buy that Disney is interested in viewing the PT with the same respect they've shown the OT thus far. Comics are one thing, but I'll never be fully convinced until we see a new movie marketed via "we wanted to capture the spirit of I-III."

Jesta' likes this.
  5. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    Well that's your loss, the fact that Disney gives the PT ANY amount of affection, is PROOF that they view it with the same respect as the OT.

The facts are right in front of you.

6. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    The reason they favor the OT era more than the PT era in terms of films is quite easy. Answer this: which would make more money? A film set during the OT, an era anyone who knows anything about Star Wars is familiar with, and is very much beloved, or a PT film, set in an era which doesn't have as much iconography and is related to a film trilogy that had a mostly mixed reception?

7. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Yes and no.

What is the spirit of I to III? I imagine it's more on the edge of the old republic? Which we will probably see something of at some point but it's not quite the dark times of the empire era when the Jedi were just about wiped out and the bad guys rule.

8. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002

Not my "loss," as I've been following the movies that Disney has made thus far. One can watch and even appreciate the current material while also thinking that some older material has not been "properly" respected.

And, yes, it's easy to understand why Disney has done what they have done thus far. Doesn't mean all individual fans have to agree with Disney's creative priorities.

Darkslayer and heels1785 like this.
  9. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I think its one of those things where fans can be so over dramatic about change that you either play it close to something people are nostalgic too or attempt change that fans will just complain about.

The force Awakens definately fell into that cautiously stepping into new territories while doing things they know for sure fans will accept.

10. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    Sarcasm, it's a mythical word.
    I was acting like basically 90% of the people on this thread.

I don't accept it, so I guess I'm not a fan.

My father saw Empire three times on opening day back in 1980, and he doesn't accept it, so I guess he's not a fan either.

What you said feels eerily similar to Jedi Temple Archives whole "Hardcore Collector" debacle. \

BTW I voted for Fives, but Cade had the votes to win!

11. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Oops, sorry for that. I've seen so many recent attempts to "correct" us fans who aren't entirely satisfied with Disney's handling of Star Wars that I automatically read your post as serious. :p

Jesta' likes this.
  12. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017

Now that you mention it, the people on OriginalTrilogy(dot)com aren't any better. Now I highly suggest people to see the type of "corrections" they give. It looks a bit like this thread, just with mean responses and cursing.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Rebels seems to have plenty of PT references in it and Disney are only really 18 months in to their movies. But it seems to me that Disney are making a conscious decision to make films with an OT feel, and reading between the lines that alone tells you a lot about their feelings on at least how the PT looks overall and is perceived. But TBH I don't really care which era they focus on as long as they are good movies.

14. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't know whether its Disney feelings towards the prequels or Disneys awareness of the reception towards the prequels which has only in recent years seemed to evened out into more favour

Because Clone Wars was very popular you can see alot of connections to in rebels, infact the more popular elements of that show are the connections to Clone Wars i noticed.

15. Red23

Red23 Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2015
    The overwhelming majority of which were swept under the rug by Disney back in 2014.

16. Red23

Red23 Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2015
    Bob Iger doesn't listen to fan petitions either. (See: Guardians of the Galaxy:Mission Breakout)

17. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    We probably could complain if it was just prequel stuff swept under the rug but alot of the original trilogy material is gone also.

Its a tricky situation because unless they make some things canon again its tough to know how they can bring alot of that stuff back.

18. Red23

Red23 Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2015
    Yes but most of the OT stuff is being re-filled at a very fast rate.

19. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I think LFL are the ones doing the bulk of the decision-making. Even before GL sold the company, the emphasis on old school stuff was pretty heavy on the merchandise side of things.
    At least that's how I remember it.

When it comes to stories, though, I agree that their focus on the Empire era seems a bit excessive.
    I'm still miffed about what they did to TCW (and that was definitely Disney's doing). It was so unnecessary! The show was a hit and they were in the middle of several story arcs that were getting extremely interesting.
    At the very least, they could have allowed Filoni and his team to bring those arcs to a satisfying close before pulling the plug.
    DF has taken measures to reduce the damage with Rebels and for that, I am grateful, but man...

You know, Hayden, Ewan, SLJ and Ray Park would all love to return to Star Wars. Frank Oz and Liam Neeson are always happy to do some voice work. Heck, I bet even Natalie would come back if offered a chance to expand on her character!
    They can totally make a Clone Wars movie and now is the time to do it!

...so what are they waiting for?

20. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    They won't make a clone wars movie, There is enough clone wars material really with the animated Clone Wars movie and 6 seasons of Clone Wars (121 episodes) which is already more than what rebels is getting.

I doubt its anything against the prequels since i also doubt they would make a movie set in between episodes 4 to 5 or 5 and 6 either

I don't think Disney canceled the clone wars because they have a distaste for the prequels, i think it was just business stuff with cartoon network since Disney did the same thing when they bought marvel and canceled nicks spider-man cartoon that displeased alot of people.

21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Three feature films, one animated film, and 121 episodes of The Clone Wars are canon. The prequels are an essential part of the narrative, but it's also an era that has been thoroughly explored.

22. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I still think adventures between Episode I and II need more exploration. That Obi-Wan and Anakin comic was a good start but even the old EU didn't give us a whole lot.

The old EU explored Darth Vader's exploits a lot and Marvel is still giving him his own comic series like Dark Horse did. I'd say Prequel characters can still have more exploration.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    I've changed alot since I made this thread. For one, I don't really want any Prequel content from Disney anymore. Yeah I still love the era more the Originals, but the original EU has now captured my attention, and usually anything under the new canon isn't really worth my time anymore.

Honestly the only thing I want from Disney now, is finishing Clone Wars's original intended run, and more Legends. I hope everyone understands!

24. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017

I also wonder what the spirit of the PT is, in the sense of something that one might want a film to recapture.

It's one thing to recapture the feeling of the Old Republic and a fully-stocked Jedi Order. I don't doubt that Star Wars films will have more of that 'golden age' or large-scale feel about them in the future.

The specific elements from the PT are another thing. I think that part of the big push for an Obi-Wan Kenobi film is that fans know that Ewan McGregor is their best shot to see someone major from the PT back onscreen. But such a film would likely be a bridge between trilogies if not more OT-skewing in lots of ways, actor notwithstanding. As far as ships and planets, those things might well appear but as relics or in a new context.

And to be frank, I think that a lot of the best qualities of the prequels are likeliest to reappear if Lucasfilm believes that such things can be brought into new films and stories without reminding people of the PT. Or to put it in a different way, I have a hard time imagining a new Star Wars movie being advertised as, "...in the spirit of the prequels" or something to that effect.

25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I don't mind getting "only" 121 episodes of TCW. What I mind is having three or four significant story arcs cut short just because "teh business LOL".