main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should we petition for more Prequel Era content from Disney?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jesta', Jan 30, 2017.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I remember before TFA came out there was so much talk of how Disney were trying to avoid the prequels and when you actually watch the movie there isn't alot of obvious references to the prequels apart from a couple like Ewan doing a brief voice over or mentions of a clone army or characters talking about bringing balance to the force.

And then you could see a couple of possible debatable subtle influences like i really do think kylos look was very anakin (episode 3) to not be intentional.

And then there is Rogue One which had a few slightly more obvious ones.

2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Agreed.

Good is hardly the right description. Great is the proper word.

I don't see that one. If anyone is Anakin it's Rey and Kylo Ren.

There is no reason whatsoever to believe he failed at all. By that logic then he failed on the OT.

It was an escape scene. He just didn't know it was.

Which is the whole point. The prequels are 3 of the most successful movies ever made.

As I've said already I don't see what is so subtle about taking the entire basis on which the prequels are founded and doing the same again for both TFA and R1.

Deliveranze likes this.
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I am curious to see how the prequels take on the jedi will show in an older luke skywalker.

4. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012

I generally agree with most of what you say. Of course this is all opinion, but the general consensus which I agree with is the prequels did not have the magic of the OT with the exceptio of 3. They of course did well commercially as they are Star Wars.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    One thing I find totally ridiculous:

There have been like 20 new books released by Disney. A grand total of ONE of them has been set in the PT era.

:(

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    2. Dark Disciple and Catalyst.

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm pretty sure we won't need to start a petition.

I know it's not likely to happen until after 2020, (unless one of the announced new SW films coming up might be set in the PT era) but after seeing all of the connections/nods to the PT we've seen so far in these last SW films released-and they ARE there-I'm sure they fully intend to explore more from that era in the future...

8. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I just don't see much more to ask for. Disney isn't capable of doing prequel work in my opinion. They messed up TFA in my opinion.

TCW really fleshed out a lot and gave me enough of my prequel fix.

Don't get me wrong, I love the PT but I don't know what else there is to explore. Maybe an Obi-Wan or Mace Windu PT era spinoff? Idk

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Just going off of the novels. Not the comics.

And don't forget the Yoda arc from SW.

black_saber likes this.
  11. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm only talking about stuff coming from Disney though.

And even adding those other things in, the majority of content has still been OT-related.

Here's a tally since the Disney purchase:

Books:
    - PT: 2
    - OT: 12
    - ST: 5

Comics:
    - PT: 5
    - OT: 19
    - ST: 5

TV Shows:
    - PT: 0
    - OT: 1
    - ST: 0

Movies:
    - PT: 0
    - OT: 2
    - ST: 3

Video Games
    - PT: 1
    - OT: 2
    - ST: 2

For books I only counted YA and Adult novels. I did not count movie novelizations.

For comics I counted individual story arcs (Darth Vader Vol. 1 counts as one, same with Yoda's Secret War). I did not count movie adaptations.

I wouldn't complain if it were the ST getting this much focus - it's coming out now so it makes sense. But that's not the case.

Honestly the ST is barely getting more attention than the PT.

8 PT projects, 15 ST projects, and 36 OT projects. That's really overdoing it IMO.

12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't know what you mean by PT era as Catalyst, Dark Disciple, Ashoka, Lords of the Sith, Tarkin, Thrawn, A New Dawn etc are all part of that era as much or more than the OT one.

The years in-between III and IV are just as much and I'd argue more to do with the PT.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You could also make the case for the Kanan comics being PT era.

Also at least the PT is getting content. The Old EU isn't getting anything except for TOR. Count your blessings.

I don't consider Rebels OT era. Dark Times, bridge gap era would be more appropriate.
    A new dawn, Tarkin, LOTS, etc, would also fit into that era, so your numbers will be different.
    ROTS to ANH isn't OT era.

14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I put the first volume of Kanan comics in the OT, the second volume in the PT.

Anything after ROTS I consider OT era. Likewise with after ROTJ - I consider that ST era material.

Basically, if Darth Vader is active and OT stormtroopers and OT TIE Fighters are running around, I consider it OT era.

True point though re: TOR. But that's also part of my irritation. Why can't we have any canon material in that era?

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If Luke Skywalker is active, then it's OT era imo. Can make Rebellion era and or Galactic Civil War sub-eras longer though. Probably don't want to stretch themselves thin by jumping to the old republic era. Would you really consider WWII to have started in 1918? I could see early 30's but there is an inter war period.

16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I disagree. If the Empire led by the Sith is around then it's OT.

Why do you feel the way you do?

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  17. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    How I view the Era's

Old Republic: 1000+ Years before The Phantom Menace

Prequel: The Phantom Menace - Revenge of the Sith

Original: Mist Encounter - The Truce of Bakura

New Republic: The Truce of Bakura - Vision of the Future

If it's post ROTS, it's OT.

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Because a novel like Lords of the Sith is impossible to do without the prequels just as much as a movies like The Force Awakens and Rogue One is impossible to do without the prequels.

The story of the OT actually starts when Luke is re-introduced into the story and which leads to Vader and then the Emperor becoming aware of him.

Before that it's the story of Anakin and in galactic terms the the Sith and the Empire which is started and continues on from the prequels.

19. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    In the eyes of an Disney subordinate or Original Trilogy purist, your comment is written by someone insane. [face_rofl]

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    For the NEU

Republic era: Pre TPM-Darth Maul Comic, Yoda's Secret War,
    Prequel Era: TPM-ROTS 4 movies, 6 tv seasons, Catalyst, Dark Disciple, Obi-Wan and Anakin, Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, Kanan flashbacks,
    Dark Times: ROTS to ANH: R1, HS, 4 tv seasons of Rebels, Thrawn, AND, LOTS, Ashoka, Tarkin, Rebel Rising, Guardians of the Whills, SOTE, Darth Vader comic, Kanan flashbacks and Rebels era.
    Original Trilogy: ANH-ROTJ: 3 movies, HTTJ, Battlefront 1 and 2, 3 continuing series', 5 Mini's. SR, MT, WOTJ
    New Republic: ROTJ-TFA- 1 continuing series, 1 mini, 1 single issue, BTA, Aliens anthology, Bloodline, Aftermath trilogy, Phasma,
    ST: TFA-E9. 3 movies, 1 comic,

Don't have all of the short stories though. Dark Times ROTS to ANH seems the busiest to me. R1 is the end of an era and the beginning of another.

Sub-eras
    Clone Wars: AOTC-ROTS
    Rebellion era/Galactic Civil War: Rebels-Aftermath: EE
    FO/Resistance conflict Bloodlines-E9.
    Etc.

21. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    My advise when things like this happen is talk with your wallet. Disney technically bought 6 films and the Clone Wars show. I dont know if they could profit from any of the old books, but someone correct me if I am wrong if they can. To your point Jesta, this is exactly why I have not seen their 2 movies and I wont see the new one UNTIL they do right by the 6 films. George created 2 halves of ONE Story. The OT and the PT. There is 19 years between the two halves. What really irritated me about Force Awakes was the OT pandering they did. Correct me if I am wrong but there are is what 30 years from ROTJ to the new Disney stuff right? Why after 30 years is there still Tie Fighters, X Wings, Stormtroopers I saw all this in the trailers. I heard these new movies feature a new type of Deathstar? I know the villain in the new movies is a wannabe Darth Vader who wears a mask for NO REASON. There is 19 years from ROTS to ANH and in those 19 years all Battledroids are gone, no Jedi Starfighters are used, all the Clone Battle equipment is replaced. Maybe my math is bad but last i checked 30yrs >19yrs. So why the pandering? All those talented people at LucasFilm and they gave us more Stormtroopers, Tie Fighters and X Wings 30 years after they were already OLD in the OT. That is just lazy, my stance is wait for Disney to come around and show love to the OTHER half of what George Lucas sold to them. I dont think a petition will help, but have at it. I have only seen 6 Star Wars films in my life and it will remain at 6 until they show some attention to the 40BBY-12BBY timeline. I have to talk with my wallet.

22. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Putting the entire dark times as OT era is heavily flawed.

23. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Man this thread is so annoying. People really dont know the difference between the PT-Clone Wars era and the OT-Rebellion era. Its like people are making their own definitions on the spot. Rebels the TV show is all OT-Rebellion era. there is nothing PT about Rebels. What I see in this thread is posters using reverse psychology to justify what Disney-LFL is doing. If I see Storm troopers, Tie Fighters, Imperial officers that is OT and that is what Rebels is. If I see Clones, Jedi KnightS (as a legal organization), Republic senators then that is PT era. Rebels and Rogue One is apart of the Rebellion vs Empire story line which is apart of the OT. The big gray area is now 19BBY-5BBY because of Rebels, not 19BBY- 0BBY. Rebels and Rogue one basically adds\extends the OT by 5 years. So using math you look at 19BBY-5BBY That is 14 years of what many of you guys call the "Dark Times" So the questions in this gray area are.

1 When did the Clones stop service and the Stormys began service?
    2 When did Vader stop hunting the Jedi officially?
    3 When did the Empire changed from the ARC-170 to the Tie Fighter?
    4 When did the Empire change from the Republic Cruisers to Imperial Star Destroyers?
    5 Who was the first rebel cell? When did they form? When did they first attack the Empire?

These are questions to help gauge when the PT-Clone War era ends and where the OT-Rebellion era begins. I know many of you guys will reference books, comics and video games, but what about the main media of the films and TV shows? None of these questions are answered there. When fans say PT we are talking about before their were StormTroopers, before all the Jedi Knights\Masters were killed off, before Tie Fighters, before Imperial Star Destoyers and before a rebel cell actually attacked the Empire. Saying all things prior to ANH is PT is wrong.

24. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    CoolyFett, well said. But did Vader ever officially "stop hunting Jedi"? I feel like he was always on the look out for possible survivors, even being wary in ANH when Tarkin arrogantly says he is "the last of their ancient religion."

25. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Well put it this way, by ANH Tarkin was basically telling him Obi Wan and all the other Jedi were dead. So there had to be a point where Palpatine told Vader to move on and he did. Im sure not all the Jedi(not counting Yoda and Obi Wan) died by the end of ROTS. Vader and the Clones spent some time searching and killing them. When did this hunt eventually end to the point where Vader and the Clones were not actively seeking them out. That would make a big turning point in the dark times 19BBY-5BBY. Obi Wan seemed pretty relaxed in ANH, Kanan doesnt seem to be avoiding the Empire in Rebels. Vader seems to be trying to deal with the Rebel cells in Rebels vs hunting for Jedi.