main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should we see Darth Sidious fight?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DarthMaul13, Jul 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSidious990

DarthSidious990 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    I think we should know more about him in EPIII. He should be revealed in the next one. its only right.

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I got two good duel ideas Yoda vs Sidious,or Light Anakin vs Sidious.It eould be great to see the most powerful jedi knight and sith lord battle each other. We could see how Anakin turned. He could have been tempted by Sidious in the fight,and at the end he could join him.Thats a good Darth Vader origin

3. LordSinshine

LordSinshine Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    I thought of that too...what if the reason for Anakin's injuries (that force him to become the full fledge Vader with the mask and suit) was all due to a conflict between him and Sidious (using force lightning perhaps on Anakin). Paralleling ESB, Sidious could serious injure Anakin and then tempt him to join Sidious to rule the galaxy together...and Anakin agrees (unlike Luke)!

If Lucas is NOT doing the lava bit, I think this would be a cool way to explain the suit Vader needs to stay alive. It would also make that scene in ESB more powerful, as Vader has an idea to overturn the Emperor's rule to his and Luke's.

On the down side, I'm not sure how the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan duel would fit in to
    this scenario (and that's something I really want to see!).

On this I will meditate.

4. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    I'm sorry but Paralleling ROTJ is too predictable? No its not. Lucas has said that his story is somewhat of a symphony where themes get repeated adnauseum.

By the way we will learn more about Sidious but he will not fight, he has Vader, Dooku and the Stormtroopers for that.

5. BobaFett688

BobaFett688 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2001
    Should we see Darth Sidious fight? Yes. Oh, God, yes. I wouldn't feel complete if I didn't. I'm not talking about zapping a little lighting, I'm talking unsheath the lightsaber. There should a be a big showdown between Sidious, Dooku, Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Yoda (Mace should be dead; let's say Anakin's already killed him.) We'd see Sidious fight Yoda, Dooku fight Anakin, Anakin fight Obi-Wan, Anakin fight Yoda. That would be cool. And all this should take place on a volcano, and Anakin's gotta fall in somehow.

6. BobaFett688

BobaFett688 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2001
    Oh yeah, and at the beginning of the fight Sidious should dramatically pull back his hood to reveal that he is Palpatine, and just as he does so we hear a motif from Duel of the Fates.

7. markdil

markdil Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    Seeing Sidious fight would take away all of the mystery from his character. I like that we have no idea what he's capable of until "So be it. Jedi."

8. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I think having Anakin fight Dooku, would not only be predictable but also recyling old material from ROTJ.

ROTJ would seem like a pointless episode. They already brought back the death star, have primitives fight technological evil, so why repeat a similar fight sequence?

9. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    the point actually is that whereas in EP3 Anakin fights Dooku and kills him, succumbing to the Darkside, when Luke fights Vader in ROTJ he holds back and stands up to the Darkside. A perfect parallel and reflection for Anakin/Vader to realise tat he can have that strength to defeat someone without killing them. Luke shows him the way.

and ROTJ would be a pointless episode if we've already seen the Emperor fight.

And it wont be a similar fight sequence. The net result is that Anakin does what Luke did not. The fight will be different. The only parallel is that Anakin defeats a Sith Lord and then becomes a Sith whereas Luke defeats a Sith Lord holds back and becomes a Jedi. This is where both journeys meet.

As i explained, Lucas is making this into a symphony an things will be repeated. In the TPM adio commntray he even says he is putting the characters in essentially the same situations.
    Granted the Anakin vs. Dooku fight will not have as much emotional weight and thats why Anakin kills Dooku and turns whereas Luke vs. Vader has plenty of emotional weight and Luke holds backbecause of the love for his father.

10. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    First of all, we never see Sidious fight. Shooting Lightning for 10 seconds is not fighting.

Second of all, the fact that Dooku vs. Anakin has no emotional impact is the main reason why it shouldn't be shown. If Dooku were to fight Anakin, it would be too obvious as to who would win and it would greatly lessen the tension in such a duel. Rather boring, IMHO.

11. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    My answer to the question:

No, absolutely not.

If he fights, it had better be done extremely tastefully and in a thematically relevant manner.

The way I see it, the real genius of Sidious/Palpatine is that he never actually does anything. He gets other people to do things for him. The one moment when he finally resorts to physical violence, zapping Luke in ROTJ, only comes after the realization that he has failed to wrap his clever words around Luke, where he succeeded with everyone he has ever faced before him. From the realization of this failure, Palpatine uses physical violence as the last resort. And that also happens to be a catalyst behind his downfall.

12. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    The idea that Sith betray each other should not be shown in Episode 3, and rather be a complete suprise in the OT. Anakin's words to Luke in ESB about overthrowing the Emperor and Sidious's command to Luke to kill his father should stay unique and shocking to the later episodes.

It should be seen that Sith remain fiercly loyal in the PT as to give the later episodes more emotional impact with the Sith betrayl.

In other words, we shouldn't see Palpy telling Anakin to kill Dooku, and we shouldn't see Dooku, telling Anakin to kill Palpy.

As for whether Palpy should fight in E3? Yes, it should be done tastefully.

13. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

We don't really need to see him fight. It is clear that this guy can handle himself. It adds to the mystery of the character if we never see him do it.

14. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Sidious has already set up Tyranus to be the target of Anakin's vengence, just like he's been setting up Anakin by telling him that he will be the most powerful Jedi ever. Now he just waits until Anakin kills Tyranus to make Anakin his new apprentice.

15. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Nevermind the fighting, I'm just anticipating a truely wicked scene when Yoda and whatever Jedi are left (poss only Yoda) finally realise who Palpy is - (excluding cloning theories 'cause my head gets hurt and my eyes water when I read the 55 page threads about them...) I can imagine a gloating, spitting Palpy-Sid with an evil gleam in his eyes finally triumphing (with that sweet "happy senator music" in the background.... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.