Should we start a Fresno Fan Force?

Discussion in 'Fresno, CA' started by donsolo, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donsolo Jedi Knight

star 2
    It seems we have enough people in here who could keep one going... I'd help out and I'm sure there will be more in line we can suck into this forum too.

I was wondering though, what does a Fan Force actualy do? Do enough people really want one?

I'm tired and I forgot my other thoughts... but I was just testing the waters to see if we could get something mobilized before the midnight ROTS show, and why would we if we could.
  2. jedivalens Force Ghost

star 4
    Well we tried making one around the time AOTC came out. Everything was going fine. We had a meeting and everything. But then it seemed people disappeared. Its also tough since some people don't live in Fresno. It would be great to start one up and keep it going this time around.
  3. Jirin_Raman Jedi Master

star 4
    I would've loved to continue to keep the efforts going on creating the FanForce, but as Valens said, things didn't work out last time.

I have always thought it would've worked better had DS_George, myself, and some others here in Merced did our own thing, since we are 60 miles away, but with him in the 501st now, chances are that wouldn't happen, either.
  4. donsolo Jedi Knight

star 2
    what's a good size for a fan force meeting and how often should they be? and what about? I'm just intrigued y the idea... I'm not good at starting conversations :p
  5. Jedi-Finney Force Ghost

star 4
    back when we were starting on making a fanforce, the mods said all we needed were 6 people i think, and 1 meeting a month...
  6. aero- Jedi Knight

star 2
    that's exactly what's needed. I was very active with the phoenix fan force, and we did appearances for charity activities, movie premieres, conventions, basically tried to get as much exposure as possible.

not to mention it's loads of fun and it's amazing how close you get to your fan force friends. we held parties, movie nights, etc...lots of stuff to do.

fresno is kinda far from merced, but if we held meetings once a month that people could commit to, i'm willing to make that drive.
  7. Bladion Jedi Padawan

I'd be up for it. And I'm sure I could drag my wife as long as well. By the way, if this does happen, would there be an age limit? I kinda want to turn my daughter into a "Star Wars nerd", as my wife puts it, as well. I mean, she's already got her Chewbacca and Wicket "Buddies" and loves 'em to death!
  8. Jirin_Raman Jedi Master

star 4
    Good luck this time around, guys.

We tried last time, but the idea just kind of died off.
  9. aero- Jedi Knight

star 2
    the way to succeed is SUPPORT. if everyone puts in actual effort, there's no way we could fail at it.

i've already talked to the RSA of the phoenix fan force and they thought it would be awesome to have a sister FF :D
  10. donsolo Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm in and will help out as much as I can... I'm just not sure what to do :confused:
  11. AnakinsLuv Force Ghost

star 3
    Well, my husband and I are in too, just as long as the meetings were held in Fresno. I would love to start a Fan Force! Started a line party at Edwards and I think we could recruit people there in line. We could actually hand out flyers and HELLO! If all 5 screens are sold out there, what better place to find SW fans?! :D

If we could get lots of people to join that were willing to really make it work then it won't die off, but if there is only 6 or so of us, chances are it won't make it, ya know?

Plus, we need more women in here...this place is seriously lacking in fangirls [face_batting] [face_frustrated]

But yeah, someone please find out what it takes to start one. You talk to your people and I will talk to mine and we'll go from there...

-AnakinsLuv
  12. DarksiderGeorge Jedi Knight

star 2
    I would love to start a Fan Force! Started a line party at Edwards and I think we could recruit people there in line. We could actually hand out flyers and HELLO! If all 5 screens are sold out there, what better place to find SW fans?!

Actually that is an awesome idea!! Whos got some artistic talent to make the flyers!

My gf can join these boards too... That would add one more female to the ranks. Im not sure that she would post too much though.... I will ask her.
  13. donsolo Jedi Knight

star 2
    OK, after a quick look at the requirements and we're almost there already...
    http://theforce.net/fanforce/fanforce/fanforce_faq.asp#ffcity
    Basaicly, we need 3 scheduled events before they'll call us a chapter (doesn't give a time frame) and to choose one person to represent us... plus the 1 meeting per month with at least 6 people as you've said.

So- with AnakinsLuv starting the line party at Edwards, that could be our first event (but I can't go to it [face_frustrated] oh well) - we just need it announced on TF.N's site (just need to send an email to fanforce1@theforce.net ... I could do it, but I'm thinking maybe AnakinsLuv would make the most sense seeing as it's her party [face_thinking] )
  14. aero- Jedi Knight

star 2
    i'm a graphic artist..just tell me what you want on the flyer and i can bust one out in pdf form for ya.
  15. Jedi-Finney Force Ghost

star 4
    it should say JOIN US OR DIE!!!!
  16. Obi1kenny Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't know if you read this in the other topic, but I was thinking this might go a little further if your not limiting yourself to calling the group "Fresno Fan Force."

You might be able to pick up more members if you go with something like "Central Valley Fan Force."

But again it's just an opinion.
  17. Jirin_Raman Jedi Master

star 4
    You might be able to pick up more members if you go with something like "Central Valley Fan Force."

Been there, done that, Ken! We tried that the last time, we attempted to make ourselves a Central Valley or San Joaquin Fan Force. It failed, though. We had our 1st meeting, but never followed through after that.
  18. donsolo Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'd think it would be better for it to be for anyone in the central valley if there are no others... but if it didn't work before then, well, I don't know. Call it the Fresno Fan Force but all the central Valley is welcome to join, since we'd be the closest fan force around I guess.
  19. Obi1kenny Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh well, then proceed as planed then.

But what you really need to do is advertise. Print up some flyers to hand out at the threater, but remember to OK this all with the managment first. You need to tell people to come here and where it's at. I know this is nothing new and it has probably been tried before, but just keep at it.

20. ThatGuy Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've been wondering if there were any groups here in Fresno. I'd be willing to help set some stuff up as well and participate. I'm lining up at Edwards too for the midnight showing. Who else is going to that showing? Our tickets are in theatre 12.

Paul
  21. Jirin_Raman Jedi Master

star 4
    The info you seek is here:

Where Will You See Episode III?

Question: If we all meet up at Edwards on 5/18, can we count it as Meeting #2, since we did all gather once before at Tim McDonald's restaurant in River Park? ;)
  22. donsolo Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm so sad... I'll be like the only one in here at Signature!
  23. Rabbit4x Jedi Knight

Don't worry, Im seeing it on Saturday at Sig.
  24. AnakinsLuv Force Ghost

star 3
    aero -- Great! Why don't you come up with some stuff and PM them to me. Or better yet, post them here on our board and then we can vote on them. :D Whichever you prefer...

Is anyone good at coming up with a good slogan/way to promote our fan force?? I like Finney's idea about "Join us or die".

What do you guys think about a little spin on that...

"Join the Fresno Fan Force and together we will rule the Central Valley!" [face_devil]

Just keep throwing them out there and we'll vote.

I should have asked Edwards managment about handing out flyers when I was there tonight, but I hadn't checked this board since the last time I posted [face_frustrated]. We saw Kingdom of Heaven, which was excellent IMO. :D

I guess I'll have to call them or something.

donsolo -- I would be happy to email tfn about the line party. :)

DarksiderGeorge -- Send that gf in here! Is she a fan of the Love Story? [-o|

Hopefully, this line party can be considered our second party. And I think maybe we should call it the Fresno Fan Force but include everyone in the Central Valley.

Does anyone know exactly what we should put on this flyer?? Besides our little slogan and info about our boards here at tfn?? Like, when should we have the next meeting? Do we put our screen names on it so they can contact us?? Who's our leader?? :confused:

-AnakinsLuv, who is not real sure which theater she's in at Edwards... [face_thinking]
  25. Jirin_Raman Jedi Master

star 4
    If we can call this our 2nd meeting, that'd be great.

I still think calling us the "Fresno FanForce" limits our scope. However, calling ourselves the Central Valley or San Joaquin FF would involve us having to check with other chapters in the Valley for their permission, I guess.

As far as a slogan, hmmmm.... [face_thinking]

We also have to come up with a banner, if I recall correctly. Who was it last time who said they'd do the graphics work? Finney?

The "leader" thing, I believe, was a topic we didn't really narrow down at the last meeting. Once we got to the restaurant, everyone was so busy eating, we didn't talk much business! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.