Should we try to follow the new suggested moderator promotion guidelines?

Discussion in 'Literature Poll forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Sep 26, 2002.

?

Should we try to follow the new suggested moderator promotion guidelines?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
Yes, lets be the first. 34 vote(s) 65.4%
No, the old way is better. 5 vote(s) 9.6%
No opinion one way or another. 13 vote(s) 25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  2. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Here's how this would work:

1) Everyone who wants to can nominate someone, sending the nominations to the AC.

2) The AC then weeds through the nominations, picks four or five, and sends them to the Mod Squad.

3) We then vote on the few that are left, and the new moderator is announced.

The entire process should take just over a week: three days of nominations, an extra day or two for the AC to narrow it down to four or five, and then two or three days for the Mod Squad to vote. It tries to add an element of democracy to the promotion of a moderator, and this would be the first time such a thing was tried on these boards. We could be pioneers! Or we could do it the same way as every previous promotion. It?s your choice.
  3. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
  4. darthparth Jedi Master

star 3
    The mods pick whoever they like?

I think this way sounds pretty good. If it doesn't work, we can always switch back, I guess...
  5. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes, the current method is for the moderators alone to choose someone that they think would be a good moderator.
  6. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Personally I *do* think the Mods are the ones who should have the say - maybe not democratic, but who better than a Mod to know who could do the job?
  7. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    What about the other way that was suggested in the other threads -- Mods suggest a slate of choices and users vote via PM to AC (or another location?).

I think that's a "less good" solution than the others, but it might be useful to discuss it.

I'm also very torn between the other two methods -- I like democracy, but I also like the last choices the EU Lit Mods made... :)
  8. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    I don't care how, as long as we get at least 1 more in Lit.
  9. The_Standmaiden Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't really know that much about it, but I like both this idea and dp4m 's. It would be nice to have a say.
  10. Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Either way is ok by me.
  11. stecm Jedi Master

star 4
    Why not try the new method? It's worth a shot...
  12. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't care either way, as long as we get another moderator or two, and they do a good job.
  13. Amidala Starkiller Force Ghost

star 6
    Testing it once wouldn't be the end on the world.
  14. Face Loran Jedi Master

star 4
    The nomination method could work very well in the Lit. forum. There is a definite close-knit community feel to that forum in particular. Everyone knows each other, so to speak. I feel the guidelines should definitely be tried, and I can not imagine them not being a success.
  15. NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I say, give it a try. If it doesn't work, then change it the next time around.
  16. Thejedikiller Jedi Master

star 3
    I personally feel a nomination method would be better. It would give all ppl's the since that they help choose whoever becomes the next Mod.
  17. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    I don't know, that would probably just result in a popularity contest. Just because someone's name is recognizable and they post a lot of interesting post, that doesn't necessarily mean they'd be good as a mod. (I'm not talking about anyone in particular :p )
  18. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Depends on who is chosen the first time this happens.

Or was a mod already chosen this way?
  19. chissdude10 Jedi Youngling

star 5
    The new way sounds fine to me.
  20. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    We should give the new way a shot and see how well it works.
  21. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    I don't think it would hurt to experiment with the idea to see how it would work in practice, though I personally think nominations will just end up being a list of who is popular.

I don't understand why the current system doesn't also include an application process, like there is to be a Fan Fic Reviewer. You could announce that you are accepting applications from this date to this date and then sift through them when a new Mod is needed. Then you can couple that with a nomination/suggestion thread, if people really seem to want that.
  22. flying_fishi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think it would work well in the Lit Forum, where a few people really stand out as good users :) In larger forums it would be quite chaotic ;)

~monogpfm
  23. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    The new way works for Lit because it is not likely to become a popularity contest.

In other boards, however, it might pose a problem.
  24. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I think we should try the new way of picking. Whats the worst that could happen?

Axl.
  25. JADES_FIRE Jedi Master

star 4
    I think that we should try the new way. :D

After all, how will we know which way works better if we don't try them all. ;)

Is there a probation period for new Mod's :confused:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.