main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should we try to follow the new suggested moderator promotion guidelines?

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Poll forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Sep 26, 2002.

?

Should we try to follow the new suggested moderator promotion guidelines?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Yes, lets be the first.

65.4%
  2. No, the old way is better.

9.6%
  3. No opinion one way or another.

25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I say try to "new" method, but in all honesty, I don't see how much different it is from the old way. Before, the current mods got together and narrowed down a list into one or two people to make an offer to. The only difference with the new method is that we choose the list to narrow it down from. The people we nominate will probably be the same people the mods would have looked at anyway - people fairly well known on the boards with a high post count. Since the members are not voting, it's not really democracy, but a republic.

Personally, I think to make it democratic the mods should make a short list of nominations and let the Lit Forum members vote via secret PM ballot.

EDIT:

Also, if the mods nominate and we vote, it's probably better because the mods can better nominate people who are typically on the boards during the times of the day when they are not.

2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Where is the AC to send nominations?

3. jacesolo1138

jacesolo1138 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Might as well give the new way a test.

4. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Lets try it this way and see if it works. It really doesn't matter to me as long as we get another mod.

5. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Well, I selected No Opinion because I think the mods have done a very good job in choosing thus far, but on the other hand, I see nothing wrong with trying out the new method. As others have said, Lit is definitely an ideal testing ground.

Eh, I say go for it. If it doesn't work out, no harm done. And if it does, well, all the better for the forum. :)

6. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    OK, we?ve hit snarls in the proposed plan to use the AC to filter people in the choosing of a moderator in the Literature forum. Specifically, the AC is apparently mostly AWOL. So we?re probably not going through that route unless they start showing a lot more of a presence.

I?ve proposed another idea ((Darth_Kevin?s idea, more or less) in the Mod Squad that would get users more directly tied to the moderator selection process, but which wouldn?t involve the AC. If it pans out, I?ll keep this thread updated with what?s going on.

7. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Thnaks Gandolf.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    What the dilly, yo? Has it been established whether or not we're even getting another mod?

9. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    We?re getting another moderator. That, I can pretty much guarantee. The problem is that the AC doesn?t really do much. They?ve basically atrophied, and now that we actually are finding stuff for them to do, no one is around to do it.

I would have liked to have had a new moderator by tomorrow, just in time for Destiny?s Way?s release, but even as we started the process I knew that was unlikely to happen. As things stand now, it?s my hope that we?ll have someone by Friday, but I can?t make any promises at all. If DK?s proposal succeeds in the Mod Squad (it?s getting about fifty percent for, fifty percent against right now, so it could go either way) then we could have one by then.

10. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    I think that's a good idea :) THe list should be pretty devoid of your average idiot by the time the mods are through with it.

But then they modded Strum... :( :p

~monogpfm

11. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    New Mod = teh aboot time :D

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  13. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Always glad to help.

14. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    By all means, let's be pioneers!

Too many times in Comms I've seen users complain about not having any input as far as the Moderator selecting process goes. This would be a gigantic leap in the right direction as far as that goes.

Lead on Magellan! :)

JMA

15. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    Cannibals ate Magellan halfway through his trip around the world! :eek: Do you really want to jinx Gandolf like that? [face_mischief]

16. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    Wow! It's actually happening! :D

I hope nothing screws up :) [face_mischief]

~monogpfm

17. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    J_S:

ROFLMAO! I forgot about that little tidbit! Whoops! :D

JMA

18. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Now I'm not going to get the image of Gandy being devoured out of my head.

Not totally a bad thing. ;) :p

Anyway, back on topic, as Gandy said, it's looking likely like we will have a new mod for Lit. Timing would have been nice, but really, unless we had them in to learn the ropes before DW's release, it wouldn't have made as big a difference. We're still looking at the viable alternatives for the system, but we definitely want to use Lit as a testing ground.

19. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    I'm having enough trouble with Monkeys. I don't need Cannibals added to the mix. ;)

20. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    If you'd get some Cannibal Monkeys you could solve several problems at once.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If you'd get some Cannibal Monkeys you could solve several problems at once.

What is this? Bad Taste/Dead Alive?!?

But seriously... I'm still not sold on the popular vote vs. Mod selection... I haven't yet voted yet either for "No real opinion"... :)

If it was a kinda popular vote scenario -- what's the revised solution since the AC is AWOL?

22. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    My second proposed method:

1) The Literature moderators make up a short list of those who we think would make a good moderator and put those 4-5 names on the ballot.
    2) We PM those who have access to the private Literature poll forum with the ballots, and give them 48 hours to respond. We?d warn people not to discuss the voting amongst them until the voting period was over. IN BIG LETTERS AT THE TOP OF THE PM SO THAT NO ONE MISSED IT. If they do discuss it, it could result in their ballot not being counted, or in the case of a candidate, having them dropped from consideration. That should cut out campaigning.
    3) We count up who has the most votes. In the event of a tie... we'll decide that if and when there is a tie.

23. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    That sounds a great to me....

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ah -- so the "Moderator Slate" Popular Vote Method. I dig it. ;)

Yep, that sounds cool to me -- Mods select reasonable candidates and Lit Forum denizens vote on it...

25. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Sounds good to me.

And if there's a tie, you can still do what I suggested last time, just make em both mods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.