main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Hey Fanficers! In fixing the prefixes something happened and now you can't edit titles. Don't panic! We're looking into what happened and trying to fix it.

Saga "Show some respect...", 12 mini-vignettes on the death of Nagina (19 BBY)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Feb 9, 2018.

1. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Story: “Show some respect on this deck for the dear departed”

Summary: An announcement of death makes its way through various communication channels of the Empire.

Time frame: The story takes place a day after the failed coup of Headmaster Gentis on Coruscant (19 BBY).

Continuity: Before the Saga – Legends mix-up

Length: 12 mini-vignettes:
    1. Sate Pestage on Coruscant *
    2. Mara Jade on Chandrilla3. Mon Mothma on Chandrilla
    4. Darth Vader on Coruscant
    5. Governor Ryder Azadi on Lothal
    6. Wilhuff Tarkin on board the "Executrix" *
    7. Bail Organa on Alderaan
    8. Gallius Rax on Jakku *
    9. Aurra Sing on board the "Slave I"
    10. Prince Xizor
    11. Maul on Malachor
    12. Saw Gerrera on Jedha *

Genre: Drama with a bit of humour

Planet of choice: several worlds

Disclaimer: SW is owned by George Lucas, Lucas Ltd. and now The Walt Disney Company

1. Sate Pestage on Coruscant

The message was simple. It was a small flimsi sheet that had came in with the Shawda club sandwich that he had ordered in CoCo Town. The text was written in Aurebesh. One sentence only: “Unicorn down!”

Sate Pestage smiled and threw the sheet straight into the fire of his chimney. While the flames consumed it, he pulled himself a generous glass of Naboo blossom wine. He left the wine to breath for a while and turned to the sandwich. To enjoy it a bit longer, he used his silver cutlery. Every bite he took was divine.

For an alien creature Dexter Jettster was an amazing chéf. A pity he had decided to feed the working classes of Coruscant. A restaurant like the 'Manarai' would have been a suitable environment for the Besalisk.

Fat dripped from the Naboo man’s mouth and he cleaned it neatly with a napkin.

Nagina’s assassination had been one of the most secret military operations that the Imperial advisor ever got involved in. His double agent had been successfully placed near the group of males and females that acted around the notorious war criminal Saw Gerrera. The aim had been simple. To lure the terrorists to Lothal. There the unfortunate target had revealed itself.

That Headmaster Gentis had orchestrated a coup against Sheev at the same time had come in handy. The focus of his old childhood friend had been on survival and not on the well-being of his niece.

Regret welled up in Sate Pestage. To slit Nagina’s throat open all by himself would have given him a much greater satisfaction. But Wilhuff Tarkin and Gallus Rex had made a pact with him. No member of their triumvirate had been allowed to hunt her down personally.

The Imperial advisor put the napkin aside again.

The links with a double agent were easy to cut off. To dispose of such a person was not a great problem either. In case of a thorough investigation, Saw Gerrera would be blamed anyway.

Sate Pestage finished his wine in silence, thanking the dark side of the Force that his cursed god child was no more.

Nagina had been a trouble maker from the start, hindering the career of her uncle. The glory of the Empire could have arisen sooner. She had been a distraction, of late even a whistle-blower. To eliminate her had been a necessity.

The Naboo man hoped that her death would make Sheev more feral, more sinister. That not an inch of goodness was left in him. A Sith with a heart was a burden.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Kahara and DarthUncle like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2004
    Love that you're posting! [face_dancing] Excellent ruminations -- combining gloating satisfaction and sneaky planning to hide his involvement =D=

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Kahara, DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  3. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks for beta-editing the first bunch of my mini-vignettes, reading the first one all over again and commenting to it, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha. I really don´t deserve you.

Nor do I deserve my husband @DarthUncle, who has been bravely listening to my coughing and sore voice while I read my latest ideas to him. From Monday on this flat will be more quiet again, when I am back at work.

For today, I will leave you all with the second mini-vignette, because from next Saturday on I will be on hiratus for a while. There are still places on this planet where no internet access exists. There will be just the wind in the trees and hopefully a lot of snow involved for me.

My husband will stay at home, because our land lady is forced to make some repairs.

But here is the update now:

2. Little Mara on Chandrilla

Sometimes the Force sent visions to individuals that were responsive mediums. Those visions were not always clear in their nature. They could be weak echoes of the past, their colours somewhat faded like ancient oil paintings. Or the visions could come as confusing glimpses of the future that looked like a badly edited holo music clip.

To get a message from the present was a rare occasion. The sharpness of the images and feelings that she just had received was frightening.

Mara willed her heartbeat to slow down again. Then she rubbed her eyes and stared at her alarm clock.

Here on Chandrilla it was the middle of the night still. Apart from her everybody else in the Anil family home was asleep.

The young girl fidgeted a moment before she left her bedroom.

Barefooted, Mara walked through the corridor until she stopped in front of her foster parents’ bedroom door. Inside she heard Chetan Anil snore. Ever so carefully she turned the door knob and peaked inside. The moon light shone right on Gita Anil. Despite her husband’s monstrous noises she looked peaceful.

Sighing, the girl closed the door again.

The elderly couple deserved their sleep. Perhaps it was better for them to get the news in the morning. Then they at least would be well rested. It would be even better for them to deal with the tragedy only after breakfast.

Mara decided to walk downstairs.

Once in the hallway, she left the house through the front door and walked onto the lawn. But she did not stop there. She climbed over the fence that surrounded the Anil property and vanished into the grass sea.

It was a mild night and the feeling of the grass underneath her soles was nice.

After a while Mara lay down, her arms and legs opened wide. Pretending to be a little starfish she looked into the night sky.

“May the Force be with you, Nagina! Always.”

The girl had seen exactly who had done the gruesome deed and why. But revenge was not her aim. The Force would balance itself out. It was not her place to demand justice.

Underneath her nightgown, Mara carried a big Kyber crystal with her, attached to her neck with a silver chain. She took the crystal out, moved it back and forth between her small hands.

She had promised Nagina, her former kindergarten teacher, to stay true to herself. To be better than any Jedi or Sith. It was a promise worth keeping. The Force needed scions. One day she would build her own light sabre. But not yet. There was still much to learn. Nagina had given her time.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I love Mara's compassion and thoughtfulness and careful weighing of options. She is wise beyond her years. She is growing up in a secure loving family, very much like Raissa's Mara. [face_dancing]

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  5. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: It helped that you were there for me throughout the weekend and did edit all vignettes in so far so quickly. Before I am off for a while, loading up my batteries in my special place of power, I give you another one, that @DarthUncle also knows.

3. Mon Mothma on Chandrilla

Usually, the start of her day was marked with nothing but a steaming mug of coffee, black and no sugar. But today Mon Mothma had enough time for a rich Corellian farmer breakfast. She was having a prolonged weekend on her home planet. Which meant her parents were able to spoil her senseless. But she did not mind.

Smiling, the red-haired senator ate a carob and almond brownie smoothie bowl. Then she moved on to cut into three large buttermilk pancakes. She had them with a lot of caramel syrup, won from the local sugar beets. Even though she started feeling like a nerf ready for the slaughter, she reached out for a pear and oatmeal muffin and eyed the silver dish with the fish appetizers. She could spot rainbow trout, eel and, her favourite, salmon. Perhaps a spoon full of fingerling – lime caviar – would not hurt.

“You are not pregnant, are you?” inquired her father, once an an arbiter-general in the days of the Republic.

“Of course not, dad,” pouted Mon Mothma. “As if I would have the time for a baby.”

Her mother, the current governor of Chandrilla, rolled her eyes. They were of a pale blue-green as her daughter’s. “Would Crix mind?”

“Ah, don’t start me on him again.” She put her cutlery down and pushed her plate away. “We are having a break. Because it’s...”

“Better for the comeback of the Republic,” finished her father. “We know, sweetie. It is just a pity though.”

“He is such a handsome lad,” gave her mother to consider.

Her dad added, “And I miss our fishing trips.”

Silence spread. Even the service droids stopped their work.

Crix was her sweetheart since twelve years now. Her parents did not mind that he was a product of the foster care system. The Anils, good acquaintances of the Mothma clan, were a kind local family. Their love and devotion had helped the former street kid from Corellia to turn into a valuable member of society.

When she had joined the Galactic senate, becoming one of the youngest senators to date, Crix had not applied for the CorSec Academy. Instead he had enlisted with the Republic military forces on Coruscant. Just to be closer to her. He was a true Corellian, loyal to the core and hopelessly romantic.

The comlink of her father went on. “Sorry for this!” he said with a bashful smile and left the huge kitchen.

“Work?” teased the senator.

Her mother smirked. “Certainly not a problem with the gardening machines.”

“Did he learn to speak Bocce in the meantime?”

Both women broke out in laughter.

Mon Mothma’s father was a hopeless hobby gardener. Via a real estate agent he had bought this neglected farmland ages ago. He had felt the need to have a weekend residence in the country side, far away from crowded court rooms and their bad air. Since his sudden retirement, for which the rise of the Empire was to blame, he worked outside all around the clock.

The noises of an engine were heard.

Alarmed, the senator rushed through the panorama window that overlooked the main entrance. It had to be someone with allowance to enter the property. The selection was limited to only a few people.

A speeder appeared with an insane speed. It was not a new model, but old and battered X-34.

“Crix?” Mon Mothma wondered aloud.

Her father sprinted towards the vehicle.

At the same instant her mother’s com sounded. By accident she put it on loud. “Paige, this is Gita,” sniffed a woman’s voice. “Have you seen our Crix?”

“He just arrived at our farm and, wait, he is clinging on to Ethan.”

More crying vibrated through the com, but this time it had a relieved note to it. “Thanks to the Force!”

“What happened?” inquired her mother.

“Nagina. She is dead.”

Mon Mothma frowned because this name sounded too familiar to her.

“Dead? But how? She was not anywhere near Coruscant when the terrorist attacks happened, right? She had this new teaching position on Lothal.”

All in the room held their breath.

Mon Mothma’s mind was spinning.

Until now she had had no idea that Nagina Samye had been a member of the huge Anil foster family. Crix usually did not talk about his siblings. Not because he was ashamed of them. But there was always so much else to talk about when they found time to be together.

With shaking hands the red-haired senator opened the double doors of the veranda and went outside. Her father was still holding Crix, who looked awfully pale and lost.

This was not the time for political speeches. Nor was it the time to light the flames of a rebellion.

“Crix!” she called out and ran towards him.

He blinked at her and looked grateful when her arms wrapped around him.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet with Mon's family teasing and the genuine sorrow over Nagina from Crix which Mon helps soothe. @};- I like the details of the Mothma family--their place in the community, and in larger affairs of significance. [face_thinking] Crix/Mon as a pair :cool:

Kahara, DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  7. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    I hope Sate Pestage has a long time on the 2nd death star between when he realises it might go wrong and when he actually becomes part of its dust, he's very deserving of such a plan going awry on him. Well written though! Chilling how he's a cheerleader for evil.

Mara is sweet, and I'm glad that in your story she remains in existance, and potentially with a lot happier teen-time than as emperor's hand ahead of her. He compassion, care and understanding for her foster parents and Nagina really do her credit, and your writing of her too, as despite the wisdom, she still manages to come across as a young girl.

And Mon Mothma and Crix together is nice to see - I would think with the little time either of them have in between busy work, they have other things to do than talk about his sister! I liked how her family felt real, and very supportive, though, like all parents, not quite understanding fully what issues their kid was having ;)

So, looking forward to reading more reactions to Nagina's death in which we learn more about the character and their motives/views of life in the GFFA. in what feels like a very natural way.

I suppose we already had that of Sheev in his own story, but I can think of some others that will think of her.

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.