main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Show us your set up.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Shadow_of_Evil, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
  2. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    How on earth did I not notice that before!?

3. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    I'm glag you finally did. I was starting to feel ignored....

4. Vidina

Jan 11, 2006
    Relax, I'm not treating you like PM or DK. :p

5. DARTH_CORLEONE

DARTH_CORLEONE Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Just recently added a JVC DT-V20L1DU monitor for viewing/color-correction:
    http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?feature_id=01&tree=&itempath=null&model_id=MDL101632

...pic quality is great via the Multibridge's HD-SDI....even 'downscaled' from 2K to 1080/24p.

Some stills from "Alienated"...trailer should be up soon.....

[image=http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9176/alpreva.jpg]

6. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    Woah, That looks like Silvio killing Adriana. Crazy.

7. Vidina

Jan 11, 2006
    omg, I know I've seen that dude before, but now I really can't place him. Probably all mafia films there is? :p

8. DARTH_CORLEONE

Oct 26, 2001
    He played Sal "Big P*ssy" Bonpemsiero on 'The Sopranos', and is basically the same type of character in this film....but with different 'issues'.

9. Vidina

Jan 11, 2006
    'twas Mickey Blue Eyes. Great flick that is. It's good to see he's joining independent films as well. Are you paying him?

Anyways..

10. DARTH_CORLEONE

Oct 26, 2001
    Oh he was paid, alright. Not by me personally, but he got his dough.

11. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    You guys would die laughing if I showed you mine. (don't have a still camera!) I'm no techie, but here's what I have:

Since I'm using my dad's 8 year old Sony Hi8 HandiCam and his capture card has no SVideo jack, I'm still capturing via old-fashioned Audio/Video cables...on Dad's computer, which is a Compaq with an ATI graphics card. Then I tranfer the footage to my dinky little laptop running Vista; a Dell Inspiron E1505 with 50 gigs of HD space, plus there's an external harddrive boasting 80 gigs. For 'effects', I have Photoshop and Blender. (I'm gonna ask my bro for a copy of 3DS MAX if I've got the space) I use WMM to edit, but please don't flog me. When you're literally flat broke it works pretty good for short stuff.

When I have money again I'm going for a DV camera with external mic and/or mic jack that uses Firewire or USB so I won't have to keep borrowing my dad's cam and comp. After that I'll be springing for a great big 1 Terabyte external harddrive to use exclusively for raw footage. The 'nice' editing program will come after that.

12. ramsaur

ramsaur Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2007
    Black MacBook 15"
    Processor: 2.16 GHz
    Hard Drives: 150 GB HD, 250 GB External HD & 500 GB External HD (Both HD's are running low. About to buy me a 1 or 2TB HD to last me a long time)
    Memory: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM | 667 Mhz BUS Speed
    Burners: One installed Superdrive, one external Dual-Layer Burner, and one external DVD Burner

[image=http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/ramsaur/IMG_1085.jpg]
    [image=http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/ramsaur/IMG_1086.jpg]

13. DARTH_CORLEONE

Oct 26, 2001
    CalDigit HDOne 8 TB Array:

[image=http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6757/cald.jpg]

JVC DT-V20L1UD LCD production monitor:

[image=http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/439/monf.jpg]

Was just able to fit in in the space with literally less than an inch of overhead clearance...

[image=http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2413/alldesk.jpg]

14. Vidina

Jan 11, 2006
    *drool*

15. Psilaef_Zeias

Psilaef_Zeias Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2006
    I swear, some people come here just to flex and kick sand in our faces.:(

16. Joel_K

Joel_K Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2007
    'And throw water-balloons filled with pee at us.'

17. DARTH_CORLEONE

Oct 26, 2001
    Don't look at it that way...I've been doing this for a living for a good while. The downside (or at least some of the many) is that it's required for the work, it's looked for/requested by clients. and it's hard to get ahead in terms of money because you're constantly putting it back into the system. It'd be a bit easier on the nerves if you could handle 2 or three big jobs at the same time, charge spec per day, and get tax id/business discounts on purchases. But when you're basically a one-man operation/facility....well....

18. Psilaef_Zeias

Psilaef_Zeias Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2006
    Yeah, I get it. It was more of a compliment than complaint. Keep it coming![face_peace]

19. DARTH_CORLEONE

Oct 26, 2001
    Dude, if you knew how much you had to pay for such little capability 'back in the day' when I got started in all of this ....[face_skull] . To be honest, I sometimes get a little peeved that so much capability IS so accessible to more everyday consumers/hobbyists these days...that is, until I have to actually buy stuff. :p

20. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I wish Apple would redesign the Mac Pro.

I'm planning to replace mine in the next six months or so and it'll be weird having a computer that looks just the same as the old one. Never happened before. :eek:

Dude, if you knew how much you had to pay for such little capability 'back in the day' when I got started in all of this ....

God, just yesterday I was reading reminisces of people who used to work in local broadcast TV back in the day... six figures for an offline editing station, seven figures for an online... now it's all one and you can buy it at a retail store from a cheerful twentysomething girl who wants to sell you an iPod for just a coupla hundred bucks more. :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

21. DARTH_CORLEONE

Oct 26, 2001
    Where they really need a redesign is in the area of PCI slots...you only get four and considering you need 16X for your graphics card which can take up two slots....then you can only go with two more 4X's (not even with earlier MPs)...you're kinda' %$#@ out of luck if you need more than one RAID controller and a PCI video card like a Kona or BlackMagic. And now with the Red Rocket card coming out, forget it...you need a whole other machine...not to mention the $4K and change for the card.

Yeah....but it still depends on what kind of work you're doing and for whom. If we're talking real broadcast and feature film work...even small independent stuff...you'll need a bit more than just a laptop and some firewire drives. It's a bit tough walking that line between just a gun-for-hire freelancer and a full-service facility. One of the only solaces is claiming all my utilities/apt costs and purchases come tax time. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.