main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Showtime] Your favorite serial killer, Dexter!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBobbalot, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Finished watching the rest of Season 2 and the first 2 episodes of season 3.

Waiting on the third epi.

Has anyone read the books. I've requested all 3 the library, but insted of having the first volume, they had 2 of the second for me. I couldn't wait and went with reading Dearly Devoted Dexter. I was surprised at some of the difference between show and books in relation to the some of the characters, but love them all the same. I mean damn Doakes!! I felt bad for him in the show. :eek:

2. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    As I understand it the books are hugely different from the show. Especially the sequels. Like each successive one gets more ridiculous.

3. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I got turned on to Dexter by an ex; she loved the show and got me hooked. Now I've started reading the books.

4. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Halfway through the third book and giggled at the Jedi Master and Raiders of the Lost Ark references. :-B

5. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Jimmy Smits is such a great actor.

Hmm, will Dexter be able to have a confidante in Prado?

6. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    I loved the first two episodes of this season so far... excellent. Can't wait to get around to watching the third one.

7. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Don't know why this thread has languished away with the series still running. And holy crap what an ending for season 4!

I have so many thoughts and questions on what season 5 will bring. How will Trinity's family not find out who Kyle is. And when will Deb suddenly begin to really wonder how the hell did Dexter get there so fast???

What are your thoughts on both this season and next?

8. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I've found that any discussion beyond "HOLY CRAP!! HOLY CRAP!! HOLY CRAP!!!" on Dexter sort of starts to ruin the show.

9. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    lol My reaction was more OM*G!!!! I've been thinking about the episode since I watched it last night. I think it was just brilliant, though I'm afraid to say too much and ruin it for someone else.

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I bought the first book the week it came out, before there was a series. And I fell in love with the serial killer right then and there! :D The series is awesome and Michael C. Hall is amazing! I peeked and I found out that my husband bought me season 3 for Christmas, so I've got the whole set. Loving season 4 so far, even though I'm a bit behind! :(

Still haven't finished the latest season, but in the books, Deb knows Dexter has "issues." And you've gotta laugh at Deb's mouth. She's hilarious!

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I said it in the thread in the Ampitheatre. Me and my wife were absoulty pissed at that ending. I still don't even know if it has ruined the show for us or addicted us to it more. It is that puzzling to us.

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah there's a good thread in Amph. I'm not sure I feel like repeating myself in two threads :p But it's my favorite current drama (well, tied with Friday Night Lights). Absolutely incredible. And I loved the finale. Can't wait for next year.

Also, I met the creator at a thing at school and he's an interesting guy :p Very hyper.

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. Scummy

Scummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm really looking forward to Season 5, but I'm pissed at the show. For me season finales should bring closure, in movies cliffhangers can be okay, but in a season finale it just leaves me annoyed. I'm not sure how I feel about Rita's death.

Scummy

14. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Dammit, knew I shouldn't have tempted myself by reading this thread.

Don't have Showtime, so I'll have to wait for Season 4 on DVD...seen Seasons 1-3, fantastic stuff. I've read all 4 books and really enjoyed those too (not so much book 3).

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't want to read book 3 because I know what happens and I think it's ridiculous. And so then I'm not sure book 4 would be worth it either. I find the show superior to the books.

I thought Rita's death was the first time Dexter's had a real consequence for his actions, and that it'll be a fantastic development for the show. Can't wait for next season.

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    [face_worried]

17. Darth Mulacki

Darth Mulacki Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 4, 1999
    I think that the ending of season 4 is gonna have some major consequences for Dex. He was starting to turn in to something of a rational human, but this is gonna send him right back to where he was in the beginning of season 1.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It definitely could I wouldn't be surprised to see Rita now show up as the other side of his conscience like Harry. And I really think that would contribute to a whole theme of this being a breaking point/moment of decision for Dexter. He could definitely completely lose it.

I also think Deb is going to find out next year. She already found out so much this season, and now I would think she'll move in with Dexter because that's what she did after the whole Brian thing. I think this might wind up being an extremely interesting season.

In other news, Clyde Phillips announced he won't be returning as the showrunner next year. Which is kind of too bad, but not all that surprising. This is the rare show that's had a different person running it every single season. I think it's at a point where perhaps Showtime likes it that way and thinks fresh blood keeps each season different.

BTW, the season finale got Showtime's highest rating ever, I think it was. I keep going back and forth on whether the next season will be the last (the creator planned for 5 season and that's what it's renewed for right now), or whether Showtime will decide to keep it around longer. I also can't decide which of those options I want. It kind of depends on where they go with Season 5, because it's quite possible if Dexter totally snaps, Deb might *have* to turn him in.

-sj loves kevin spacey

19. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
  20. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I still want to be Dexter. :(

21. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    Well before you do that...I don't kill people.

22. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Now I feel bad for Julie Benz. At least she'll get major exposure for this.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah but I think it's possible she'll still be in the show as Dexter's other conscience.

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I was thinking the same thing regarding Rita becoming his conscious. I can see some really good debates between her and his dad over what he should do.

25. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    You could easily skip the 3rd book and read the 4th without any problem...it's like the author wanted to try something new, failed, got raked over the coals for it, and went back to what works for his storyline. It's not as good as the first two books, but it's a quick and enjoyable read.