main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Showtime] Your favorite serial killer, Dexter!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBobbalot, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    That would bring it more in line with the books. Of course, in the books, Doakes is alive, Brian is alive, and Astor and Cody are budding young killers. ;)

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Yeah but Deb almost found out last season, (remember, it was the anti-climactic, fake twist in the final episode so you wouldn't expect the REAL twist right at the very end of the episode), and I feel like that wasn't the first time so I'm beginning to feel like Deb finding out has been used as a tease so many times it's no longer even interesting. :p

3. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Which would mean she would have to find out this season, or not at all maybe.

I'm hoping it'll happen just for the outcome.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Deb finding out would be series-breaking, I think. She's too moral to keep that sort of secret.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hmm I don't know about that. I think it might lead to the end of the series, but I think it would at least be a dilemma for her. She's gotten to the point where she's so utterly dependent on Dexter that I'm not sure what would happen.

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Yeah it would be such an earth shattering discovery for her, that the writers would be foolish not to explore that for at least a little while.

7. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    nah shed just rat him out

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    She said earlier on in the show that if she ever found out Dexter was a serial killer, she'd shoot him in the head. However, I think Deb has changed a lot over the course of the series. I think that if she found out, it would not be an automatic decision. I think it might be something where she has this huge thing to struggle with. Ultimately, I think Dexter might *want* her to turn him in rather than be so torn. But I don't know. I just think it would be really, really interesting and something to do before the end of the show. Possibly something that leads to the end of the show, one way or another.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    She'd be ****ed up, for sure, but she'd do the "right thing" pretty quickly (see: confessing when she cheated on Anton with Lundy).

10. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Sooooo, guys.... I'm surprised there's no discussion already!

Wow. Dexter just murdered an innocent in cold blood. Harry: "That's the first human thing I've seen you do since Rita died."

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I remember reading a theory that "Harry" is a personification of the Dark Passenger-- i.e., Dexter's sociopathy and homicidal urges. I'm not sure if that's strictly true, but it is a bit suspicious that "Harry" reappeared when Dexter killed someone and his urges came back.

Also, Quinn. "VULNERABLE WOMAN SEX SEX SEX SEX SCOOORRRE!"

12. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Are we using HTR in this thread?

I can never get the spoiler rules straight... :p

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm of the opinion that once an episode airs (on the east coast), it's fair game. It'd be silly of someone to come into this thread and not expect "spoilers."

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well "Harry" since season 3 has clearly been a part of Dexter's own mind. I mean otherwise he'd be like... an angel or something :p I think it's not necessarily his sociopathy so much as just the part of Dexter that is the totally controlled, careful, under the code killer. It's the part of Dexter that just knows precisely what Harry would say in any situation. I like that they held off on him appearing until that moment, though. I think it's basically to show that Dexter without a guide can be *scary* out of control.

Truly, we've never seen Dexter in his raw form before this. And it was, as expected, terrifying. I found this episode both touching and chilling.

And Dexter is so screwed.

Great season opener. Gah, I don't want to wait :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, I guess we know who Julia Stiles plays now.

16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Watched the pilot, and was very impressed. I'm gonna start watching this.

Starting the second episode now.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Holy crap, what an entrance. I have to give major kudos to the writers. This was not something I saw coming, but is a *brilliantly* original direction to take the season. Gaaaah why do they have to do this when they know we have to wait a whole week!

I've been rewatching the series as well because I'm writing a spec script for my TV drama class this semester. This is literally my homework. Best class ever :p I hadn't seen season 1 in a while and am now in the middle of season 2.

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Anyone else expect her to be the Nanny?

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Either that or the counselor.

20. Black-Pearl

Black-Pearl Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2007
    Just so you guys know there is a thread for this in the Amphitheater.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    There is a thread in Amph that I checked, which has one post this season. I love amph, but if this is where people are posting then I will post here.

I feel intentionally faked out about Stiles' role because of both the nanny and crisis counselor thing in this episode. By the end, I had almost forgotten she was supposed to be in this episode. DAMN YOU CLEVER WRITERS! :p

How many episodes before Quinn finds out for sure that Dexter is Kyle Butler? I say next episode. I think they could find ways to drag it out, but that would annoy me just slightly.

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. Chronological_Order

Chronological_Order Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2007
    Yeah, the article i read on her being in this season and her role in the show told me she was gonna be the nanny. :p

23. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Yeah, when I read the program info (which mentioned a nanny) before watching it, I thought for sure Julia Stiles was going to be the nanny. Then I thought for sure, the counselor. Then I just forgot about her. :p

When the nanny first appeared, did anyone else briefly say, "Holy crap, it's President Roslin!"

It's not, of course, but... woulda been cool. :p She could've looked at Dexter and been like, "Are you a Cylon? There's something... off... about you. I know it, I can feeeeel it."

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    OMG, I read a theory that Boyd was part of a cult centered around that motivational speaker he was listening to. Looks like that may be in fact what's going on.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, when you mentioned it last week, Evan, I thought it seemed possible. So yep... now a whole group for Dexter to try to take down. Interesting. It seems he'll be okay with letting Lumen go eventually, but I'm sure it won't/can't be that simple.

And is Jonah going to tell the FBI about Dexter? I think he'd try to protect him some for a while, but I don't think you plant that without paying it off eventually. And I love how Quinn clearly already knows what Deb's reaction is going to be once she finds out. What scum, but he knows he's scum.

-sj loves kevin spacey