main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Showtime] Your favorite serial killer, Dexter!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBobbalot, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Good episode. I'm wondering if this season may spill into the next.

Dexter seems to be headed for a fall and doesn't even know it.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Obviously the emotional ties to the events of the past seasons have bled into the season that follows, but the writers are really good about wrapping up a story arc. Look at the previous protagonists: The Ice Truck Killer (Season 1), Sgt. Doakes / Lila Tournay (Season 2), Miguel Prado (Season 3), and Trinity Killer (Season 4).

I'm expecting the same with Season 5 and really enjoying the ride.

3. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    I'm just finding it difficult to imagine how he's going to cope and solve this dilemma. It's all good so far.

4. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I haven't rewatched this scene from the last episode to verify... but didn't Cole literally shatter the door to the kill room when he barged in to attack Lumen? How the heck did they execute the kill with a gaping hole at the entrance to their hotel room?

5. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Dexter rented the room next to his victims room. And he broke through the side door that connected them it seems. :)

Have to say, I thought the same thing at first. It's the security breach spoken about towards the end of the episode.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I actually do think this season is going to spill over into the next season in some ways. It's possible they'll wind things up, definitely killing Chase. But I think Lumen may wind up staying on. Not sure yet.

I definitely loved the whole business with Dexter trying to contain his excitement that Deb didn't feel sorry for killing that Fuentes brother. Fantastic scene. It definitely made me think that the whole Lumen plotline is just a setup for Deb finding out, possibly next season.

As to the door... the one that broke was the one between the rooms, not the one to the hallway. Still, it's a good point that a shattered door like that might be slightly difficult to explain to housekeeping :p Especially once security knew Cole was missing, if the cops eventually searched his room they'd obviously find that. And they'd be able to tell Dexter was staying next door. I doubt this comes up again, though. Seems like a plot hole that happened for the sake of a dramatic scene (I admit to shouting "the other door! there's another door, Lumen!" :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Nooooo Scott Grimes why did you do it.

8. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Exactly my thoughts! I totally thought that when we saw him playing Tilden, he'd have some sort of big role.

But this was almost kind of... throwaway...

9. Scummy

Scummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    How does everyone feel about Lumen? I like her, but am not sure if I want her to stay past this season. I'm worried we'll end up with an annoying sidekick type character.

Also, how do you think they are planning to get rid of Stan? I hope it's not another deux machina like Doake's death.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I'm wondering if that will be the season finale, setting up for season 6. Or 'hoping' might be the better word.

Scummy

10. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    MALARKEY!!!!!

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Lumen is going to turn herself in to Debra in order to save Dexter.

Not a spoiler, just a guess. I don't think that whole Deb-hunting-a-vigilante thing is going to get nowhere. And yes, Rachel, I think Lumen getting arrested for the killings is a lot more likely than Deb finding out what Dexter is. :p

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think Deb will find out eventually. I have no idea what they'll do with Lumen. She could conceivably stay on another season, although I echo the sentiment of slightly worrying about a permanent "sidekick" character. I think one way or another she'll wind up taking the fall.

Man my heart has been beating out of my chest many times this season, though. Like the whole last 15 minutes of this episode. That last scene was done really perfectly. Such a delicate situation to handle, both for Dex and for the show. Nicely done.

Once again, I can see so many angles but have no idea what will actually happen in this show. Or how the hell they are going to do this in 2 episodes :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. Scummy

Aug 4, 2008
    I thought she'd take the fall too, but for some reason I think it's less likely after the end of the last episode.

For me the more interesting loose string isn't Lumen, but Stan. I have absolutely no idea what is going to happen to him.

Scummy

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Sunday's episode was fantastic. Classic Dexter!

15. Scummy

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm not liking the chemistry of the Dexter/Lumen scenes now that they're finally together. I'm intrigued to see how they're going to rap this up in the next few episodes.

I really hope Deb actually finds out next episode. It's probably a red herring, but I hope it's not.

Scummy

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I saw the teaser for the next ep. It's an obvious red herring. Deb is not going to find out. I just wonder what's going to happen to Quinn. Liddy's blood didn't drip onto his shoe for no reason.

17. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Probably a red herring, but don't you kind of wish it weren't?

I wouldn't be too sure about the blood dripping on his shoe though. This episode and I'm betting the next seems to be trying to wrap every thing up.
    So much for passing to the next season like I thought.

EDIT: I'll take back that shoe comment somewhat. I've read a very nice theory. Fingers crossed.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I definitely think Quinn's going to see the blood on his shoe, realize something is up, go back to the van, and find Liddy.

No idea what will happen with Lumen, except I *highly* doubt she'll die. That would feel way too much a repeat of last year. As to Deb... tonight for the first time in the whole run of the show, I actually *don't* want her to find out. All that stuff about how could you trust someone again. Heartbreaking.

I really don't know what's going to happen though... so many possibilities for each plotline. I will say this, though -- I think someone will know by the end of the season next week. I don't know who it'll be (Deb or Quinn most likely), but someone's gonna know.

I predict this season, like last season, will not wrap up nicely. I think we're all going to be pulling our hair out for 9 months again.

-sj loves kevin spacey

19. Scummy

Aug 4, 2008
    I agree that Quinn will see the blood and go check out the van. I think Deb (or someone, but I hope Deb) will find out at the end which will set the premise for next season. Though the show likes to mix things up, so maybe it won't be that obvious.

I have no idea about Lumen, though I don't think she'll die. I hope she's not permanent though. All the scenes with her and Dexter flirting and spending time together just have an awkward chemistry in my opinion.

Scummy

20. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Julia Stiles always has awkward chemistry.

21. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    If Quinn finds out that Dexter was playing "vigilante," with Lumen--that still doesn't come close to figuring out that Dexter has killed 60+ criminals--not to mention how many different ways Quinn could mis-interpret motive based on what he knows. Given what's going on with Deb, he might not say anything because of her (he stole money, so he's not the most honest cop in the first place). He might not see Dexter as a serial killer, but as a lovestruck vigilante bent on vengeful acts in order to cope with the loss of his wife. It doesn't make it better, except that knowing Quinn, he might not be so hard on Dex given his own moral compass as he's demonstrated it thus far.

I miss Doakes. DOAKES!!!

Arrrghh, and I felt like with Rita, Dex was on the verge of discovering himself as something more than just a monster, maybe even giving up the killing someday...but with Lumen, it looks like it's only going to get worse. He's already killed or contributed to the deaths of several innocent people in addition to his usual killings. Still, I felt it when he was going on about how he could just be himself in front of Lumen...how liberating that was--a sigh of relief amidst so much tension/darkness.

22. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    Well...anyone think Lumen will be back? I don't know if they signed the actress for another season or not. Her leaving Dexter felt a little forced...and I definitely would have thrown plates too. Also, what happened to the Fuentes brother that got away? How the heck did Dex keep that big knife hidden? And why does Deb like Quinn (sort of an ongoing question really)!? I really liked the episode, but something about it felt a little off.

23. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Good compomise with last weeks question about Deb. I thought that was it.

Pity about Luman. I always liked the character, even if the rest of the 'net doesn't seem too.

Roll along Season Six.

24. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    I think she's great...which is why it was a little frustrating to see her forced out of Dexter's life at the end by the writers. Julia Stiles argued that in the end, she was rejecting Dexter as a person because she had healed and needed to move on (a place he couldn't go)...but it still felt artificial to me, and the actress struggled with the reasoning behind it too. I think it was a little contrived and I hope she comes back.

25. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I think it makes perfect sense. People will sink to their lowest in order to get revenge, but after revenge, they usually don't stay down there. Alternatively you could view it as what Jordan Chase said to them, about their feelings not being real, getting to her. One little last bit of ruining her life, FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE.