main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Showtime] Your favorite serial killer, Dexter!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBobbalot, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    I think this season has had some great moments--the episode with Brian...everything with Mos Def,

but I think my favourite moment was when Deb said something like "where in $#@%topia are you?" to Dexter

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I couldn't get through tonight's ep. After Travis's horribly awkward conversation with imaginary Gellar and Dexter watching with dull interest instead of trying to escape, I just sighed and decided to watch Boardwalk Empire instead.

:(

3. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm only at the end of season 5 (I have to wait for DVD releases), and I have to say, meh.
    It was going nicely, until his partner gave the boohoo goodbye speech. Really? You're over it all now? Yeah RIGHT. What that character went through is the sort of thing that scars for life. No way she just got over it.

On the other hand, there are the books.
    Book1 is similar to season 1, but with enough major differences to keep people guessing.
    Book2 is nice and nasty, and I'd love to see adapted for a season. Some elements of it were hinted at in seasons 2-5.
    Book3 is OMG awful beyond belief.
    Book4 was better in that it mostly ignored book 3, but Dexter is so far from being the intelligent planner that it is unbelievable. Maybe the baby is keeping him from sleep? He makes such blatant mistakes that it is hard to believe this is the same character.
    Book5... I like books. I value and respect books. Books are a symbol of civilization. If I don't like a book, I sell it on ebay, amazon, or give it to someone who might like them. Books 1-4 went to a kid at the community college who hadn't read them. I threw book 5 in the recycle bin.

4. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Bah, it got better after that. But the preview for the upcoming eps looked especially good.

I actually didn't look away at all during this episode, with the exception of some brief Quinn scenes.

5. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Oh yeah, and random Avett Brothers plug ftw.

6. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Nexts weeks episode looks good.

But Deb needs a new therapist. [face_sick]

7. Scummy

Scummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm really enjoying this season. That said aren't all 911 calls recorded? Because it seems kind of weird that Dexter's anonymous tip is never referenced again. The caller knew there was poison gas on the boat, he knew the doomsday killer was involved, and the police found a stabbed body on board. I'd think the call would get at least a little attention. And Dexter had better hope that the police don't catch Travis, considering the 'I am coming for you!' video message he left on Travis's phone among other things like the gigantic painting of the Beast with Dexter's face.

Also, is anyone else seriously creeped out by the Dexter/Deb sexual undertones? I hope they do something good with it, because it seems completely unnecessary right now.

Scummy

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I came here looking to see what people thought of the finale, but no one has posted about it yet.

My thoughts:
    Overall, this season was pretty predictable, and I'm sad that I read online someone's theory about the Professor being dead because if I didn't read that I MIGHT have been surprised.

That aside, it's a shame how sloppy Dexter was this entire season compared to others. I suppose it all made sense for him to choose the church as his kill room for Travis, allowing Debra to walk right in and catch him in the act. I guess the writers finally thought it was time for Debra to find out which I guess is good because I couldn't see them pulling off a brother/sister love relationship.

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Worst. Therapist. Ever. I mean, it doesn't take a PhD to realize that having a romantic relationship with someone you have always thought of as a sibling isn't a great idea, biological relation or not. It was also pretty contrived. While I could buy that Deb would have messed up (and they ARE messed up, you stupid ****ing therapist) feelings for Dexter, there wasn't really any indication of that in previous seasons besides misinterpreting the brother/sister relationship... and the HUGE "unavailable men" leap, I guess.

The ONLY good part of the finale was Deb finding out, because they absolutely, absolutely cannot hit the reset button on that without just digging themselves deeper into the hole of ****. That said, I don't trust this showrunner to do much right with the last two seasons.

10. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    Are there two more seasons?

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    That's what I recall Hall's contract extension being. $34 million or something.

Also, I meant to type "inappropriate men" rather than "unavailable men," which makes the therapist's encouragement of Debra all the more insane.

12. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Yep, and Hall get 24m for the next two years I believe.

And as for tonights last shot - YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YA

13. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    My thought's on Debra's feelings for Dexter are that the writers got pissed off about Jennifer Carpenter and Michael C Hall getting divorced, and were like "Now its going to be all awkward on set...SO WE'LL MAKE IT SUPER AWKWARD FOR THEM"

14. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    genius :(

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    lol

16. sith_hunter117

sith_hunter117 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2008
    I really really really think this season had a lot of potential if it weren't as sloppy. The whole Dexter/Deb thing is kind of unnecessary, and I'm not sure what they can really do next season to not make it terrible. The only thing that has me slightly interested is this intern (and the other) that's obsessed with the Ice Truck Killer. And I really did enjoy the Brian episode, I kind of wish he would've stayed for a couple of episodes.

17. Scummy

Scummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I agree that this season was good but a few things like the Deb/Dex thing just feel out of place. Loved the finale though. Looking forward to next season. I just hope they dump the creepy Deb/Dex thing quick.

Scummy

18. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    I guess they really needed to make it hard for Deb to turn in her brother.

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Agree. The only other way to do it that would be something like making them grow up together or something, and have them consider each other siblings. Then emotionally, it would be like turning in her own family.

Oh, wait. [face_plain]

20. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Sure, but they just really wanted to re-enforce the dilemma of her choice.

Anyway.

http://www.tvshark.com/read/?art=arc8254

21. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I was thinking either this, with further possibility of them having a convenient way of getting rid of Deb slash driving Carpenter away.

22. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I remember when Nip/Tuck introduced (biological) brother/sister romance in a season finale, the plot was dropped with a throwaway line the first episode of the next season.

If the guy who created Glee could realize the error of his ways, can't this show's showrunner?

23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    His name is Scott Buck, and according to recent interviews, no. No, he can't.

Like I said, my main problem isn't "Ew, incest." It's "Ew, this came out of nowhere for the convenience of the sloppy writers." Because apparently sisterly love isn't enough to keep her from ratting him out?

24. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    http://www.tvshark.com/read/?art=arc8347

Does this help anyone? I'm guessing it will be dropped.

EDIT: Ipad spelling. Tch!

25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    ARISE!

Spoilers...

I'm liking the new season so far. Even still, Debra's first two episodes of response to finally finding out Dexter is a serial killer seemed a bit unbelievable to me. Then came the fantastic ending of the second episode and I was pleasantly surprised. The latest episode was very good, especially the various conversations between Debra and Dexter. "Because an alarm bell is going off in my lizard brain."

And lately since seeing an image of a funny lightning-shaped mark on Michael C. Hall's head, I've been pondering the similarities between Dexter and Harry Potter...