main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Showtime] Your favorite serial killer, Dexter!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBobbalot, Aug 13, 2008.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    This season has been a huge, huge surprise to me (and I'm guessing most people). It's actually been really good, and that season opener was the best episode in a couple years. They've managed to make this season a lot less outrageous, more grounded so far while still having fun in places as this show does (darkly). So now I'm just hoping they don't screw it up...

I also really like that the 'big bad' isn't a traditional serial killer but instead a mobster. Still a high body count, but it doesn't stretch the credibility of 'Miami has more serial killers than any other city ever'. I'm really, really interested to see where they go with this, though, given that the guy already knows that Dexter killed one of his men. Though I'm guessing he himself wanted the guy dead, so who knows.

I just pray that the incest thing never ever returns. Right now it's not an issue because Deb is so freaked out by Dexter in general (and I really like that we saw the payoff of years of her coming around to the idea of 'justified killing', but only to still ultimately want no part in it personally). I just really, really don't want to ever hear another word of that. Unless it's Deb telling that shrink that she's the worst therapist of all time for telling her patient how she thinks she feels, planting ideas rather than actually just letting Deb express her non-creepy love of Dexter as her brother. Seriously just... no.

Anyway, I think this episode was pretty good although I thought they were super dumb for not cuffing the minotaur killer when he was knocked to the ground. But thematically that sequence served a good purpose. Now I'm mostly really interested to see where they go with LaGuerta's investigation into Travis' death.

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I am glad, too, that the incest thing hasn't been returned to yet. I hope it never does come back to the show. Hopefully, the writers got the hint after last season that viewers don't want to have anything to do with it. Incest, of course, works good for some stories (GoT, looking at you), but not this one!

That minotaur killer was effing creepy. I kept on shouting at that woman to get the hell outta there. I'd say it's totally incredible, but then I have to remind myself there really are people that stupid. Some people need a bit of Dexter's lizard brain.

And Pullo is awesome. I didn't know he was the big guest star this season.

3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    The scene between Dex and Pullo was pure gold. I'm really enjoying this season so far. Good riddance to you, Louis! They could have doen more with him, but I'll take that death. Now if only they could kill off Quinn...

I've been watching Death Note recently, and it's fun to compare Kira and Dexter. I'd definitely take Dexter over Kira.

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Dude I really wish they would kill off Quinn. He also has this goldmine of information in that he knows Dexter killed someone, and lied about it already one time... but they never did anything with it. The two hardly ever interact. Quinn will only be somewhat worthwhile if they actually use that this season.

And yeah Cor, I only realized Ray Stevenson was the big guest star this season when I was out in Long Beach a couple months ago and saw them filming and he was there. I was like "hey, he looks familiar... oh yeah, it's Pullo! Awesome! :D"

5. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I'll add myself to the "wow this is a surprisingly good season so far" crowd.

One nitpick: One of Dexter's justifications to Debra was that he only kills those who evade the system... only we've seen Dexter deliberately withholding evidence and sabotaging police investigations countless times over the past few seasons. If we were supposed to believe that Dexter was being sincere in that scene... lol, ok.

6. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, so far, the writers seem to have their **** together this season, so maybe we'll see a renaissance of Quinn or something. Or they'll just kill him off. :p

So, let's take bets on how long it'll be before Even comes in and says he "just started" to watch the new season. :p

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I decided to watch the premiere the same night 'cause I was surprised by the reviews it was getting. Goddammit.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Haha, I totally texted him right after I watched it and told him he at least had to watch the first one and see if it piqued his interest as much as it did mine. Muahaha!

Well we were shown that Dexter was deliberately sugar-coating things and trying to put them in a way that would convince Deb. He conveniently also didn't mention that he's killed innocent people. He definitely was telling her what she wanted to hear, even though even she doesn't seem to buy the "I do this for the public good" reasoning. So yeah, I think it's fair to assume we're supposed to see through Dexter's generous portion of B* there.

9. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    So I think Hannah is a serial killer. I also think Dexter and Hannah will end up being perfect for each other. That's just my first-impression prediction.

10. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Possibly a reformed one, which could help Dexter with his issues.

Also, she's pretty damn attractive.

11. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I think she's a secret agent.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    She works for Cerberus.

solojones likes this.
  13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I really don't think she was involved in the previous killings. I think it would be kind of a boring twist and a repeat of Lumen if that happened. I think she's more of an analogue to Deb in that she never forgave the killer she was with and wound up thinking he was a monster.

I did think Dexter's reaction to her was interesting though. Dunno if he was thinking of Rita or Lumen or some combo. But it was uncharacteristically flustered that's for sure.

14. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Oh, no, I don't think she was involved in Randall's killings, either. I think she started killing on her own, though. Mainly, more than anything, what gives me the hint about her is that frikkin greenhouse.

15. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Crap, this episode was good.

At first, Deb was having her dream and then Dexter showed up, "Will you be mine?" and I was all, "Not this **** again," but obviously, it's more about Dexter luring Deb to the Dark Side, not to nasty adopted sibling sex. :p

edit: btw, did I just get the wrong impression from Ray Stevenson's final scene of the episode, or were he and Baskov in love? Or were they just brothers/friends?

I loved when Dexter was all [​IMG] before killing Speltzer.

16. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I got the impression that Baskov was his son/protege. And that last Dex/Speltzer scene was glorious. And it's also an excellent reason for Dex to make sure that Deb never witnesses his full ritual.

This whole season has been shockingly good.

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Reminded me of the pilot episode when he acted much more openly crazy when he was about to kill his victims.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Nah they were lovers. Why else would he have the picture of them together hidden? It also explains why his cronies rightfully feel the guy was a screw up and they shouldn't care that he's dead.

Of course, it also implies Viktor was cheating on him with Kasha. Unless he killed her instead because she found out about them.

I also got a little worried at times that the incest thing was coming back. And then it made me more angry at them for last season because it tainted some otherwise good scenes like that last one because part of me was just worried something was going to happen. I will probably enjoy this season a lot more on a second watch if they do get through without renewing that because I will be able to relax more. Ugh season 6 why.

I had just been saying last week that I wondered when Deb was going to start wondering about Rita. I'm glad they had her be so blunt about it. Why sugar coat it? It was his fault. He already knows that.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I have to say, I really liked this week's episode. Dexter realizing that he is ultimately the one responsible for his actions is huge (though I'd have to say a lot of it's still Harry's fault, at least when Dexter was still young, because this is what he steered him towards). But Maria and Tom basically realizing Dexter's the Bay Harbor Butcher? Wow. I am dying to see that confrontation. Part of me feels like Tom might actually try to cover for him, out of loyalty to Harry. But Maria definitely won't let it go.

Now more than ever I think this season's going to end with Dexter hitting the road.

20. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    This episode made me feel better about "Helter Skelter," even if I also feel a bit displaced with all the rules changing. A redditor found the perfect way to sum up how I feel- it's Jerry Seinfeld in his apartment saying, "the whole system is breaking down!"

21. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    See, I'm wondering about Tom. He keeps trying to redirect her away from Dexter. It's not unfeasible that he might somehow know the truth. He might even be trying to get her onto Dex's radar so that Dex will kill her out of self-preservation. Matthews certainly has motive to want her dead.

If Dex doesn't kill her, Deb will. I really, really like the way this season has turned out, even though I really, really miss Isaac Sirko.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I've been wondering if Tom knows or suspects the truth as well. He's evidently known about Brian all along (which makes sense). I don't know if he'd go so far as to get Maria killed, though. He's an ass and a scumbag, but murder is something different. Also, I don't think Dexter would kill LaGuerta. Not sure about Deb... she could turn unstable enough. But I doubt it. I think LaGuerta will be searching for him next season.

I also miss Isaak but give them props for actually surprising me with his death.

23. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I didn't want him dead yet at all, even as a surprise. :(

24. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
  25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    LaGuerta is on borrowed time. Since Dexter has killed Hannah's father, who didn't fit his code, he will have no reservations in killing her, which will be awesome.