main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shrek Series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Moleman1138, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    [image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00003CXXJ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

[image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JMQZ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

AND SHREK THE THIRD

Shrek 1:
    When I saw the trailer for the original Shrek, I didn't expect a big blockbuster. It unlike the second didn't sell out and focused more on the fantasy and fairy tales. Shrek 1 pretty much has the beauty in the eye of the beholder. This movie is also one of adventure. The standard rescue the damsel with a twist.

Shrek 2:
    This is definitely a more Hollywood-esque film. When I first saw it, I felt a different taste in my mouth than Shrek. You have the introduction of five new characters, who are somewhat okay. I like Charming and Puss in Boots. Fairy Godmother is a mere shadow of Farrquad. Fiona's parents aren't that great either, but still get the job done in this movie. What really turned me away was Shrek losing his ogre self and Donkey becoming a stalilion. You can say that this movie is more about acceptance and was definitely a good babysitting tool in 04.

Shrek the Third:
    First of all, bad title. But it does fit the plotline with King Arthur. What we had from Shrek 2 will dominate this movie. I'm sure we return to Far, Far Away and we've heard rumors that Justin Timberlake is playing Arthur. That was definitely hinted in Shrek 2 with the Sir Justin poster on the wall. I really don't have huge hopes for it. Somebody else may think it otherwise.

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Title & Plot for the Third Shrek

DreamWorks Animation has given the third "Shrek" installment a title - Shrek the Third. The anticipated animated-comedy hits theaters on May 18, 2007.

Shrek the Third finds Shrek and Fiona reluctantly reigning over Far, Far Away. But if they can find the heir to the throne and bring him back, they can return to their swamp. While Shrek, Donkey and Puss in Boots are in search of the heir, Fiona holds off a coup d'etat by Prince Charming.

The film is voiced by Mike Myers, Cameron Diaz, Eddie Murphy, Antonio Banderas and Justin Timberlake.

3. durden21

durden21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    King Arthur eh.

I hadn't heard that but then again I hadn't really kept up on my Shrek spoilers. :p

I'll see it for the same reason I'll see X3. I've seen the others so why not round it out. Can't really say I have any stellar hopes for it but the other two were enjoyable enough. I'm sure three we be enjoyable.

4. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    Shrek: Very good, although I don't think it holds up as well as the Pixar movies.

Shrek 2: It had its moments (the catnip scene was hilarious), but it did not deserve to make as much money as it did.

Shrek The Third: I don't have very high hopes for this one, especially after reading the plot synopsis. I'll still probably see it, though.

5. durden21

Apr 9, 2001
    The best use I've found for Shrek 2 is as a sleep aid. I was watching it on cable and it would always put me asleep so I bought the DVD.

Works like a charm.

6. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    The one thing I do like about Shrek 2 is the opening "Accidentally in Love" montage. But you can see that in the film that they are favoring parodying movies like Spider-Man and LOTR over children's fairy tales.

Farquaad was a great villain for the first one. Fairy godmother just seemed a little off. Charming is supposed to step up in the next movie. I actually like Charming. He has that mama's boy attitude with a hint of narcissism. No pun intended. He may be what in his twenties, but he acts so much like a kid.

I want a medieval meal :p

7. durden21

Apr 9, 2001
    Well it was always more about parodying movies then just fairy tales in general. The whole "trilogy" has been just one big jab at Disney.

Ironic that Disney's next big picture is similar to the Shrek series. Not to mention their revival of traditional animation. Can't wait for that one.

8. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    Which upcoming Disney movie are you referring to?

9. durden21

Apr 9, 2001
    Enchanted.

I was going to edit it in since I couldn't remember it off the top of my head and had to look it up but since you already called me on it...

10. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    they should have stopped after the first one - it was great, but the second was a disappointment (with the exception of the starbucks gag)

11. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I laughed when the Gingerbread Man said Pinochio is wearing a thong and he continues to say he isn't. And don't forget Knights, the parody of Cops. Another great moment from Shrek 2.

12. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    I watch Shrek and Shrek 2 for the gags, its part of the charm. I thought they were great.

13. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Please let this be an April Fools Joke.

Not only do they want to do a Puss in Boots movie but Shrek 4 with Puss' bad boy brother also voiced by Banderas.

[face_praying] NO.

14. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Sherk was terrific because it spat out the animation cliches right in Disney's face.

Sherk 2 had it`s momments but overall it was disapointing.

I don`t have any hope for Sherk the Third,especially with these Justin Timberlake rumors...

BTW what`s up with Mike Myers all ways doing the scotish accent,it`s getting annoying

15. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Whats so wrong with that :confused:

Let them make sequels and spin offs if people watch them and get enjoyment out of them they served their purpose if no one watches them they'll stop making them and no one will be the worse for wear. It isn't really any kind of classic that will forever be tarnished by a spin off and sequel.

16. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I heard about the Puss n' Boots spinoff a long time ago. Are they actually going forward with it?

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I guess so. I thought it'd be a direct to video film, but they may try for a 2008 release. Anyways what was making me frustrated was Shrek 4. I know you can't judge it already without seeing Shrek the Third. Just the idea of Puss' brother being a bad boy just makes me cringe. That's all.

18. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Eh, evil twin brother is just as good a concept as farm boy who saves the universe and look at how that turned out.

19. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    The first Shrek was a good movie, I wasn't keen on the second, and if what has been said above about the third movie is true, I am not looking forward to it. Why?

In the first movie, it was ok that Shrek and Donkey went on an adventure, in the second movie they almost did the same thing, it wasn't as original as the first, so if yet again they go for a walk through the forest, it will be very disappointing.

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Its a cartoon buddy movie. That would be like saying "if they make another Lethal Weapon with Riggs and Murtaugh its all over".

21. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Agreed

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I think i'm the only person who doesn't like any of the Shrek films.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    First movie was good and a better villian with Farquad, but the second film was just plain funnier and crazier- much better movie. And to top it all off, they use that "Hero" song from Short Circuit 2. Sold. ;)

24. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Hah, yes, "Holding Out For a Hero" is a big guilty pleasure of mine. I enjoyed the new cover that was featured in the movie.

25. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    eh gads... Justin T? Thats a shocker! Well, I guess there is gonna be more singing...

As for the accent - its his signature... like Dana Carvey with GB, Sr. He does it well enough he always uses it...

I think I will see it........ at the dollar theater

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.