main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shrouded by Darkness (JA - Obi-torture, Qui-angst, mystery)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Firedrake88, Sep 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firedrake88

Firedrake88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2001
    Hi! Since I'm probably not gonna be able to post for the next few days I decided to give you a longer one this time, so I hope you enjoy!

Master Jinn,? I could tell by the tone of her voice she wanted to ask me something, ?Forgive my curiosity, but?can you feel Obi-Wan though your bond??

?No, I cannot,? I confessed, ?he shut himself off from me during his attack. That's why I didn't find him until?he was already unconscious.? I quickly buried the images of my Padawan, kneeling lifelessly in the garden, and focused my attention on Alida.

?I feared as much,? she said cryptically.

I frowned, ?Excuse me??

?Master Jinn,? her voice was heavy with exhaustion, ?what just happened to your Padawan was not him going into shock because of having spent so much time in the bacta tank.?

All thoughts of fatigue fled my mind at this and I met her gaze with my own demanding one, ?What do you mean??

?Obi-Wan would have gone into shock hours ago. The danger of that faded long ago. This was something else. I do not know if you studied this as a Padawan but sometimes a distressed mind can inflict damage upon its body. If Obi-Wan was concerned enough, uncertain enough, scared enough, he could have done this to himself. Despite the fact that he is unconscious, that doesn't mean that his mind isn't active on a subconscious level. The amount of stress he is feeling, for whatever reason, may have cause his body to go into shock. Other such cases have been recorded. Sometimes a patient that is in a coma will experience such violent tremors as your Padawan did, but when medically examined no physical cause can be found. It is most likely that your Padawan will not even remember being so distressed that he transferred his emotional turmoil to his physical body; the thoughts and reaction were probably completely subconscious.?

?How do you know that that's what happened?? Could my Padawan truly be that troubled? Force, how could I not have seen this in him? How could he have hidden this terrible fear from me?

?Well, the drug we injected into his system, Merasene, is usually used to calm the mind of the patient. It has no physical affects on the person, but changes his mentality for as long as it is in the person's system. Let's just say that it makes the person's problems fade from thought slightly by hazing his ability to think about them clearly. Obi-Wan will be all right for now. If he doesn't wake up soon I'll have to inject more of the drug into his system, just to make sure this doesn't happen again.?

?You mean that Obi-Wan stabilized because you prevented his subconscious mind from worrying about his problems?? I asked.

?Essentially, yes.?

I returned my gaze to Obi-Wan's pale form. His own fear and anxiety had caused this. Who had attacked my Padawan that he was so afraid and traumatized that this had happened? Force, just what had this person done to my Padawan?

?Qui-Gon?? Tahl's rested and relieved voice reached me from outside my haze of guilt-ridden thoughts.

?Hmm?? was my only response as I continued to stare at Obi-Wan's small face.

?Qui-Gon, what's wrong? I heard the news, Alida told me. Obi-Wan's going to be all right.?

I scoffed, ?Yes, he's going to be all right, no thanks to me.?

?Qui-Gon??

?Do you know my last words to him were?? I asked and continued before she could answer, ?I told him that a third year initiate could have performed better than he had. At breakfast I *knew* something was wrong but I didn't press him, I didn't sit down with him and convince him to tell me what was wrong. I was so hard on him just because he couldn't find his center. Now I know why he couldn't find his center. He knew that prisoner 19347-21192 escaped and he was scared. He was scared and I didn't even realize. Instead I told him his performance was disappointing. I left him there, Tahl. If I had walked back with him, like I usually do, then he wouldn't have been alone and none of this would have happened.?

?Qui-Gon,? Tahl began but again I inte

2. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Go Tahl! Whoo-hoo! Knock some sense into Qui!

That was an excellent post! :D

::Ashley starts pleading with Obi to wake up::

Come on Obi, we miss ya!!!

3. Jade_Skywalker

Jade_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    I my GOSH this is good. I am so anxious to find out who the heck did this to Obi!!! Great post. Hope to see more soon. :) (hint, hint)

4. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    Obi's gonna wake up soon right? RIGHT?!?!

5. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Please, post more!!!!

6. TrianaJinn

TrianaJinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2001
    Terrific story, Firedrake! Please let Obi-Wan wake up soon. :)

7. KenobisGirl

Jul 10, 2001
    Up! Come on Obi, pleeeeease wake up!!!! We miss you!!!!

More soon please! :D

8. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    plllllleeeeeeeeaaaaassssseeeee post soon! :(

9. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Okay, first of all, no this is not a post. Sorry, but my story isn't on this computer :( Before you all ignore this post I have a question so PLEASE read. Thanks! :) This is the first longer SW story that I have written. I have several shorter SW stories, some of which I do not post here because they are so short that they get lost among all the other stories and no one reads them. A friend of mine suggested that instead of posting this short stories in seperate threads that I post them all in one longer thread. I was wondering if you'd like me to do that. My short stories include, "Nowhere Else to Go", "Thank You", "Returning Home, "The Dove", "Forming a Friendship" and more. So, if you guys want to read those I'll start another thread and put them all in there. I'd probably call it "Short Stories" and continued to add to it as I write more FICs. What do you think??? Please answer 'cause if no one does I'm just gonna assume you dont' want to read them. :( Thanks for reading this!

10. KenobisGirl

Jul 10, 2001
    Do you even have to ask? Of course I'll read them! By all means, post away!! :D

11. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    I say go for it. Sounds cool. Short stories are just as fun because you don't have to keep waiting for them to keep posting. Not that long ones are bad. Short ones though are cute and sweet, most of the time.

Anyway, my vote is post them. The more the merrier.

~Swede :)

12. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    Hey sounds great! :) When would you start posting them?

13. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    yes pleasee do that there isn't a story you write that i don't like :D

14. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Hi everyone! Thanks so much for answering my question! :) :) I'll be starting the new thread probably tomorrow and I will post the link here so that you don't have to go searching for it. The first story that I'm going to post is called "Returning Home" and it's the ONLY SW story I've written that's NOT in POV.

Anyway, here's the next part so enjoy!

After a great deal of arguing, Tahl finally persuaded me to come out into the waiting room and have something to eat. It wasn't until she asked that I realized I hadn't eaten since lunchtime the day before. Tahl was also eating, since she didn't want to leave me alone, but we hadn't spoken a word.

"Master Jinn!" Alida called me excitedly, rushing into the waiting room.

I set my trey of food on the chair next to mine and stood up, "What is it?" I asked.

"Obi-Wan's awake," she said, smiling broadly.

I rushed back down the hallway and into Obi-Wan's room, leaving my food and friend forgotten behind me. Hardly able to contain my joy and curiosity I hurried to my Padawan's side.

At the sight of Obi-Wan's bright blue-green eyes taking in his surroundings my guilt and worry were momentarily forgotten in an engulfing wave of joy. "Obi-Wan," I said, sitting down on the chair next to his bed. "How do you feel, my Padawan?" I asked, smiling reassuringly at him.

My Padawan looked weak and weary. His eyes were heavy and I could tell he had to struggle just to keep them open. He was tired, but didn't seem to be in any pain. There was something else in the boy, something more than physical tiredness. He was emotionally strained as well. Fear and uncertainty were weighing his mind down just as his recovering wounds weighed his body down.

Obi-Wan didn't answer. Instead he lowered his head and kept his eyes focused on his hands. I didn't need our bond to feel his dread and anxiety.

I frowned, "Obi-Wan? What's wrong, child?"

My joy turned to unease when my Padawan still refused to answer my gentle questions. My stomach tightened and my heartbeat increased slightly when I felt the boy's anxiety turn to something close to panic.

The boy was still afraid that the man would come back and hurt him. Seeking to reassure the teen I reached out and took his small hand in mine. "It's all right, Padawan, you're safe here. I promise. I know I wasn't there to protect you before but I am here now and I will not leave your side until I know that the man who did this to you is behind bars again."

Far from calming my apprentice down, my words seem to heighten his panic for a look of horror crossed his face and he pulled his hand free from my grasp. "Obi-Wan?" I questioned gently, "What is wrong? You can tell me. Are you afraid that he'll come back for you?"

Instead of answering, Obi-Wan turned his head to look at the other side of the bed, avoiding my gaze completely. His distress was hitting me in harsh waves and I longed to soothe his fears.

"Obi-Wan," I began again, "if you tell me who did this to you than I can find him and send him back to prison, where he belongs. I promise that I won't let him hurt you again." I gently took the boy's chin in my hand and tried to turn his head towards me but he refused to move and I didn't want to hurt him. "If you think he'll become even more upset if you tell me and want to hurt you even more, don't be afraid, I won't leave your side until he's in custody."

He didn't answer or move to look at me. His distress seemed to be growing with each passing second I looked down at his small hands. They were trembling. He was so scared.

"Padawan, look at me," I spoke with a hint of steel in my voice, knowing that he wouldn't disobey me.

Slowly, reluctantly, Obi-Wan turned to face me. His eyes were wide with fear and his lower lip was trembling slightly. "Please, tell me who did this to you, child."

My Padawan shook his head. It was the first time he had responded to me at all.

"My Padawan," I began gently and stopped short when Obi-Wan flinched at my words. What was wrong? Did he

15. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! What is happening to this kid!?! You just LOVE to keep on raising more and more questions, don't you? ;) MAN!!! I cannot wait for the next post. Oh please let it be soon! :(

16. ApprenticeM

Apr 10, 2001
    Hey Firedrake, you ARE gonna give us some answers sometime right? Like Qui, I can't take much more of this!!

17. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I don't know who our mystery man is, but I'd sure like to get my hands on him!!

18. TheSwedishJedi

Sep 15, 2001
    Oh poor Obi. The one person that just wants to help is the one person he can't talk to.
    I'm gald Obi is awake though.

More, I say. More

~Swede :p

19. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Hi everyone! I started posting my short stories for those who want to read them inbetween "Shrouded" posts. Here's the link:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=4397187&replies=0

See ya tomorrow with another post of "Shrouded"!!

20. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Hi again!!! How is everyone????????? I'm in a WONDERFUL mood! Thanks for all FB and yes, don't worry, by the time this fic ends I WILL have answered everyone's questions (I hope :eek:)

~ Part Seven: Silenced by Fear ~

Qui-Gon:

I didn't want to push the boy when he obviously wasn't ready to talk about what happened but I *needed* to know the identity of the man who had hurt him. Adi Gallia and a group of other Jedi Knights and Masters had continued to run sweeps of the Temple but nothing unusual had been found. If Obi-Wan didn't tell me, or Yoda didn't come forward, how would we capture the man?

"Obi-Wan," I said very seriously, "you are my Padawan and are required to obey my orders. I am *ordering* you to open your end of the bond and to tell me the name of the person who attacked you. I already know his birth name is Ram-Cead but I need you to tell me what his chosen name is."

"Qui-Gon!" Tahl's vehement voice pierced my ears and I reluctantly turned to look at my friend. Tahl was standing a few feet behind my chair with a look of completely disbelief on her face.

"Yes?" I asked. Anyone other than Tahl, and perhaps Obi-Wan, would be lost to the annoyance behind my voice.

"We need to talk *now*."

I shook my head, "Tahl, Obi-Wan just?"

"*Now*, Qui-Gon!" she practically spat out.

Stifling a deep sigh I stood and prepared to follow Tahl out of the room. "Do not worry, Padawan, Tahl and I are just going to speak right outside the door. I will return in a moment."

Obi-Wan didn't say or do anything to show that he had even heard me. If anything, he looked relieved that I was leaving. I tried not to let it hurt me, but it stung nonetheless.

"What?" I asked Tahl in a low voice as I came to stand beside her in front of the door to Obi-Wan's room.

"Just what do you think you're doing?" Tahl demanded crisply.

I blinked. Was she angry with me? "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"The boy! Qui-Gon, the boy! How can you feel so guilty about everything you didn't do to protect the boy and then go in there and order him to talk about something that's he's obviously terrified to tell you about?"

"We need to know who the man is so that we can capture him, Tahl. Right now we don't even know what he looks like!"

"I know that, Qui-Gon, and I want to capture this man just as much as you do but you can't force the boy to talk! The whole reason Yoda said he wouldn't tell you who the attacker was, is because Obi-Wan needs to tell you himself, to start the healing process. You now how much talking heals the soul, Qui-Gon. You have to let Obi-Wan come to you when he's *ready*. Until then, be patient with him. Show him how much he means to you. Assure him that he'll be your Padawan no matter what happens. If he was abused by this man that means his self-confidence has been seriously weakened. The boy trusts you, Qui-Gon, now you have to show him that that trust isn't misplaced."

I opened my mouth to respond but Tahl cut me off, "Don't even think about arguing with me Qui-Gon, you *know* that I'm right."

Well, it seemed as if I had already committed another error with Obi-Wan. If things continued this way it'd be a wonder if I could train him for a year, let alone to knighthood. How would I have reacted if someone had *forced* me to talk about Xanatos before I was ready? Granted, the situation was slightly different but the principle was the same. I couldn't force Obi-Wan to talk until he was ready and by trying to order him to do so I was not only being a bad Master, I was being a bad friend. When Cerasi was killed I hadn't forced the boy to speak. I was letting my worry for his safety cloud my judgment. "I know you're right, Tahl," I admitted softly. "I just want to know that Obi-Wan is going to be safe and the only way I can do that is if the man is in custody again. Force, Tahl, what is the boy so afraid of?"

"I don't know, Qui-Gon. Maybe he's afraid of how you'll react to what he has to tell you. Maybe he's afraid that

21. ApprenticeM

Apr 10, 2001
    You got it Qui....None of this makes sense!!

Not the story I mean, but why won't Obi say who the man is? Is he really that afraid of him?

22. TheSwedishJedi

Sep 15, 2001
    AAAAHHHHHGGGGGG!!!!!!

23. Cheryl_Kenobi

Cheryl_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2001
    your right it doesn't make sense

24. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    So when exactly were you gonna start giving us some answers here? ;) This is such a great story. I swear, everyday, I come onto this sight, hoping there is another post. Oh please post more soon, and start giving us some answers!!! ;)

25. KenobisGirl

Jul 10, 2001
    Grrrrr.... This story has me so frustrated! *Ashley starts shaking Obi* Come on mister, you're gonna tell me who did this to ya, and that dude's gonna get his booty whooped! Sheeesh! :mad:

I'm ok... More soon please! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.