main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Shrunken Jedi's Fan Art (Updated 7/27/09 Leia Sketch)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by ShrunkenJedi, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    I've also drawn a simple animation (gif) as an experiment. I'll share, and you can see how it turned out.

[image=http://img193.exs.cx/img193/2006/animation3or.gif]

I have to say, I'm getting a bit lonely in here :(

2. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I think your images look great, ShrunkenJedi! And that last .gif is really nice. I very much like it. ;)

~Vassago

3. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Your stuff if fun to look at, you seem to have a very good sense of composition.

This is a tip for your Endor ghost image in the first panel. You don't have to paint the whole endor forest but put a lot of green and some brown and shapes that look like trees (nothing detailed) do all this on a background layer and then blur the heck out of it. it'll look good. I did it for this Padme piece below because I didn't want to draw the Geonosis Arena in the background

[image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/Hoogkamp/Padme_Arena_Color.jpg]

4. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Vassago-- Thanks! Glad to get positive feedback on that one. I might try my hand at some more animation.

Ty-- That's a good suggestion, I might just try that :D

Much apreciated, guys! Now I don't feel like I'm just talking to myself anymore :p

5. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    You have some wonderful work here, ShrunkenJedi--sorry it's taken me so long to visit your thread! I love the style you've developed--very fun and definitive! Great line work and coloring, too--nice! The .gif is very fun, as well--keep up the good work! :)

FF

6. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    FalconFan-- so glad you enjoyed it! I will keep it up-- I enjoy making it a lot :p

I took Ty's advice for the background of my ghost-scene pic, so here it is... :D Thanks, Ty!

[image=http://img206.exs.cx/img206/8411/finallyhappy0fz.jpg]

7. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Hey there ya go, looks good.

I call it the lazy man's background, but it works!

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Sorry I didn't get a chance to come in here sooner, but I just want to mention that I really like what you have going in here.

I especially think the animated gif you recently posted is very original and neat. Did you use Image Ready to accomplish that?

9. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    No apologies needed! I'm just glad you came and enjoyed what you saw :D

The .gif was indeed done with ImageReady, imported from a layered Photoship file :D My first experiment in animation.

10. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    A couple new images I made... quickie things, really.

For the March fan art challenge, the real Phantom Menaces... Darth Binks and Darth Ani.
    [image=http://img103.exs.cx/img103/91/baddarths6ar.jpg]

The cover of my newest fanfic:
    [image=http://img179.exs.cx/img179/9072/oldfriends5ir.th.jpg]

11. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Okay, a new sketch here. It's a "family portrait" (w. Obi-Wan) type piece, ep-3 style, no-spoilers-for-me (as always ;)) At some point, I'd like to trace the lines and color it in on the comp.

[image=http://img104.exs.cx/img104/3824/familyportrait7cz.th.jpg]

Large Version

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Very interesting. Family portraits are always fun to look at - especially if they're of the Skywalker family. ;)

And sorry I didn't comment on your above fan fic cover. I really like the effect you created by putting that Twilight Zone type thing in there. It plays with your mind. :p

Great work! :D

13. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
  14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "Poignant" was the word that came to mind when I saw "Family Portrait:" With the twins already apart, with Obi Wan and Padme, and everyone turned away from Anakin in the middle... Sort of brings home what Anakin lost, or gave up, by turning to the Dark Side... Great concept, ShrunkenJedi--I'd definitely shade this one in and keep it for sure!

I also like the fanfic cover---very "Twilight Zone," as our mod pointed out!

FF

15. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks to you too, FF!

Fixed a technical issue... all good now ;)

16. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Okay, I'm adding my April fanart challenge entry to my gallery... it's for the "characters engaging in real-world activities" category...

[image=http://img75.exs.cx/img75/1739/lukeread7zx.th.jpg]

large format

17. Ewok15

Ewok15 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 1, 2002
    Very nice ShrunkenJedi! :D I (as all the other on-lookers in the thread :p ) love the cartoonish style of your work. Its very refreshing. :) The colors used are excelent as well!

18. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks, and sorry I haven't responded sooner! I haven't been doing a lot of art lately... I'll see about doing better, I like it here. ;)

19. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Okay, I've got another sketch here which I want to eventually trace and color. It's another Skywalker piece...

[image=http://img181.echo.cx/img181/1402/skyfam2wi.jpg]

20. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Hmmm... I don't think I'm going to be able to use Photoshop again until I go back to school in the fall, so if anyone wants to try translating my sketches to digital, I wouldn't mind at all.

21. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    **sigh** I've been mostly working on my fanfic...

22. Kenu

Kenu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    You've a real loose, unique style. Great stuff!

23. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    :D Thanks, I apreciate it!

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    AAACK!! I thought I had commented on this last piece, and find now that I didn't! So sorry! :oops:

I really like the way you've include the most defining features on each of their faces here, ShrunkenJedi--with Anakin's nose and his scar, Padme's lips, Leia's eyes and Luke's mouth and chin. There's no question who each of them is. It's also an interesting touch how you've arranged their gazes: Luke's looking at his father, Leia at her mother, Padme at Anakin--but Anakin's gaze is directed away from them all--a very "telling" thing. Nice work! And as to coloring without the computer--you could be like some of us (read that as me!) and have a go at the "traditional media," like colored pencils or even watercolors. I think some of your work would lend itself well to that. Give it some thought, anyway! ;)

FF

25. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    You've got a very unique style. It's not quite anime, not quite Clone-Wars-style... I think it's very original and makes the sketches stand out. You have an economy of line that I like, especially with the hair... you indicate stuff without going overboard.

It's sort of cool how each of the characters' eyes are focused on another character. They look a bit less like 'floating-heads' because of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.