main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Shrunken Jedi's Fan Art (Updated 7/27/09 Leia Sketch)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by ShrunkenJedi, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Figured I'd share this one with you guys, anyway, just because I've actually got pretty good hands drawn in this one. Who knew.

Drawing

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey SJ--I agree, these hands are better! :D I really like the coloring in this one, too--nice choices (I don't know why the magenta colored hair appeals to me, but it does...shrugs...)! The fingers and shape of the hand that's under her chin still seem a bit awkward, but the one resting on the "paperweight" looks quite good, with nice foreshortening of the fingers. Hands, for me, are exceedingly hard, and I almost always use a model of some kind to get them even remotely right (whether that model is a photograph of the hand in the position I want, or my own hand in that position in a mirror). And as always, you managed to capture wonderful expressions on both their faces!

FF

3. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks again, FF!

I'm back with some Starwarsy goodness, this time... one for the Mother's Day challenge (already posted it there...) and one for a personal project. That project?: do some of my favorite fanart characters as myself. And this time I'm darn well using a mirror and reference pics where applicable! Okay, at least half of the characters I want to draw are originally male, while I'm not. So what. Anyway... First SW pic, Luke in the Throne Room scene, ROTJ. I'm going to do Leia, too. This first one is just a preliminary sketch to go from, not the final product. I have one other sketch for the project, myself as Ender Wiggin, done and up on my DeviantArt account.

Mother's Day challenge:

Full View
    [image=http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/3926/leia0wf.th.jpg]

Prelim. Sketch of Me as Luke:

Full View
    [image=http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/9522/luke6hk.th.jpg]

4. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    As I mentioned in the Art Challenge thread, I really like the Leia piece--very emotional! And what a wonderful piece for "Throne Room!" The composition of this is very nice, with half-full-faces of Palpatine and Vader, and a profile of your determined-looking self--this is just great! I know you usually color your work, but I find that I really like this one just as it is, with the strong lines and deep shadows in black-and-white--it just really drives home the dark and malevolent atmosphere that existed (...exists?) in that throne room. Very nice, SJ!!

FF

5. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks, FF-- I can always count on you for a few encouraging words! I am quite pleased with the Throne Room so far; I like it in black and white, but I think with the right color kick it can go even further!

6. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Here's a pic of the initial vector stage of my me-as-Luke drawing. Ie, no shadows or highlights yet. The colors are quite subject to change, as well.

Link

7. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, yeah--good ol' "yellow Sith eyes!" This looks pretty good so far, SJ--the "base colors" are correct, IMHO, and I know how well you handle the highlights and shading, so won't go into that. Let's be sure not to lose Vader back there, tho--right now, he really blends into Palpy's robe, and I almost didn't see him at first glance. Some well-placed "shiny" on that helmet and faceplate will make him stand out, I'm sure. A little touch of red to the Emperor's eyes would also be good--maybe the rims of the lids...it'd give him a little more of a grisly, Dark-Side appearance... This is going to look good when you're all done!

FF

PS: ...How does it feel to be Luke...? :D ;)

8. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Hmmm... Powerful, with overtones of frustration and anger (My method of art involves acting, you see...) :D

9. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    I'm thinking I might start the finished line-art over again... I like the sketches so much better. *Sigh*

Anyway, I do have something... A SW/LOTR crossover image. Luke and Frodo. Right Here. :D

10. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "My method of art involves acting, you see..."

[face_laugh]

Oh...I see now! ;) :p Sort of like me "striking a pose" in front of the mirror when I can't for the life of me figure out how to draw a body in that position!! "Acting" indeed! ;)

I tried to link to your latest piece SJ but it wouldn't load for some reason--blank screen is all I got. Sometimes it's my ISP or machine (grrrr....), so will try again later--you might want to check the link, tho, just to make sure...

FF

11. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    DeviantArt was giving me a hard time, too, for a while ( :( )... it's working better now, though... :D

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Ah, there we go--and isn't that cute? I really like how you've captured the unique features of each of them, so they're readily identifiable. And the look on Frodo's face as he says (in beautiful LOTR script, btw!) "Nice sword..." A case of "lightsaber envy," methinks! lol! Great combination SJ!

FF

13. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks, FF, I know I can always count on you, and glad you like seeing my stuff so much! Lightsaber envy [face_whistling]

Decided to do something a little quicker, looser and sketchier. A young Obi-Wan with Anakin and an older one with Luke. :D
    There.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and this too :D

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    How did I miss this update earlier...? :confused:

I really like this new one--quick and sketchy seems to suit! The likeness to older Obi Wan is just lovely, and the expression on his face is great--sort of a quirky little smile! And I love the feeling of the younger Obi Wan with Anakin--ruffling his hair as he holds him in his arms...that father-son-like relationship really ended badly...*sniff* There's a lot of emotion in it, and that's always good for me--nice work!

FF

15. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks again, FF! I think I'm getting a bit more confident just drawing or sketching, without having to be so careful... it's a nice feeling...

16. starjedi9045

starjedi9045 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2005
    I love the Leia's picture. I can't drawing really good. I just can't. LOL oh well, My sister is very smart. She can drawing and painting. Really pretty good. I like your picture of Leia.

17. Kenu

Kenu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I love quick and sketchy. :)

18. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks, starjedi and Kenu! Always nice to get some new reviewers :)

19. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Quickie here...

The Obi-Ani brotherhood thread in SW Community is giving me crazy ideas... they were discussing what animals the boys would be, and although I don't usually get disney ideas, it gave me that craziest idea that , from Lion King, Anakin was Simba and Obi-Wan was Rafiki... Ah, yeah :p Here's the result...

[image=http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/7922/oars1js.jpg]

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_laugh]=D=

I love it!! What a great idea: to "graft" the SW characters onto Disney animal characters! Your interpretation fits so very well SJ--now, who do you think would be good for Han Solo...? [face_thinking] ;) This is great!

FF

21. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks again, FF. Hey, long time since I've been here :D

I was in the Obi-Wan/Anakin thread in Community, and we were discussing what they would be like as girls. I volunteered to do a drawing/painting... Here it is. Obe-Wanda and Annie:

[image=http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/407/obeannieqr2.jpg]

22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Interesting idea...interesting painting (was this done in PS?)! I think you could probably have made them both a little more feminine in the face (and yes, I know Jedi don't wear make-up--lighter brows, heavier lashes and smaller noses would have strengthened their appearance as women), but other than that it's a good adaption! And I'll bet it was a rousing discussion in the Obi/Ani thread! ;)

FF

23. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Yeah, it was. I know, I tried to feminize the faces as I could... your suggestions are good :) I was working off an established pic of the two of them for reference, so that might have influenced me. Thanks for the comments, I do appreciate them. :)

EDIT: In fact, I decided to act on them (the product is below). Much better, now! Thanks for helping. :)

[image=http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/3928/obeannie2zf4.jpg]

24. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Okay, that is just creepy. [face_worried] Don't get me wrong, the drawing is very nice, but they do look enough like Anakin and Obi-Wan to just creep me out. It reminds me of a fanfic I once read where Mara turned down Luke's marriage proposal because she was gay... so Luke had a sex change. LOL

AG88

25. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Well, I guess I'll take that as a complement, AG88! Thanks for commenting :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.