Art Archive Shrunken Jedi's Fan Art (Updated 7/27/09 Leia Sketch)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by ShrunkenJedi, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight

star 5
    Ok, I've been missing the pen to my tablet so no digital doodling for me recently. :( I thought I'd show off a couple of wallapers I just got inspired to do, though. I got the idea for the first one after watching Smallville, I really like the way Clark and Lex's friendship is there and changes. And then I realized that you could say some of the same things about the Obi-Wan/Anakin -> Ben/Vader relationship. So...

[link=http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/857/lexclark2gc8.jpg]Clark and Lex[/link]

[link=http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7519/anobiyx9.jpg]Anakin and Obi-Wan[/link]
  2. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi SJ, and welcome back! Sorry to hear you lost your pen--how tough would it be to get another...? Guess I never considered that, regarding a digital tablet: there's only one pen/stylus you can use with it... [face_thinking]

I like both of these a lot: including the "adult" or "aged" versions of both characters is a nice tie-in for where they're going, so to speak. Very nice!

Hope you get a new "pen" soon--just remember that, in the meantime, there's always good ol' pencil/pen and paper! ;)

FF

...And grad...you really do read some strange L/M stuff! lol!
  3. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight

star 5
    Thanks yet again, FF! I know I can always do pencil and paper, and I probably should more often... but I found my stylus, thankfully. I was carrying it around in my jacket pocket (long story... basically, I'd left it at home when I was at school and I was given it back), and I was doing a lot of driving... and it must've fallen out in the car, where I found it. Good thing. :)
  4. academygrad88 Jedi Master

star 5
    Nice job on the wallpapers. And yes, I meant my last comment as a compliment. [face_laugh]
    Yeah, that's true... and you should see the stuff I write. LOL [face_whistling]

Great job, ShrunkenJedi!!=D=

AG88
  5. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight

star 5
    Thanks, AG. :) Glad to hear you meant that last comment as a compliment :p

EDIT: Since I got back use of my tablet, I thought it was only fair I use it for a bit of practice. I decided to do a little portrait based on the same Tom Welling (Clark Kent/Superman) pic I used for my wallpaper... I think it turned out pretty well. Not perfect by a long shot, but I only used 2-3 hours on it... [link=http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/41884529/]Click here[/link]
  6. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I love the similarity to Hamlet and it's definitely fitting.

I also love how you have your own defined style which shows through and makes your art unique.

The duel of the fates piece with the tragedy of Obi-Wan holding his slain Master in contrast to the ominous appearance of Darth Maul standing in the backgroudn was great.

I also had no idea you made that Amphitheatre banner and I think it looks awesome.
  7. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    2-3 hours?!

Wow!! That looks great, SJ!! =D= Likeness portraits take me weeks to finish--sometimes months!--this is wonderful! I love the contrasts and the way you've shaded it--I think my only suggestion would be to give him part of his neck (thus removing the feeling that it's a disembodied head...yeah, I'm twisted! :p ). Other than that, I think it's a wonderful piece! Wow!

FF
  8. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight

star 5
    FF: Thanks! I'm rather proud of it myself, it's one of the more realistic things I've done. The actual time between starting it and finishing it was longer than that, but I did do it in one afternoon with breaks... Your work is so detailed, I imagine a lot of time must be taken up by that. I don't have a lot of patience for too many details :p

MS: So glad you dropped in! Art just relaxes me for some reason... so I fiddle around, and my style's always evolving. Glad you liked those psychological pieces and the Hamlet reference. And, yeah, I did make one of the Amph banners- it gives me a kick when it's up. :D
  9. Stephen_Colbert Jedi Youngling

star 1
    It does the same for me, I just don't do it much. :p
  10. soitscometosith Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Great portrait of Tom Welling - I love the lighting and the way you've done the hair. Good eyes too. 2-3 hours is realy fast for that kind of quality.

=D= Impressive!

11. SithlyShrunkenSock Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Soitscometosith: Thanks! I think working off a picture really helps me more than I like to admit :p

Speaking of that... I have a work-in-progress shot of a [link=http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/7011/lukethinkingoa2.jpg]Luke sketch[/link] I've done from a piture I found... I think I might add in a somewhat aged Anakin (no suit, still has his family) in the background, already found an image I might use... :D
  12. SilSolo Jedi Knight

star 5
  13. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight

star 5
    Thanks, SilSolo!

I added aged Anakin in the background... [image=http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9973/lukeanike7.jpg]
  14. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    How lovely! This looks just like chalk pencils (white and black) on gray paper--but I suspect that it's been done on your tablet again...right? Beautiful job, and I love the premise: father and son, spending time together talking about youthful dreams and aspirations... Wonderful! Luke looks just like Luke--the likeness of Anakin lacks just a bit, though (and I realize you're trying to interpret how he would age from a young photo, which can be really tough!)--however, this does nothing to detract from the lovely feel of the piece. Wonderful job, SJ!

FF
  15. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight

star 5
    [:D] Thank you, FF! Yes, it's a digital piece again. Indeed, extrapolating a reasonable older Anakin and getting him to be instantly recognisable as the same person at the same time isn't easy! I think I'll continue to work on it, there are some other things I think I can make better, too-- Anakin's eyes, for one. I'm very glad at how it turned out so far, though. The pose I found of Anakin (hunching down and peering intently up at his opponent in battle) worked out quite well for my purpose...
  16. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight

star 5
    I did that redo of the [link=http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42211953/]Luke/Anakin sketch[/link] to try to make the Anakin portion of it more realistic and Anakin-like...

EDIT: And blown it up and starting to add Obi-Wan in the background [link=http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9412/lukeanakinobivk1.jpg]here[/link]...

BTW, if anyone is interested, these are the reference photos I've been using... [link=http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8776/dreamerxo9.jpg]this[/link] for Luke, [link=http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8707/01mainor1.jpg]this[/link] for Anakin (good pose, least actually helpful of the bunch because of the whole aging thing of course :p) and [link=http://img422.imageshack.us/img422/6910/3jediwr6.jpg]this[/link] for Obi-Wan...
  17. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight

star 5
    I'd also like to ask if anyone sees things I might want to fix in this preliminary linework [link=http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42443052/]here[/link]. It's a hobbit art project in illustrator, might see if I can get it printed as a nice big poster when I'm done... it contains references to a number of personal jokes there :p I'll go over it again, and if there's anything I need to fix, I'd rather get it done while it's still in the lineart stage than when I start coloring...
  18. soitscometothis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There's no easy way to ask this... What is he doing with his left hand?[face_worried] Is this part of the joke?

Apart from that it looks fine.
  19. academygrad88 Jedi Master

star 5
    I like Luke and Obi-Wan, but Anakin looks a little too old. Wouldn't he be about 40 years old when Luke is that age? I still think he would have his good looks. But other than that I think it looks good.

AG88
  20. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, soits! [face_shame_on_you] [face_laugh]

First, SJ, the Father-and-Son piece--still loving the atmosphere of it, and adding in old Ben just contributes to this! I totally see your problem, with the ref for Anakin--not only is it a tough angle, but in the photo, he also looks pretty maniacal (seeing as it's during his epic duel with Obi Wan on Mustafaar, it's understandable...), so I can certainly see where it would be giving you some grief, trying to use it for an older (and gentler) version. In any case, I still like this piece a lot--it's still a great premise, and I love the idea of Luke and his father having a warm relationship.

The little Hobbit piece is very cute (and I think the man is simply patting his stomach, perhaps in appreciation of the meal just consumed or yet to come! ;) )--and aren't you the sweet little "Hobbit-tess?" :) This is going to be very cute when colored--it reminds me a lot of an illustration from a children's book, or something like that. Nice linework, very clean (in the tablet again?).

FF
  21. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight

star 5
    Soits- No, it wasn't intended as anything 'off-colour' :p But I'll admit that it could look that way. Glad it looks ok otherwise to you :)

AG88- Yeah, I know he's around 40... I might've made him look a *little* younger. I'll probably work on him *again* :p Glad it looks good to you otherwise.

FF- Thanks, I'm always so glad to get comments from you! Yeah, Anakin's not cooperating (but should that really surprise me-- when has he ever been cooperative? :p) I think it's looking more like him now, though. Glad you like Obi-Wan in there (I need to finish shading him in, mostly his robes :p), and glad you still like the premise! For the hobbit piece, you pretty much got the explanation down for the hand placement (like I said, it's not supposed to have any off-color connotation), although his expression does include a certain amount of flirting (the guy hobbit is my boyfriend put into hobbit form :D). I did a sketch of the linework on my tablet, yes, but transfered it to illustrator, which is why it's so smooth. Glad you like it.
  22. Vandalier Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Pretty cool!

For the Luke/Anakin pic, it's nice that you have a composition representative of the idealogical mentoring relationship-- Obi-Wan looking over Anakin looking over Luke. Ideally, they're all happy without an inkling of arrogance.

Your guy hobbit reminds me a little of Andy Capp. I laughed and I don't know why.
  23. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight

star 5
    Vandalier - Thanks for commenting! I like the idea of Obi-Wan looking over the two Skywalkers, and Anakin being able to see his son, too. And your comment about arrogance :) Glad my lineart got a reaction out of you, too :)
  24. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight

star 5
    I did work on the Anakin likeness for the [link=http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42211953/]Luke/Anakin/Obi-Wan piece[/link] *again*... thanks for getting me to keep working on it, AG88, I think it looks a lot better :p I was thinking that now Anakin looks too young in comparison to Obi-Wan (should be about a 15 year diff, right?), but maybe not *shrug*. I still need to work on it some more, fill in Obi-Wan's clothing, make everything look less sketchy... but at least I think I'm finally finding the right look for Anakin. That's something.
  25. soitscometothis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think that's looking really good. Luke is wonderfully rendered: likeness, the way you've done his hair, the ease of his pose... all great. Obi-Wan is coming along nicely, too. The one thing I don't like is Anakin's mustache/ mouth. I think the bottom part of his smile is too low.

I hope that helps.

Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.