Art Archive Shrunken Jedi's Fan Art (Updated 7/27/09 Leia Sketch)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by ShrunkenJedi, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Anakin is indeed looking better, SJ--and for me, I'm not sure if his mouth is too low so much as perhaps pulled up too much at the corners... I know he's smiling here, but on most human faces (and you can check this out in the mirror with your own face at this angle), the top lip doesn't bow upward so much as draw outward in a smile. The bottom lip does angle more, and in a very broad smile has a definite upward curve to it... I think I may be confusing you completely! Take the photograph of Anakin again (or perhaps even another, with a definite smile) and turn both your work and the photo upside down (I know this is in your computer--just flip the image in your art program so you can compare) and really study the shape of the mouth from this perspective. It might help, it might not--it's very close now, though! And I agree that both Luke and old Ben look fabulous! Another thing that's very good is how you've handled the light on all these figures--it's very cohesive and looks wonderful. How's the Hobbit piece coming? :)

FF
  2. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Soits: Thanks! Always glad to get helpful comments :D

FF You're always helpful! I'll take that into consideration. :D I haven't done more work on the hobbit piece, because I've been working on this and occasionally a quick sketch or two, and I have to deal with my homework, independent project, etc... (not taking any art classes, I do all this on my own time!) I'll color it in and tweak it when I have time, though :)
  3. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Meh, I have other projects unfinished so far (although I have been working a bit on the Anakin smile and updated that file, thanks for the tips FF...), but I couldn't help but try a hand at the Leia part of the current Fan Art Challenge... see her here... I tried a mix of cartoonishness and realism, think it came out pretty well...
  4. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Beautiful!! A wonderful interpretation of that moment in the movie! Gosh--the colors and tones are just beautiful: so soft and warm and reflective--great choice, considering the momentousness of events here (her sudden awareness of her connection to the Force). The stylized nature of this is actually another great choice--accentuating those wide eyes brings out the emotion in the scene and the character (and also gives you license regarding the hair--btw, I strongly recommend hitting Aurelia's thread: she has a to-die-for tutorial on how to draw braided hair! It's near the latest post--browse up, you'll find it!). I really like this, SJ! =D=

FF
  5. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks, FF :D I looked at Aurelia's tutorial, and it is a good one- but my problem isn't so much how to shade braids but that they're not that easy to visualize mentally to draw in the first place :p I could do it if I really tried, but I was getting slightly lazy :p

I keep myself very busy with artwork whenever I'm trying to keep from thinking about all the schoolwork I need to do... that being said, I have a Clone Wars-style Anakin/Obi-Wan desktop done here... and yes, I have art projects I haven't quite finished, as well, I know :p
  6. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Great job on the CW scene, SJ! =D= It has the sort of characteristic "dark look" that most of that series did, and the replication of the style is nearly flawless! Beautiful job with the Coruscant b/g, too--very nice atmosphere! This looks just great! =D=

FF
  7. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks as always, FF! [:D] @};- True, it's not absolutely perfect (maybe I'll fix a flaw or two I see in the replication of the style...), but I'm still pretty proud of how it came out. Mostly, I'm glad I was able to modify the poses and expressions from my references in a way that seemed pretty natural. (Yeah, like a lot of us, I'm my own worst critic when it comes to my artwork :p ) I wasn't thinking about it, but you're right, CW does have a somewhat dark style a lot of the time... :)
  8. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Even though I'm about as un-religious as it's possible to be, I still felt the need to holiday-up my desktop... I figured I'd better do it myself, since I'm picky, and besides, it's not as easy to find channukah desktops as it is to find christmas ones. In fact, I'd done one a year or two ago-- one which I drew, not used photos for, and which had Anakin at different stages instead of candles. I can't find it anymore, though. Wish I could...

Here's the desktop

Oh yeah, I also made this one, aothough I decided not to use it myself...
  9. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, I like both of these, SJ! =D= Especially the one with the Lars homestead and the advancing night, lit by the brilliance of all those lightsaber blades (candles)! Beautiful, and very SW! Loved the quote, too (very applicable to the LOTF story arc...sigh). The one of just the lightsabers is beautifully composed, as well, with Luke's blade in the center--lovely! Very pretty--thanks for sharing them!

FF
  10. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks, FF! Lightsabers for lightsaber effects just work so well for this... and Christmas desktops are a dime a dozen, I figured I might as well at least provide something a bit different :p
  11. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Speaking of lightsabers... Today I have a little piece I like to call 'Return of the Shrunken Jedi'... :D

Click Here
  12. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    =D=

Oh, I love this!! What a great little "self-portrait," and in your own very-unique style! Love the 'sabers, too--most extremely cool, with the soft, dual-light shadow beneath you there--the lighting is wonderful! Love the expression on your face, too--very stern and intense (don't mess with this diminutive Jedi! ;) )! Awesome colors, too--just love the whole thing!

FF
  13. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks, FF-- I really appreciate your continuing support. It encourages me to push my skills and keep drawing and learning about art, which is what we all need to get better... I look back at the stuff I was doing just a few years ago when I joined and first began posting, and I'm reminded how much I've improved. Heck, I'm often dissatisfied with stuff I drew not even that long ago!
  14. SilSolo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Like I said on DevArt, it's good.
  15. Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Knight

star 2
    You have a nice style - soft colours and shading and the art is very clean. Love the expression - kind of like 'I can kick your a$$ without breaking a sweat.' (I think it's something in the stance but it sort of reminds me of Trinity pulling off her kick in the first installment of Matrix.)

- Suz ^_~
  16. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks, SIl and Your Worship :)
  17. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ok, it's not Star Wars, and it's a WIP, but I haven't actually done much in quite a while...

It's a little Vulcan girl with her first-place science-fair project... Tribbles. So I call it 'The Trouble with Science Fairs'
  18. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Ha! Love it! You have to go check out jedipencil's thread (most recent post)--she's done a sketchcard of Captain Kirk with all the Tribbles! It's awesome, too! Suddenly the little furballs are everywhere! lol! This is cute--you may want to emphasize her little Vulcan ears just a bit more, so we know it's not just how her hair is falling over them. LOL--I'm assuming she started the entire project with one or two...? [face_laugh]

FF
  19. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks, FF. Yeah, I saw that... very cool :D

I redid the face a little bit after realizing I'd forgotten to add the sharp Vulcan eyebrows... Put those in. And I did add a little emphasis to the ears. Now I'm starting to trace in Illustrator. :D
  20. Chilla Force Ghost

star 4
    ROFL! [face_laugh] Tribbles!!! [face_laugh]

Oh no! I love those little furballs! (as long as they stay in the picture)

Excellent drawing! :D =D=
  21. Vandalier Jedi Knight

star 1
    lol

She looks like she wants to train them to be her killer army of the night.

... Or something...

Very cute!
  22. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks, Chilla, Vandalier. Yes, she does look like she wants to take over the world with Tribbles, doesn't she? It's the cute ones you have to look out for. [face_shhh]
  23. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I heard that there was a main banner contest going to come up shortly, and I had an idea, so I started early, because I have a feeling it could take a while to implement well... you can see the start I have here. Obviously needs a lot more stuff in there, but that's not unusual. Basically, I'm doing a trace and color process along with letting some of the initial shading through to get a sort of comic-book effect- you can probably see why that would be time consuming. Is it worth it, though? That's what I'm wondering. Any comments/tips would be gladly appreciated. They always are, but this time especially. :)
  24. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    It's looking good so far, SJ--I rather like the "comic book" look to it (a lot of banners incorporate just those images, so having one with that same effect should work out fine, to my thinking). The "sunset colored" background is nice, too--I think it's a very nice start!

FF
  25. ryanwong Jedi Padawan

Looks nice. I like the simplicity of it. What software are you using? Photoshop? Illustrator?
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.