1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest. New feature: The Art of Disney…Now discussing:

Art Archive Shrunken Jedi's Fan Art (Updated 7/27/09 Leia Sketch)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by ShrunkenJedi, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks, FF and ryanwong. I used Photoshop... wonder if I could get a better effect with Illustrator, though...
  2. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  3. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not familiar with this character, but I like the expression and the style! Very nice coloring, with good shading--I think my only suggestion might be to "soften" the color of the wolf silhouette (a softer color, like a deep gray or a dark blue-gray): the contrast between the silhouette and the figure is pretty sharp, and that large patch of black tends to snag the eye, drawing the focus away from the character (...unless this is what you wanted in the first place...?). I like it, though! :)

FF
  4. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks, FF! You may be right about the shadow... I think that can be easily fixed, though, I'll see how it looks. Maybe lighter at the junction between Remus and the shadow, and darker farther away...
  5. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    New painting, impressionist style, of Obi-Wan in shadow! I did use a reference for this, of course.

Obi-Wan in shadow
  6. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Impressionistic, indeed! I love the obvious strokes you used here--it adds a lovely quality to it; beautiful handling of the light and shadows here, too. His hair and beard are gorgeous, with the little touches of highlighting on the individual hairs... I've already commented on the facial proportions, so won't belabor those here--but I do indeed love this realistic style from you--it's wonderful to see your talent spreading its wings, so to speak!

FF
  7. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks *so much* for your comments, FF-- it means a lot! I really enjoy trying different styles, it's kind of like giving myself my own art class but not grumbling at the homework because I decide what it is I do, when :p Glad you like this realistic style, maybe I'll do some more from reference, and then go back to try it without... only way to learn proper shading and proportion is to observe and draw/paint from life or pictures and internalize the reasons behind why it appears as it does, right? :D
  8. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've got the yin/yang concept finished for the end of the month...

here
  9. BIEREN Force Ghost

star 3
    love the ying/yang, original and fun to see.
  10. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I really like how it ended up, especially your use of Alderaan and Tatooine as the circles.
  11. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Bieren: Thanks, glad you like the concept!

Starwalker: Thanks :D Glad you like the finished product and the use of the planets.
  12. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    A wonderful finish for Luke/Leia! I really like the yin/yang idea--and it works so well for them, too! Good shading and colors--wonderful concept!

FF
  13. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Aw, thanks, FF. So glad you like the concept and colors! I have to admit it didn't turn out *quite* as well as I personaly would've liked, but -- well, stuff rarely does. :p I can only try...
  14. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ...And I've got the Jaina/Jacen yin yang, too. It's pretty rough, yes, but I found it hard to make the original sketch smoother while keeping the character I wanted, so left it. :p

Jaina/Jacen yin yang
  15. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Wonderful--and I don't think the "sketchiness" of the line detracts from this at all: I love the way the lightsabers form the "points," and the stark black and white are good choices for these two in particular. I also like the way you've given us Jaina full-faced, while Jacen is turned away from the viewer in profile--excellent metaphoric image!--and the way they seem to be looking at each other here, but across a distinct and unmistakable line... A wonderful piece! =D=

FF
  16. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Haven't done much SW work recently, but here's something new... I did a Tenel Ka pic...

Here
  17. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Good for you, trying some figures (they give me perpetual heartburn, too...)! This looks pretty good, too, with the outstretched arm and lifted knee. My only suggestion would be to adjust the length of the lifted foreleg--to me, it seems a bit short (the foreshortening on the thigh looks pretty good). Nice colors, and her hair looks great (I could see her practicing her dueling forms and techniques here). Good to see an update!

FF
  18. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks, glad you like the hair! And thanks for the encouragement and comment on the proportions. :)
  19. kecen Force Ghost

star 4
    Ai, I can certainly say your art style is very noticeable, haven't seen anything like it in the circle of people I watch on DA XD
  20. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm not entirely sure whether that's a compliment or not, but thanks! Glad you took the time to look.
  21. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey folks, finally something new from me! I'm working on a Leia/Vader interrogation piece for the 'scenes alluded to in the movies' section of this month's Fan Art Challenge... check it out: The Interrogation
  22. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Just so you know, I still love your icon here! :p :D

Like I said at dA--this is a good moment to illustrate: that alluded-to torture/interrogation aboard the Deathstar...between father and daughter... **shivers at the thought** If you need any ideas or suggestions about the critique offered there, just PM me and I'll be glad to help in any way I can! I like the concept (and can't wait to see some more depth and highlighting on the Dark Lord here! ;) ), and am looking forward to the final version! :D

FF
  23. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [:D] Thanks so much, your help is very much appreciated!
  24. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  25. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I love the expression on Leia's face.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.