SIAP: New Lucas film: Red Tails

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Riven_JTAC, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Riven_JTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Just saw the trailer on Yahoo! Movies.

Red Tails trailer

Just a bit of background, this is George's new film coming out next year. It is based on the true story of the Tuskegee Airmen, a group of African-American fighter pilots in the the segregated military of the United States during World War II.

Background on the Tuskegee Airmen

I am very much looking forward to this film. I cannot express the amount of respect I have for these men (and all men and women wearing the American flag on their shoulders). I actually have a 1000-pc jigsaw puzzle of a painting of the Red Tails in action near my TV. It's a wonderful work. I might purchase a real, large print of it soon (see the image here).
  2. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 6
    Wait, Lucas makes other movies?
  3. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I wondered if he was ever going to actually make this. The last news where he talked about it was 2005, that I recall. "I want to make smaller films".
  4. Riven_JTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Yeah, I remember hearing about this for a few years, too. Finally got a theatrical trailer. Looks great. On another board I saw some people whining about the CG, but it looks fine to me.
  5. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, I saw this in 1996. It's called The Tuskegee Airmen.
  6. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Because historical events can only be made into one movie, ever. In history. Cynical much?

This movie has been quietly filming for a while now. Kind of funny that we all got so used to the flood of Star Wars stuff that a lot of people are surprised this has even been made when in actuality there has been news and photos from the production circulating for a year and a half now, if you know where to look.

Also, should point out that ol' Flannel Flanks himself did not actually direct this, just produced and guided, which I think is where he probably feels more comfortable as a film maker anyway, so its probably for the best.
  7. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Take note that this is neither directed nor written by Lucas, he just made up the story, so it might be good.
  8. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    So, you're saying that Lucas is continuing his "Power of Myth" approach to film, by making up the story of the Tuskegee Airmen?
  9. Riven_JTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    By "made up," you mean "added a Hollywood spin to a true story," correct? Because otherwise, you must've missed the link in my original post indicating that the Tuskegee Airmen are very real.
  10. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Of course, but it's Lucas story.
  11. firesaber Jedi Master

star 3
    Actually he's credited with a writers credit, while the screenplay is credited to John Ridley.

I'm curious to see this. I'm wondering if it's going to be a true historical account, like a retelling of the original TA movie or if it's going to take some "license" a la Fly Boys.
  12. darthtenbiscuits Force Ghost

star 7
    So Uncle George is slapping his name on the credits of a movie that's already been made in my adult lifetime. How amazingly lame.

Wake me when he's actually directing a non-Star Wars film ala THX-1138 or American Graffiti.
  13. Aytee-Aytee Force Ghost

star 5
    World Wars Episode II: The Segregation Menace
  14. StarWarrior92 Jedi Master

star 2
    This movie looks really good. Can't wait to see it.
  15. firesaber Jedi Master

star 3
    Do you feel the same way about all the other movies that have been "redone" in the last year and a half?
  16. Aytee-Aytee Force Ghost

star 5
    Meh, I'm still waiting for the prequel to Howard the Duck.
  17. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Lucas financed Howard the Duck, and distributed it via lucasfilm. That's pretty much his involvement.
  18. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Actually looked alright. That title screen though... immediately put me in mind of Sin City.
  19. Riven_JTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Seriously. So many movies the last several years have been remakes.

Some are bad, some are not. Some are actually pretty good.
  20. darthtenbiscuits Force Ghost

star 7
    I'm not against remakes, per say. I just want to see Lucas being more involved and seeing as how he does so few non-Star Wars or Indy projects, it would be nice to see him doing something more from his own creative imagination.
  21. MandalorianDuchess Jedi Master

star 3
    Just because another movie about the same subject was made a decade or two ago doesn't make this one a "remake", imho.

It's just another take on the same subject, AFAIK. I'll give Lucas and the filmmakers the benefit of the doubt until I watch it.
  22. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm not going to give it a chance. I've already seen it and the subject is just not that interesting.
  23. firesaber Jedi Master

star 3
    Not an interesting subject at all, 1st all black fighter group, amazing combat record and an absolute slap in the face to segregation. Nothing to see here [face_not_talking]
  24. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree, it's not interesting, especially after you've already seen it.

The story relies on a level of emotional investment I just don't have the energy to summon for movies anymore.
  25. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6