main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious books

Discussion in 'Literature' started by gilmanh8s, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gilmanh8s

gilmanh8s Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2003
    Hiya, I did a search on the boards and couldn't find an answer so if this is discussed elsewhere I apologize ahead of time. But are there any books that deal with Darth Sidious' origins and how he became a Sith Lord, who was his Sith Lord, etc.? Anything would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    No, afraid not. I think LFL want to keep all that stuff shrouded in mystery for a while.

3. gilmanh8s

gilmanh8s Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2003
    Dang, I was kinda hoping for something. Thanks anyway.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    After ep 3 is out we may get something like this.

A 'I, Palpatine' novel has been suggested here many times. Will it happen? Who knows?

JB

5. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    I think it'd be interesting to see it as a collaboration between Luceno and Stover--one for the politics, and one for the philosophy....

6. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    I agree with Tam_Elgrin, I think Lucas wants to keep Sidious' identity a secret until next May. I haven't read any of the PT EU books, but I hope those authors haven't been getting too ahead of themselves incase EpIII negates all of that. I think I've figured out the deal with Sidious, but I doubt we're supposed to talk about that here.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    For all who may still think otherwise, Sidious is Palpatine.

8. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    I won't say anything as hackneyed as "No...that's not true....that's impossible! Nooooooooo!". Nope, not me.

9. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Intresting how a certain Prequel era novel set before TPM confirms that about the two without flat out saying it's true. Kinda like covering their behinds incase Lucas says otherwise, though it's unlikely he will.

10. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    I really wish that they would stop calling Palpatine Sidious, because he always was Palpatine.

11. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    I think we should all walk out of EpIII saying "Wow, what a great movie! Who would have thought that Darth Sideous was really Palpatine?"

But, yeah. I'm glad everyone else has figured it out. It's kind of a weird situation Lucas made. All the amateur SW fans go to TPM, see Sideous, and think he's the Emperor because he looks just like him. Anyone who knows anything about SW hears the name Palpatine and knows HE'LL become the Emperor. Then, AOTC came out, and people started to figure things out. I doubt everyone knew after the first time they saw TPM, though. If you did, nice job.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Hehe, I thought Lucas made it stupidly obvious that Sidious is Palpatine in TPM(i.e. camera focuses on him after Mace says "but who was killed? The master or the apprentice?"). Yeah, I knew Palps was Sidious from the time I read the TPM novelization in April of '99(in otherwords, I made the connection from the get-go)

13. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    I think the fact that he was using the same actor to play both roles kinda gave it away before TPM. If folks hadn't figured it out from TPM, then they should have figured it out from the ending of DM:SH.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    But he's a clone! It's the only explanation!

15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think its a conscious choice on Lucas' part actually. I don't think surprise would have worked honestly the way Lucas has it set up.

If we DON'T know Palpatine is Sideous then it looks like Sideous gets his anyx kicked at the end of Episode I.

If we don't know Palpatine is Sideous then its GREAT...YAY CLONES!

Episode III would be AWESOME for the wool pulled over everyone's eyes.

BUTTT...this way we have a slow building towards the end and an appreciation for all the subtle maneuverings going on

16. Chido

Chido Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2004
    Sidious is a clone of boba fett. Duh!

17. Colt 45

Colt 45 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2000
    "I think the fact that he was using the same actor to play both roles kinda gave it away before TPM."

ya, that and the fact that the same actor played the Emperor in RotJ as well. But it has kinda irked me the way the PT novels have skirted around actually showing that Palpatine and Sidious are one-in-the-same. It's like someone up there isn't absolutely sure that GL isn't going to throw a curveball and say "tee-hee, Sidious is Palpatine's twin brother!" or something.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think Palpatine's origins, along with Yoda's species, is one of those things that will probably never be revealed, as there really is no possible satisfactory answer.

Probably the most we'll ever get is the name of Palpatine's master, to complete the inevitable history of Bane's Sith.

19. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    But it has kinda irked me the way the PT novels have skirted around actually showing that Palpatine and Sidious are one-in-the-same.

Actually, I believe they are not allowed to directly touch the subject until after EpIII and so they can only say they are one-in-the-same indirectly. This way observant fans can know ahead of time what is going to happen on the Sidious-Palpatine front if Lucas doesn't decide that he's been building a giant snowball to throw at us. And if he does decide that he does want to throw a snowball at us, by indirectly saying Palpatine is Sidious it can be claimed that the author's may have been told to do that so as to mislead us from the truth. Kinda like a magician preforming slight of hand, having us look in one direction when the trick is occuring elsewhere entirly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.