main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

sidious' face in ep1 & 2

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthWolvo23, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    in ep1 & 2 when sidious appears obscured by his hood to the trade federation and dooku, underneath does he look like palpatine or like he looks at the end of ep3?

i believe he looks like at the end of ep3 as this is the "true face" of darth sidious and palpatine's face is merely a mask

also nute gunray recognises sidious in ROTS when he addresses him via hologram with his "real" face on show.

2. TheVoiceofSatan

TheVoiceofSatan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    He looks like Palpatine in Ep I & II - his face is ruined by the deflection back at him of his own Force Lightning.

3. Master_Yoder

Master_Yoder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    He was supposed to look like palpatine. When mace countered his force lightning back at him, his face schriveled. Basicly, He looked normal in eppys 1-2, when he was called Darth sidious. Now since everyone knew he was palpy, he changed to emperor palpatine.

4. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Agreed. That's the reason why.

He explains it himself in the senate scene:

"This attempt on my life, has left me scarred and deformed!"

5. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    He looks like Palpatine in Ep I & II - his face is ruined by the deflection back at him of his own Force Lightning.

That's very debatable. You may wish to check out this thread for a good discussion on this topic.

6. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    yes, it's not so cut-clean as the first few posts here say. McCallum has said that he has been deformed the whole time and using lightning just let it show.

Personally, I would rather it be the way that Sidious said to the senate, the way that actually plays out on screen.

7. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    palps face was definitely not deformed by lightning

do u remember luke being deformed by it in ROTJ? No? Exactly.

dont believe what he tells the senate, he is hardly going to say "this is my real face, check out my groovy yellow sith eyes" is he???

some people!

8. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Sidious face in Eps.I & II is his normal "Palpatine" face. In his first hologram scene of Eps.III (talking to Grievous), he also looks that way. End of discussion.

During the Windu fight his "Emperor" face appears and from then on, it's permanent.

Whether it's his real face or not, it doesn't matter a bit. He only starts to look like the emperor after the Windu fight, not earlier.

9. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Yea it was deformed by lighting. If he could chnge to a normal looking face why didnt he in ROTJ why would he want to look so ugly? Also kinda off topic why didnt they shadow Palps' face more in Ep1 and EP2 its so obvious sidious=Palps.

10. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    it states in the visual dictionary that palps was "UNMASKED" by lightning, not DEFORMED.

also, read the novel - he says the face of palpatine has served him well upto then but the face of sidious will do from now on

end of story

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    That's strange, the Visual Dictionary I have says his face was "deformed" by the lightning.

12. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    but u guys have to take into account what lucas was thinking when he did TPM and i know that Lucas when through different scenario as to how merge palpatine with sidious onscreen for ROTS, in version i think (an earlier draft maybe) in ROTS u see palpatine only a chancellor and sidious only as sidious and i think there was "lowering the hood moment", i dont know i read it in Ian commentaries

but i will ask you the following question

why is that Sidious in TPM had the his menacing ROTJ-style voice
    why is that Sidious in AOTC had the his menacing ROTJ-style voice
    and when he is Palaptine in TPM/AOTC/ROTS he has his soft voice

the menacing ROTJ-style voice i always assume came after the deformation, that clearly shows lucas might have had other plans for sidious/palpatine Question.

in ROTS there is one line the unhood Sidious (palpatine) speaks using the menacing ROTJ-style voice and thats when he says to Window "iam the Senate"

13. Master_Yoder

Master_Yoder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    No....YOUR'RE the end of story :D:D:D

14. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    and now i'm insulted by people who can't spell!

15. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

Let me tell you a story:

One day a man called Lucas had an idea. He went a certain distance with that idea. He then changed his mind on a whim. His new idea did not fit well with his old idea, or with any other ideas he had. Lucas was vague and has since changed his mind back and forth. His Yes Men try to second guess what his POV is on any particular day.
    One day soon he will change his mind again.

Meanwhile the fans are left to debate what interpretation is "correct".

But nothing truly is...

16. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I agree. I used to defend the "deformed" arguement, but now I could go either way. Truth is, we will probably never know, unless Lucas answers the question. I don't trust anything his henchmen say.

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Everyone that has spoken about this, has been consistent in saying that Sidious had been hiding his true visage (prune face) with the dark side of the force.

The novelization talks about it, McCallum has spoken about it, and Ian McDiarmid has spoken about it.

After he was "attacked" by Windu, he dropped the charade, because it added to his story about the Jedi trying to take over the Republic.

18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Well that just goes to show you that EU sources contradict each other.

19. Jodus

Jodus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 21, 2005
    Palpatine had it all planned out. At least thats what it looks like to me through the movies (especially ROTS) that it was all planned out.

His Palpatine face was a front, put up by his power, and likely that cost him to use his skill all the time. Especially in the company of the Jedi masters. When he fought Mace, he knew Anakin would be coming, and once he got there, he threw the fight. His face was "deformed" so to speak so that it would be a good marker of the Jedi traitors who tried to kill him. Nothing better than a few scars to get the chicks, I mean, convince the Senate of his being a victim.

And after Anakin made his choice, Palps just opened up his can of whoop ass (which of course he was holding back) After which, he made no comment or anything about how he looked now as he put his hood on. No suprise, no remorse, no "Oh my god look at me". This was normal for him. The novel adaption clearly states "I'll miss Palpatines face, but the face of Sidious will do for now".

The only hiccups in Palpatines plan for domination over the years has been Obi-wan. Anakin would not have been brought off Tatooine if it had been up to Ben. He killed Maul, Palps first apprentice. He actually uncovered the plot of Sidious and Dooku, even if he didnt believe it, and in the end, he defeated Lord Vader and made him into the cyborg he is. Obi-wan was the chosen one :p

20. LordBestor

LordBestor Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2005
    his face is always the same in all the episodes look at the holograms of him in episode 1

21. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Sidious' face in TPM and AOTC is young, NOT the old disfigured face we see in ROTS and later.

22. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    True, but Gunray & Co. aren't shocked, at all when they see the "true face" of their Sith Master, as he tells them his Apprentice will "take care" of them, are they?

They probably assued that he was that ugly under the hood.

23. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

Everyone that has spoken about this, has been consistent in saying that Sidious had been hiding his true visage (prune face) with the dark side of the force.

Really? Then how do you explain the interviews stating that Palptine's appearance corrupts over years due to age and Dark Side usage? And the comments about gradually using make-up to show this process, as they did in AOTC.

All the sources contradict eachother, because Lucas changed his mind. There is no right answer.

24. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    I believe Palpatine says "scarred" and "deformed" only to gain sympathy from wavering Senate subjects. It was yet another means to get his ends. The Dark Side clouded the Force, the Dark Side masked Palpatine's true identity.

25. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    ...or, the people who wrote the book were using a FIGURE OF SPEECH! like, look he's evil, now his face looks in a way that corresponds to what he is, how witty and ironic

Not everything has to be entirly literal

his true identity as a scarred human?? I mean he doesn't exactly look all that alien, just shriveled and burned,

probably had the yellow eyes anyway, besides I seriously doubt anyone in a republic as diverse as that would have cared what species he was anyway,
    he could have been a green skinned gorilla with 7 arms for all they care, I mean his chief advisor had horns, blue skin, and head tails

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.