main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious' fighting style

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by r8hitman, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    I dont really care, I just want to see him in action before May 19, I remember before going to see AOTC I already knew Yoda's fighting style because I saw a clip of it floating around the net, but we still havent seen Sidious' style yet :(

2. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    a side comment is I think the jedi except for dooku have not trained to fight against another sabre and that might be why the jedi have a problem theyre too use to blasters and the like

3. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    Yes'm, the Jedi are not used to engaging in lightsaber-on-lightsaber combat.

They simple practice it out of tradition.

4. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    No I'm sure they probably "spar" with each other just like the sith do.

5. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    They do.

I meant...you know...a real duel.

6. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    In the book aotc It talks about how dooku is one of the few jedi who practices the dueling style. it requires a whole different set of training to fight against another swordsman. thinking about it, fighting a blaster requires random sometimes wild movement which is different then the controlled movement in dueling. I think the posse is simply not ready to duel mentally and their reaction time is conditioned for blasters which is why they fall so quickly

7. Darth_Dweebie

Darth_Dweebie Jedi Master star 1

Aug 9, 2003
    Very good point SteveRodgers.
    The Palpinator's style will be taking the Jedi to school. Very simple.

8. JamesEarlVader

JamesEarlVader Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    Ok, well basically, my theory about Palpidious' fighting style is thus.

Sidious will fight in a similar manner to Count Dooku, mainly wrist movments and graceful footwork. No acrobatics. If you watch AOTC closely enough, you will see Dooku's type of fighting style to be unique, and Sid's will be the same. I also beleive, like most of you said, that he would barely move from the spot he started in. Sid's will probably use a very ancient style of fighting, one handed saber with graceful, yet powerful swings to defeat Yoda.

Just my 2 cents

9. woodlebert1

woodlebert1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2005
    ok, well some of you guys have seen the movie so... out with it! whats his style like?

51hours...

10. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Can someone who has seen the movie give me a detailed description of Sidious' fighting style???

11. WelshDrivaaar

WelshDrivaaar Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2004
    Saw it tonight. He spins, M Bison style over his desk, does flips with Yoda, and is generally fairly spry. His attacks are aggressive.

12. BrendanWOR

BrendanWOR Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    Aggressive swings and lunges with a few flips. Nothing really acrobatic.

13. DarthMiscuous

DarthMiscuous Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    I hope noone minds my bumping this topic back up, but I was kind of interested in discussing this topic now that most have seen the movie. And since there's a moritorium on new threads I figured I'd just bump this one.

Anyway, with that said WOW Palpatine's fighting style is awesome. Just the lunges and the way he holds his lightsabre is very unorthodox. Does anyone know if this is an actual fighting style or did Ian McDiarmid just make it up?

This look here is my favorite in the entire movie, he just looks so crazy in this pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/TrickyNinja/palpatine.jpg

Thoughts?

14. ZachH

ZachH Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    Yeah I to would like to further discuss his fighting style now that most have seen the film. I after viewing the movie twice now notice that he has a really nasty stabing move that goes right through the vital region. I really enjoyed watching sidious fight the jedi that came to arrest him, he fights very different than all of the others in star wars.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I really like the style in the Mace vs. Sidious duel.

They both use more stabs and thrusts, less hack-n'-slash compared to the other Jedi.

Nick Gillard said that Yoda-Dooku-Qui-Gon-Obi-Wan-Anakin are all in one line of training, so their styles are relatively similar.

Whilst Mace and Sidious come from another tradition entirely.

16. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    http://img278.echo.cx/img278/1025/rotsitstreasonthen5rt.gif

17. neutralsideforce

neutralsideforce Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 2005
    The icon Adm_Thrawn has is my favorite scene of the movie. I remain faithful to the board even having all six movies at home. I am training my mother from episode 1-6. OK, that's all for now.

18. Darth_Callidus

Darth_Callidus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    His style was so diffrent it caught 3 jedi off gaurd, i dont think it is a style that has not been taught to the jedi. he did hold up well with mace, and yoda. i like it and wish there was some kind of guild to jedi fighting.

19. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Wow! Thanks for that info Garth. They DO have a different style, and I was trying to work out why. It makes so much more sense now. :)

20. dee_dee24m

dee_dee24m Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    I love the way that, as with Maul and Dooku, Palps freely uses psychology as part of his 'weaponry' and fighting style. He pauses, giving his foes time to quake in their boots... He leans in close, hissing like a snake... And of course when it comes to Yoda he openly mocks him.

The 'stabbing' motions prove he's a confident combatant. Like Mace in AOTC, he wastes no time or effort making it look fancy (one CGI mid-air spin excepted).

21. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    At first, I had thought that his fighting style would reflect his personality - cool, calm, collected, and maybe some other words beginning with 'c'.

Having seen it, I realise now I was looking at it as if it was Palpatine fighting. Palpatine the Chancellor, the politician. In fact he fought more like the actual guy he is underneath, Darth Sidious - all hissing hate, anger, and fury.

For one thing, he's a quick mover. Especially his hand speed. He also has that unusual 'ready' style, holding his sabre point-on aimed at his opponent rather than held vertically. You can see this best during his fight with Mace, and also right after the first exchanges with Yoda.

He's a skilled duellist but he seems most comfortable with bringing his Force powers into play. You get the impression he wants to kill his opponent with the blade, especially when it's a hated Jedi, but has no problems falling back on some handy powers if needs be.

If this makes any sense...he's much more of a 'stabber' than a 'slasher'. On the one hand that can make it a tough style to defend with. On the other hand, the accuracy can be devastating.

It's definitely something I'll be going over frame-by-frame with the DVD come the end of the year to study. I particularly want to see how his defense differs between Mace and Yoda.

22. Jedi_Shoe_Shiner

Jedi_Shoe_Shiner Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Palps and Mace's styles are all about power and center of gravity much like how many old style martial arts styles are. They stay centered to maintain a good sense of balance while using their hips and shoulders to perform the power moves such as the stabbing and blocking. Palp's stabbing of Agen Kolar is a good example of this. Their foot steps are always flat to the ground and rarely do they kick or jump. They move when necessary and are always seeking an opening for which to make that one killing move. Their style is not about wounding or flashy defense. When dueling a Palps or Mace, the flashy moves will get you killed quickly as they would not be impressed or intimidated by them.

Dooku's style is fast and deadly and uses more arm and feet movements and slashing movements. Notice how in AOTC how he plays with his opponents and wittles them down until they make an opening. A Dooku style is about disarming quickly and has excellent defense. Dooku is probably not a powerful fighter but is quick and would run circles around a slower fighter. His defense was exceptional in ROTS against two opponents, but you could tell he could not keep it up for very long. One-on-one against Obi-Wan and Dooku would have owned him again, as he did in AOTC, since you could tell Obi-Wan would have been slow as a slug against just a few of Dooku's attacks. Anakin simply overpowered him and broke through all of Dooku's defenses using brute force, with which Dooku had no skill against.

Notice how that the older the Jedi get, the less fancy they become (except Dooku). Anakin was flashy and powerful which is rare but as Vader against Luke, he toned down his flashy moves for more aggressive, one kill types much like Palps employs. This tells me that Sidious had to re-train Anakin/Vader in a more deadly style.

Yoda does not have a specific style that I can tell. His combines many different areas and is quite flashy probably because he is smaller and he has to jump upwards to allow himself to perform a deadly strike or all he would do is cut off his opponent's feet. I don't see how his style is powerful, but I do see it as a similar style to Dooku's where his speed disarms and kills.

23. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Vader would've been hampered by the suit, as well.
    There's no way he would've had the agility or flexibility to do some of the things he could do when he was Anakin.

24. LoneFoxAndCub

LoneFoxAndCub Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    Palpatine's style at first seemed entirely aggressive, but after a few viewings I notice his constant holding of the saber directly pointed at his opponents body is his defence pose.

From that he can hold the attacker at bay, block pretty much any attack, and stab/thrust without changing his stance. Nice!

25. MaceWindu_is_GOD

MaceWindu_is_GOD Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    Form I (BASIC) - Younglings

Form II (Dueling) - Dooku

Form III (Contemporary) - Obi-Wan

Form IV (Acrobatic) - Yoda

Form V (POWER) - Vader

Form VI (Aggresive Defense) - Mace

Form VII (All out rage and unpredictability) - Sidious and Maul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.