main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious' fighting style

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by r8hitman, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JawaStew

JawaStew Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Hey Yoshi, yeah I got that afterward, sorry! My bad. I'm definitely not suggesting that things are borrowed from KOTOR anyway or any EU - I actually didn't start playing it until after the movie (was on a Star Wars low).

But it definitely sounded like it to me, maybe just effects. However, Sidious has some pretty nutty voice effects throughout - in the Sith Knighting of Anakin, he is all over the place, and they did an excellent job of making his voice daemonic / harmonic, to give it an otherworldly effect. So it's maybe not too much of a stretch to suggest that he does command Sith powers related to his voice? Not confirmed of course... I haven't read the novel.

2. Supersized_Force

Supersized_Force Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2005
    I scream you

You scream

We all scream with Force Scream

3. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Yeah, I don't think it's a stretch...but I'm just not sure if that's what Lucas had in mind with that scream. Perhaps though. Definitely possible. I know he really gets in the Jedi's heads in the novel as he's killing them. Haven't read it though, just remember quotes.

4. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Maybe he was sounding his barbaric yawp?

5. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Dead Poets Society is one of Sidious' favorite films.

In fact, every morning on the Death Star, he made Vader stand on his desk and shout "Oh Captain, my captain!"

6. Palpy560

Palpy560 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2005
    Yeah he gets into their heads, no mention of the scream though.
    I always thought of that is like a Sidious "battle cry" or something. The novel mentions no use of Force power through his voice. I think he was just REALLY mad at them, and had to get into killer mode. Notice that before he does the jump he goes down a little, (to prep for the jump, yes) but I think he was also sort of getting all dark inside and just unleashed all that anger in the form of a really demonic cry as he corkscrewed across the room and up the steps.....
    To DESTROY his foolish foes. [face_skull]

7. poker

poker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Yeah but if you listen closely, you hear a powerful and scrary scream as he jumps and rolls, and then another sound while he is charging the Jedi... A sound I never heard before in Star Wars. I can't describe it.

8. Palpy560

Feb 11, 2005
    Try. Please try to describe what you mean.[face_praying]

9. Palpy560

Feb 11, 2005
    That other noise I heard it too. It's sort of like
    "It's treason then. AAAAAAAAARRRRWWRAAAAAWWWWWW (Weird noise)"
    But I'm not sure if that's exactly what you mean.
    In any case, I always thought those Jedi were frozen stiff, with fear, with shock, whatever. Sometimes things happen and you just can't seem to do or say anything even though you know you should. Sometimes in a moment of shock, you just CAN'T act on what you should.
    They all see Palps due his "RRAAAAAWRAAH" thing and its just like "woe What the??, gee gosh!!!" Then, the first one gets stabbed, the other is in shock from his death and there is only 1 second or 2 seconds of time between the first stab and his death, Fisto gets something like 6 seconds, but he actually but up a saber stroke or two before death. Look, if your shocked, and have 1 or 2 seconds of time to act, you can't act that fast. Even if they stood or did nothing, NO ONE can lift a saber in 1 second and put it in an effective block that fast. It's like stab, "Oh N..AAAHH"

10. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    It was a kiai, yoda does it in AOTC. Maybe he should have yelled "Judo chop!"

11. Palpy560

Feb 11, 2005
    uhhh......right.

12. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Seriously, it was a kiai, although I'm sure there's a Star Wars term for it. Focusing all your energy and spirit, shouting out from deep inside in order to make the opponent freeze in fear or shock at the second you strike. Makes sense.

13. Master_Kenobi1138

Master_Kenobi1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2005
    So what lightsaber form does palpatine use anyway?

14. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    Thanks.:D

But to tell you the truth, I think all of these two on one, (or 4 on 1) fights are a bad idea.

They never seem to accomplish anything.

It seems like the more people you have around you, the more of a handicap it is to you instead of your opponent.

If I was swordfighting with someone I think I'd prefer to not have any help...I mean its already hard enough to take down your opponent, but to have to make sure you dont strike down your comrade seems like an unnecessary concern, and only benefits the opponent.

15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    To answer your question Master_Kenobi1138:

Form IV. Palpatine used a Sith variant of this saber technique, which included stabs and wide swings.

16. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    About Palpatine's scream when he was spinning in mid-air. If you can listen closely his yell overlaps by a demonic more sinister yell. He preps up for the jump and raises his lightsaber with his two hands. Then you hear his normals scream for a while then it overlaps bya more deeper scarier scream. And when he brings his lightsaber to his neck for a stab at Agen Kolar you can hear him making this "RRrr" noise and it sounded like somthing unnatural. Especially when he was doing the flips with mace windu he sounded different. Including the "I AM the senate." line and "No,no,no..You will Die!" But his fighting style was a Sith variant of form IV:Ataru. He used stabs and wide swings and also performed acrobatic moves.

17. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    You're welcome, and I always enjoy reading your posts, especially in the prequel forum. (especially the pro maul ones ;) )

The two on one fights as well as the four one ones were, theoratically shown for a number of different reasons:

1) Exciting/thrilling swordplay
    2) Show the power of the sith.
    3) Fanboy appeal (the fans really want to see sith kick some rear end)

Overall they were successful; the only ones that did not look good were dooku in aotc (though that was not a real two on one; obi and ani took turns in that fight) and palps vs four jedi (horrible execution in the beginning).

Maul vs jedi and dooku vs jedi pt 2 (in rots) were spectacular fights, and I really enjoyed both. The purpose of the maul fight especially, was as lucas said, to show the abilities of the jedi/sith in their prime, instead of tired, broken men flailing about in the OT.

But I do see you point ofcourse, lol, it is true that usually one fighter always gets knocked down, if not both/all. Obi-Wan especially, seems to shine when he is alone and against overwhelming odds. (he truly dominated that fight vs grievous and dozens of his hencmen on utapuu, as well as the fight vs anakin at the end of rots)

Also, one thing is that palps vs posse ought to have been shot outdoors, or in the senate chamber. Even if the scene was choreographed excellent-ly, 4 people with swords taking on on man with sword are at a disadvantage in such a small space; mace and posse should have waited for palps to exit his office so he would loose that advantage.

Its interesting to see how the sith, unlike the jedi, always choose their battlefield so as to have the maximum advantage. Sidious deliberately told anakin his identitiy, then waited in his chambers for the jedi to come, knowing their numbers would be their folly in such a small space. Maul met the jedi in the bowels of the palce, where he knew he would be free to use the saber-staff in conjunction with his unique flowery fighting style, both of which require a lot of room to maneuvere. Dooku, to some extent, also chooses places where there are plenty of objects to fling about with the force.

Out of the sith only anakin/vader, both in rots and the OT never bothers with fighting on specific terrain; which is probably why he never really dominates in a duel. ( except for ep 5. but then again that was against a padawan trained for a few months only)

18. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    [Darth Sidious] "RIIIIIISE" [/Darth Sidious]

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    You shouldn't do that. It's considered spam. Say something meaningful when you bump up a thread.

20. GrievousKiller

GrievousKiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2005
    You forgot about speed and acrobatics, too.

21. Sith_Windu

Sith_Windu Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2005
    Does anyone know what the stunt saber blade is made out of? I heard its from carbon fiber rods.

22. GrievousKiller

GrievousKiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2005
    I think maybe the regular plastic things you find in toys r us. They use the computer to make it glow.

23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    GrievousKiller
    Posted:

SithStarSlayer posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To answer your question Master_Kenobi1138:

Form IV. Palpatine used a Sith variant of this saber technique, which included stabs and wide swings.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You forgot about speed and acrobatics, too.

Ahhh but that is what Form IV [i]IS[/i] my fellow poster! Ataru is based on Acrobatics and speed. That quote is from Wikipedia, regarding Sidious Saber style.

Won't do it again [i][hl=black][color=lightblue][b]darth sinister[/b][/color][/hl][/i], my bad.

24. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    I think that the "Sith Yell" is connected to strange sounds that Sidious makes during the knighting of Darth Vader later (GOOOOOOOOOOOD, etc...).

It's almost like he's channelling the entire dark side of the force in these scenes (I'm not suggesting he actually doing that - it's just what it looks/sounds like)

25. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    It would be fine to suggest that... the novel backs up your claim. I know, I know, me and the **** novel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.