Sidious' fighting style

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by r8hitman, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    In ANH, they used wooden poles modifed with reflective material to help create the white core. For TESB and ROTJ, metal poles were used instead as they were more durable and the rotoscoping process had advanced enough to forego the materials from ANH, which made it easier for the rotoscoping process to be done. For TPM and AOTC, colored aluminum rods were used. This created a more balanced weapon and made it totally easy for ILM to rotoscope the blades in. During the making of ROTS, carbon fiber rods were used, taken from the design of a fishing pole. This resulted in a sturdier pole, which didn't bend as easily and were much lighter. Thus the fights were faster, especially Anakin vs Obi-wan. The new rods were color coated for ILM's benefit.
  2. thechozn1 Jedi Master

star 4
    They certainly don't use the plastic on the stunt sabers like the ones you get in a store. I have the Master Replica Vader and Windu (with Luke's ROTJ on the way[face_money_eyes] ) and it's way sturdier than what you find in the kids section but still wouldn't hold up against a big beating. They probably use some type of reinforced fibrous material that won't splinter easily but can take a blow.
  3. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I like the fact that people on here bring up the novel, I've learned a lot about the novel, in fact, I feel as if I've already read it. The important parts anyway!
    (Mace channels enjoyment of battle into vapaad, Yoda knows he already lost the battle with Sidious before he was even born, etc...)

Doesn't Sidious get inside the Jedi's minds in the book? I seem to remember people who've read the novel mentioning that he talks smack telepathically while he's flying through the air...is this true?
  4. thechozn1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't recall that Yoshi and i'm short on time so I can't look it up. Mainly what I remember from the arresting scene is a lot more dialogue. One of my favorite lines from Sids write before he jumps at them is "Fools, do you think that fear you feel is mine?" The part when he flies at them makes it sound like it was just a complete blur. That's why I tend to think GL had it slowed down for the movie.
  5. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    yoshifett
    Posted:

"I think that the "Sith Yell" is connected to strange sounds that Sidious makes during the knighting of Darth Vader later (GOOOOOOOOOOOD, etc...).

It's almost like he's channelling the entire dark side of the force in these scenes (I'm not suggesting he actually doing that - it's just what it looks/sounds like)"

Yeah I totally agree with you on that. I have read the novel and after viewing the film 8 times it seems more apparent that was Lucas' intent. Here is my reasoning:

1.) All those weird almost breathlike sounds from the "Naming Of Vader" scene, IMO it seems almost like Anakin gets posessed by the darkside.

2.) The thing that really strikes a cord with me is Yoda's line in the Temple to Kenobi, "Consumed by Darth Vader he is."

3.) Also lends a lot to the line Vader spoke to Luke on Endor, "That name no longer holds any meaning for me."

4.) To which Luke replied, "Then my father is truly dead."

5.) Oh and Yoda's line to Luke on Dagobah also lends considerable weight to this idea: "Once you start down the path to Darkside, forever will it dominate your destiny."

/>
  6. poker Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yep that's it.

1) Scream and jump
    2) Scream overlapped
    3) Then the view point switch to BEHIND Sids while he is charging upstairs. Right at that moment you can hear a strange sound and Jedi are like statues, except Mace. NEver heard that sound before in SW. It sounds a little like a thing that would spin really fast in the air.
  7. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Poker, has anyone ever mentioned that your name is a good description of Sidious' fighting style? ;)

[image=http://photos1.blogger.com/img/259/4312/1024/193.jpg]
  8. JawaStew Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hehehe! Feigning Weakness, Hidden Lightsaber.

I think it was a brilliant move to have him fight with a saber - same as Yoda. I cringed a little at the notion of either in a saber duel, but it worked beautifully on all counts. I remember thinking as a kid that had Yoda ever got a shot at the Emperor he'd have trashed him. Glad to find out I was wrong, as it turns out!

I think prior to the PT, the tendency of course was to view Yoda and Sidious as somehow 'above' lightsaber combat (ie. All-force battles). Ultimately, it would have been a grave injustice I think. Just as it would have been a shame to see either of them suck with a lightsaber. I tend to think that lightsaber mastery is basically going to equal Force mastery (rightly or wrongly) so I see no problem with a Kermit or Mr. Burns as deadliest, provided they have the Force power to back them up - which they most certainly do.
  9. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Word Jawastew. I've always thought that Jedi/Sith used the force to enhance their saber combat, so it's really a joy to see both sidious and yoda doing that in this film.

I guess the Emperor's derisive comment about lightsabers being "a jedi weapon" is somewhat misleading. Can you imagine that? The Emperor being misleading!!?!?!
  10. barnsthefatjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No, he says "take your Jedi weapon". He's not deriding sabers, just those that belong to Jedi. ;)
  11. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No, he says "take your Jedi weapon". He's not deriding sabers, just those that belong to Jedi.

Hmmm...that quote does seem to imply that sabers are a Jedi's weapon though. Perhaps he's talking trash because he can attack with Lightning while all the Jedi have are their sabers.
  12. JawaStew Jedi Knight

star 3
    Word Yoshifett!

Maybe he's being derisive to Luke in general; a la
    "You've got a Jedi's weapon, but actually you are a sissy. P.S. My Sith Saber is much bigger than yours."
  13. SidiousElectrician Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am not sure if this has been mentioned before but and it may not be about sidious' fighting style but when mace and co. arrived to arrest palpatine and he stands up and reveals his saber he ignites his saber with his index finger and i am pretty sure he does the same in the yoda duel and also at the start of both duels he reveals his saber from his sleeve now why would he do this to yoda? After being hit by sith lightning there isnt much more that can surprise you and when he does ignite his saber he puts out his arms then brings them together and it looks very unorthadox and unusual.
  14. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Sidious was all about illusion, his style was meant to draw an opponent in. He dueled the two very best that the Jedi Order had to offer in saber combat. At the end of the day, Sidious was the one still standing.

My "Favorite" line after seeing the movie 8 times, is the one that I still laugh at:

"I have waited a very long time for this, my Little Green Friend..."
  15. poker Jedi Knight

star 3
  16. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Thanks Poker I didn't catch my omision till after the edit option was expired. Too much caffiene, makes think faster than I can Type! LOL
  17. DarthKakarot Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Seems to me like a mix of form 2, 3, and 7.
  18. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    Looking over the descriptions of lightsaber fighting styles, wouldnt you guys say that Mace uses Form V instead of VII??:confused:

(Oh yeah, and it's obvious that the "posse" uses form VI.:p )
  19. farrellg Force Ghost

star 4
    I recently talked to someone who said that people feel the Emperor's fighiting style wasn't that spectacular, even with Michael Byrne doing the more complicated moves. Byrne was fighting when Palpatine cut down the first two Jedi and dueled Mace and Kit at the same time. He might have done some of the fighting when Palpatine was driving Mace down the corridor, but I'm not sure how much. Most of the Yoda duel was probably done by Michael Byrne.

Do you think that Palpatine's fencing double wasn't that great, and that's why people weren't too impressed by his fighting style? Did Christensen, McGregor, or Ray Park look better than Michael Byrne did?
  20. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well you're talking about two different things. The combat ability of the actor and the character's fighting style. I don't think the displeasure with Sidious' fighting is because of Byrne, there is some wonky CGI in there, but that isn't his fault. But the only people who seem to have a real problem with Sidious fighting are those who expected more from him. Having gone into it with no preconceptions, I can say that I personally wasn't disappointed by the way his fights look.

And it doesn't do a whole lot of good to compare Bryne to any other actor. Martial arts is what Ray Park does, so there's no comparison. And Bryne didn't have the months of training that Hayden and Ewan did. Nick even went so far to say that Hayden is one of the best swordfighters he's ever seen, including professionals. But really this has very little to do with fighting style, which is a choreography thing, not a skill thing.
  21. sithrules70 Jedi Master

star 4
    palpatine practiced the "stab the guy in front of you " style.

and talking seriously i doubt there is a concrete answer to this thread
  22. mandragora Force Ghost

star 4
    I think Christensen, McGregor and Park looked flashier than Sidious (or Mace, for that matter), and some people take this as an indication that they are "better" than, for example, Michael Byrne. Well, I don't know how many people here have a background in fencing (or any martial art discipline in general) - I've talked to a friend who has trained fencing for over ten years, and from what he says it seems that while it is more spectacular to do a lot of saber whirling, it is not a very efficient fighting style, since a lot of energy is invested, and thus it isn't necessarily "better". Gillard said about Sidious' that "he will fight less than you" - he's more efficient, which isn't "worse", it's just not as spectacular on screen.
  23. Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling

star 5
    The Making of Book explains how there was a certain breakdown in communication between Lucas and Gillard over this scene.
    In some senses, what we got to see onscreen was a compromise (which, don't get me wrong, can be said of virtually every scene in every film to a certain degree).
    I think you have to bear in mind that what Gillard describes is what he was trying to acheive for several months on a load of crash mats.
    What is captured on film and what is edited together may not be representative of what Gillard felt he was supposed to be rehearsing.

Either way - the intention is still there onscreen.
    Palpatine is an exceptional duellist with a unique style.

I certainly wasn't disappointed by any of the duels in ROTS.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.