main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Colleague returned from holiday in Thailand, with two bags of milk candy flavoured with the Durian fruit.

Belatedly noting that another colleague provided a Youtube link about this unknown, to us, fruit; I do declare that vids of people trying this Durian for the first time, are hilarious.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Chyntuck likes this.
  2. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Everyone's too old to work 16 hr days.

And they always say that Death comes in threes for famous people, but with Art Bell, Bruno Sammartino, R. Lee Ermy, Avicii, etc. all dying in a week... I feel like I'm back in 2016 again.

3. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    At work they have now decided that taking a picture of our work schedule is apparently a violantion of data protection and so they forbade it. Which makes me pretty nervous as I fear misremembering something and in general being without proof of my work times should it come to problems.
    On the bright side I've the day off tomorrow, as wellas monday giving me a nice extended weekend, before work starts again.

4. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    When I worked at Party City, I always took a little piece of paper with me on the day that schedules were released for the next week.

But then I got paranoid about whether or not I wrote everything down correctly... [face_dunno]

Anedon likes this.
  5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    We're gonna need a bigger couch... :p

I've started my weekend of couch-potato hood. His Majesty thinks this is the best plan the human has ever had.

6. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Yeah, that's what I'm currently expiriencing as well.
    I've now written down my schedule for next week on a piece of paper and on my notepad on my cellphone and I'm still a bit nervous if I got it correctly.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    What data is on the schedule that needs protecting?

Our work schedule is a basically a huge piece of graph paper with our names on the left side and the work dates on the top. The manager writes in D, A or N (Day, afternoon or night shifts) in the blocks corresponding to the dates you work. The scheduled is scanned and emailed out to all of the workers. Of course it doesn't stay that way long. We are allowed to switch or give away shifts. We have to fill out the paperwork and the manager makes the changes on a master schedule.

I have my schedule in my phone with Google Calendar. Every time I go to work I make sure my phone calendar work dates correspond to those on the master schedule. I absolutely make sure that any switches are changed on the master schedule. I would be irritated if the person who I traded shifts with did not show up and the schedule still had me as working that day.

Does your schedule have personal information on it? It just seems strange that the schedule can't be photographed.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha and Anedon like this.
  8. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    @Jedi_Lover
    Well apparently its to prevent us from spreading around the schedules of the other workers. There aren't any personal informations on it as far as I know, only our names and the times we work/days we have off.
    So I guess its to "protect" the data/schedule of the other workers though I don't really get why this is a concern.

9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That is weird...although it can be a little irritating when I get calls from other workers saying, "Can you work for me next Tuesday?" and I say I am busy and then they say, "I'm looking at the schedule and you aren't working and it wouldn't be overtime." Then I have to say, "I have a previous commitment." And that usually ends the conversation, but every once-in-a-while somebody will ask, "What are you doing?" :rolleyes: Like whatever I had planned couldn't possibly be as important as what they have to get the day off to do.

Anedon likes this.
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Okay, make some more room on the couch again. I got up early to try to work on some stuff, BUUUUUTT I ended up just procrastinating by doing some clean up around the house.

Then my mom ended up having the day off so she took me PANNNNTS shopping. We went to one place (The Bay) they were having a huge sale and they had a lot of the sort of thing I was looking for (more comfortable lounging pants) but nothing seemed to fit. I think I tried on 10 pairs of pants (which was exhausting) but my butt is too big and my legs are too long. I managed to find one pair that fit, and they are really nice (almost like a thicker legging crossed with a jogger). Then we went to Roots and bought 2 pairs of sweatpants (might not look great, but at least they are comfortable) but one pair is baby blue. I have no idea what I'm going to wear with them because I don't do colours, let alone pastels. But I like them. They are different.

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    My son had to explain to me who this Avicci was. :( Sad to see another young life cut short.

Seems so silly. Who would you give someone else's schedule to anyway?

Anedon likes this.
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That's ridiculous. If they want other people to not see other people's schedules then they need to send it out individually and not post it. I take a picture of our schedule every month. I put it in my calendar, but I have a picture so I can double check. This place is sounding like it might not be a great place to work. :(

Ugh... it should stop at "I'm busy." I hate people that go even to the 'well you aren't on the schedule' step, much less ask me what I'm doing. It's none of their business and makes me not want to ever do them a favor.

13. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    @JediMaster_Jen, @mavjade
    Yeah its ridiculous, apparently schedules fall under personal data, which falls under the general data protection, or at least that´s what they said. Also my company is apparently not the only one, at least here in germany, were this rule is in place. But I don´t get it, its just silly. Taking a picture allows you to easily double check and prevent any mistakes.

Kahara and mavjade like this.
  14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @Anedon - just take a picture of the schedule. Just don't volunteer that your memory is so great because you have this picture.

If you can copy the schedule first, and cross out the other people's names, OR the company (increasingly suspicious a'holes) "pseudonymises" the thing in the first place, by reducing names to initials, or agreed fictitious names, everything should be fine.

I am doing some contact and survey work, preparatory to the GDPR (general data protection regulations), coming in on 25 May, and my pre-training understanding is that you are probably fine taking a picture or copying it, but forwarding that picture to anyone externally, and without encryption, would count as "processing the personal data", and then you and the organisation are ******.

There are some seemingly silly aspects that defy logic, but tech companies have been taking the mickey for a long time with our data, and GDPR is an attempt to reign that in.

Take that Facebook scandal. There is NO WAY that 378,000 people (this number may be slightly out) taking a personality quiz, should expose the profile data for EIGHTY SEVEN MILLION users!

Kahara, Ewok Poet and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I only because familiar with Avicii when I assigned @Briannakin one of his songs for the Chart Hits challenge and that was deep stuff, too deep for the genre. Had no idea that the guy obviously had some demons. :( Gone too soon, deffo.

@Anedon - These people sound worse than my friend's bosses at SITEL. :(

Had a GREAT WordPress meetup yesterday. Met some extremely important people and I'm 90% sure that I'll be one of the WordCamp Europe's official photographers. Then T. and M. got me out of my apartment at midnight and we spent two hours wandering the streets with my dog. Mom is concerned. Heck, I spent so, so much time isolated, I NEED this.

That, and I've been listening to pretty much everything the Cute!Guy has done in his career as a singer and multi-instrumentalist. I guess my criteria for men are: born in 1970s, hinting trouble in lyrics, awkward, tenors, scruffy, record producers, guitarists, preferably multi-instrumentalists. T. and M. say that he looks like a Syrian mafioso (?!) and/or a dude drinking in front of a general store in a small village and spewing out deep wisdom. O_O

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  16. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    For the first time in a while, I have a Sunday off. :)

Sith-I-5, Kahara, Chyntuck and 3 others like this.
  17. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Congrats! :)

Kahara likes this.
  18. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I showed up at my local gaming store around 5:30pm yesterday evening for a Pokémon TCG tournament and then stuck around for the midnight Magic: The Gathering prerelease event. Left at 5:15am, went to Waffle House for breakfast, then got home at 6:15am. Never went to bed, so in about half an hour, I will have been up for 24 straight hours. Probably I'll crash into bed around 6pm or so and then sleep for 16 hours, like I usually do after an all-nighter.

Kahara and whiskers like this.
  19. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    That sounds terrific. Congrats, EP!:)

Enjoy!!:)

I'm jealous. No Waffle Houses here in California. :( You're a brave man, too, staying up all night. I don't think I could mange that anymore.

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Congratulations @Ewok Poet on the WordPress meet-and-greet. @};- And @CaraJinn you're amazing! You have such looooong work days but still manage to entertain us with Obi nums. =P~ :)

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  21. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Far from the first time I've done it, though at age 31, I'm slowly approaching the last time. I used to be able to just pull an all-nighter whenever I wanted on a whim and power through the entire next day like I had had a full night's sleep. Now I've reached the point of only doing it once every three months for the Magic prereleases, and I'm exhausted by late morning and don't trust myself to drive after reaching that point.

Kahara and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  22. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Mr Chyn suggests we get an L-shaped one. He's preemptively claiming the short section but we can have the rest. (He and I actually spent the day in this configuration, dozing on and off during a SW marathon.)

@Sith-I-5 I had durian ice cream in France once. The sweet-and-stinky combo was appalling. I'd probably like it on a tray of very ripe cheese though.

Kahara likes this.
  23. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Fortunately not all days are like that. (If so, there wouldn't be any CaraJinn 8-} ). Today has been used in great company with my couch, the TV and some reading. Maybe I can gather courage enough to show up at the gym tomorrow. [face_thinking]

24. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I haven't been able to do all-nighters since I was a teenager (then again, it's not like I exactly have reasons to do them now). I like sleep too much.

Speaking of sectionals (what those L shaped couches are called), my sister moved into her new apartment this week and bought a sectional. I am so jealous because it looks so comfy.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  25. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I always wanted one of those L-shaped couches too, and what happened?? I chose to buy an appartment with pitched roof so it was no way to make such a couch fit in. [face_sigh]

Chyntuck and Kahara like this.