main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Not in this language or, as far as I know, most Slavic languages.

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Thanks to those that have and will weigh in; my hat is off to those that translate their work into English to reach an English audience.

Sent from my Rebel Base using Tapatalk

3. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Well, I believe most of us actually don't do that. We write it in English originally. At least I do. If I were to write it in my native language and then translate it I assume there would be approximately zero readers. The language would be too weird. Even if I'm aware of the phenomenon there would be sentences and expressions that would be "Norwegian with English words". I don't claim that my English is flawless, but believe me - it would have been far worse if I had translated into it. When I write a story I think in English. I sometimes (well quite often actually) have to check and double check single words with google translate and sometimes also with the Oxford dictionary when google's suggestion seems too weird.

4. -thor-

-thor- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I agree with CaraJinn. For some unfathomable reason I find it much easier to write in english than in my native language. And, sometimes, things simply can't be translated because there is no cultural equivalent. Take for example Lando Calrissian's ship Lady Luck. There is no translation into german (my native language) that doesn't sound totally corny, stupid and out of place (the translation in the official books was just like that) … but more so once you add that there is no personification of luck in the german cultural range. The original meaning simply gets lost in the translation because the deeper meaning doesn't exist in the other language.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What did they use?

Personally I would have used Frau Fortuna which I admit is a direct translation of the Swedish "Fru Fortuna" which is what we up here use for Lady Luck in normal speak

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  6. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    In that example I'd go for the German "non-translation" any time. In Norway we could use "Fru Fortuna" as a standard expression, not unlike the Swedish one, but if we made a direct translation, and someone (including myself) would most likely be prone to do just that, then it would be something like "Fru Flaks" which sounds absolutely ridiculous even in Norwegian. 8-}

7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Not that I can find it now, to confirm my memories, I'm pretty certain that I had the Original Trilogy novelisation omnibus in German, and that all the vessels of Vader's Death Squadron, Avenger, etc., were left untouched in English, amidst a sea of German. That could be a policy with German SW books, not to attempt to translate ship names.

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  8. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    It was "Glücksdame" which is about a 1:1 translation of the words, just without any inspiration, grace or eloquence. Though I must admit finding a better one is hard to factually impossible (another reason not to translate ship names).

Generally speaking capital ships like Star Destroyers retained their original names but smaller ships got the translation treatment. But then I have not read a Star Wars book in german for more than a decade so I don't know how things were/are in the more recent works.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have seen the Swedish version of that, "turdamen", used in some conversations but the association I do with that word don't really feel Lando to me, and it's not really how I should translate Lady Luck and I would prorobly try to find something else then "lady luck" if I was translating "turdamen" to English.

10. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Thanks @Sith-I-5
    Today I needed to be even faster as there is less time for the salad bar on saturday, but I, somehow, managed to get it done in time, without anoing my coworker, so we could finish our work together. Though I still have problems cleaning the glass roof of the bar and accidentialy got us the wrong type of garbadge bag for the juicer but I feels that I have improved at late shift since monday. Next week I have late shift again this time with another coworker who seems quite nice so I hope it will turn out better than this week.

My Thanks to you guys for the help and support this week. :)

11. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Yeah, you don't give yourself enough credit, @Anedon . :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I love seeing how things translate, or don't translate from one language to another. I love language and think it's absolutely fascinating, I'm just absolutely terrible at it. My brother (who is older) took all of the language ability from the gene pool. I don't know if he still can but at one time he was at least passingly fluent in Spanish, French, Esperanto, and German, and could get by in Hebrew. Me, I took 3 years of Spanish in high school and never could speak enough to hold a real conversation.

I was okay at American Sign Language (at the very basic level) because you can still think in English, though it's still quite different since you aren't going direct word for word and there's a lot of facial expression, different sentence structure, and grammar. Unfortunately I was only able to take 1 semester years ago and so I've lost most of what I knew. :(

Lady_Misty, Kahara, Ewok Poet and 2 others like this.
  13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm horrible at languages (I can barely speak English :p). I was taught Sign Language as a little kid, didn't keep at it thanks to the development of communication technology, and my father going blind, so I've lost most of it (I'd like to pick it back up, but there just isn't the opportunity to learn here, let alone use it conversationally... however, my sister and I still sometimes use what we know). And I leaned Québécois in school and after my mom met my (former) step father, but since his family and now him (thank God) are no longer in my life, I've completely lost all of it. I also learned an AAC language called Minspeak, and was completely fluent in it to the point of getting high school credits for it, buuuut, again, development of technology had made it basically irrelevant for my life.

I'm trying to lose a bit of weight (studying from home over the past year has made me put on a few extra pounds [face_blush]) so today I went on a walk with my mom and her new boyfriend (really nice guy, but I went to elementary school with his two daughters and we... were very different people and it seems like we still might have different values). Anyways, we walked around a park, which was nice, but my arms are killing me. Bubble bath. I want a bubble bath.

Kahara, mavjade and AzureAngel2 like this.
  14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Can I throw in how impressed I am by anyone who can write fan fiction in a 2nd language? I can speak French (poorly), but can't write in it. So, you all are amazing!! =D=

@Anedon, I have been thinking, and I think you are slow simply because the job is still new to you and you aren't yet confident in your ability to do it well, so you are going more slowly in order to make sure you get it right. I think the longer you are there, the more confident you will be and the quicker you will be able to do things. Of course, co-workers who give you conflicting advice won't help. But just keep doing your best.

15. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    I feel I'm going to be a really annoyed customer if Norwegian Netflix doesn't get this one. Too bad they will be dubbing it, if so. Obi-Wan just needs to be voiced by James Arnold Taylor... Norwegian dubbing won't do. [face_waiting]

jcgoble3, Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  16. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    I feel your pain. I'm on strict Doctor's orders to lose weight, too. So I not only changed what I eat months ago (i.e. I am trying to avoid salt wherever I can, it's been an interesting lesson to learn where salt is hidden in ridiculous quantities) but recently I've begun to do my 20 klicks a day on my old exercise machine. Nothing world moving so far (just a little over 1 kg lost). And this time my weaker self gets drowned out by heavy metal when it wants to whisper "No need to do that now …" [face_shame_on_you]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Mistress_Renata and AzureAngel2 like this.
  17. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    * deleted post about losing weight

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  18. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Hey, really random: Does anyone else have like a room that specifically for writing?

Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  19. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Not really, and to some extent "yes". [face_tee_hee] My computer is placed in my guest room so I sit there when I write, but of course I also sit there when I'm surfing and paying bills and other computer related things as well.

Kahara likes this.
  20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I live in New York City, we don't have the space for that! :p
    But also, I can't write in just one place, I have to move around to different rooms, sometimes the floor...
    If we lived in a house, I'd love to have a library, but I love living in the city too much to move to a place were that would be possible.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @mavjade - After seeing what you had to contend with, Appalachian to American English, I can forgive you not managing to do a foreign language very well.

For some reason, my creativity for writing works best at my work PC, rather than at home; however I'm really not allowed to connect my PC to the Boards, so it takes a whole rigmarole to get any of that stuff posted.

I don't have a space at home, specifically for writing, no.

mavjade , AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  22. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I don't need to lose too much weight, but I kinda gained the "freshman 15" my first year of my masters (really from just not having to physically go anywhere), so I bought a rowing machine, just a cheap one from walmart, to make sure I can get some bit of activity in a week. So far it is going well. I just want to lose 15-20 lbs by the time Christmas rolls around.

No. When my sister and I were looking for a house, I kinda wanted to get one with a two bedroom basement suite so I could use one for an office, but we found this place and fell in love, even though the suite had only one bedroom. After she moved out, I thought about moving upstairs, but I didn't have the need for 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, nor did I want to clean that much space. Nor did I want to drag my butt up and down a flight of stairs. It makes more sense for me to rent it out, though after I figure out what I'm doing after I grad, I'm going to find somewhere a bit bigger than what I have.

Grrr. So for the past few weeks, I've been getting these annoying headaches. The pain isn't that bad, but whenever I try to do anything involving text or a screen, it instantly gets SO MUCH WORSE. I went to the eye doctor almost 2 weeks ago and he gave me a new prescription. So I bought new glasses last week but they aren't going to be ready for another 2 weeks. In the meantime I'm getting these headaches every 2-3 days and they are starting to drive me mad. I'm really hoping new glasses will solve this issue.

23. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Wait?! I THOUGHT I WAS THE BEST. :eek: :eek: :eek:

;)

Same for me, just change it to Belgrade. :p

24. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    I have a writing room -- it's just that I also sleep there and it contains all my stuff as well. :p So not really.

25. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I have an office that once was the family computer room...but then I bought a MAC tabletop and everybody (except me) got frustrated trying to use it. So now it is my office. Occasionally my oldest son comes in to use his laptop because he says the WiFi is better in the office (router is there).

@mavjade I have you beat when it comes to being bad with foreign languages. I took three years of Spanish. I also spent every summer from 4th grade to 9th grade living with my Spanish grandmother who didn't speak a word of English. I also spent every weekend with her during that time. I could not pick up a word of the language. My grandmother was so frustrated with me. She thought I was stupid. Ironically, she spent 60 years living in the USA and never learned English. I guess we both were stupid. :p

mavjade likes this.