main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks! I don't have the job yet so we shall see if it happens!

I did get an in person interview for Tuesday, though. :D

Ewok Poet - Thanks for the good luck! I'm so glad you are feeling better! With regards to moderating, remember that you have to do well for yourself first, so don't feel bad if you need to step away for a few days, or something like that. That sounds like a really stressful situation and even though it's online, that stress is still real.

No, you were right the first time. ;) As a country we are very reactionary, (unless it deals with guns). For example, 15 years ago one guy tried to blow up a plane with a bomb in his shoe and we've had to take our shoes off at the airport ever since.

Though Chyn is probably right, you probably can buy it in really reduced strengths here, but I don't know that I want to look right now after double checking the shoe bomber date because it would probably put me on a Homeland Security watch list. :p

AzureAngel2, Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016

As paranoid as they're getting about this stuff, it's almost surprising that they don't make people go commando on airplanes because of the Underwear Bomber. :p

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    This is me when I wake up far too early and with a cricked neck on a Saturday morning – like, for instance, today.

[​IMG]

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    have no ide who originally made this

5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Think I saw a photo somewhere online of a young lady who went through the TSA line in her bikini & a pair of sandals as her personal protest.

6. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Well, it would be provocative.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    This song is probably going to decide the fate of my SF story:

AzureAngel2, whiskers and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    So, which thread can I list three story titles, and ask which one I should use?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    (to mavjade, Briannakin) Wasn't the Scribble Pad for discussion of specific problems relating to things we were working on?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Sith-I-5 Yeah, the scribble pad is probably the most appropriate place

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you both.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Caption contest. The obvious one is "The Princess and the Frog", but I trust fanfic to do better.

[​IMG]

13. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    It took me some hours to make my own fanfic update for the Shanty Challenge, because there are too many good writers in the fan fic thread and too many stories that interest me.

I also managed to update my fanart with more Disney-SW crossovers.

But now I need to leave for the fitness centre, after all the effort and love DarthUncle took into preparing my bag for me. [face_love]

I also had too much Greek food & wine last night with RL friends. (My husband persuaded me to go and now the guest list of our Sinterklaas/ Saint Nikolaus party contains a very cute & funny Buddhist from Vietnam. Could not help myself but to invite that guy who is a friend of a friend.)

My dad is still in intensive care, fighting the sepsis and the pneumonia.

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for the update Azure. Friends and fanfic provide good distractions. ;) Although sounds like the aftermath of too much food :p is something you would have been happy without. :rolleyes:

LOL DarthUncle is a keeper. @};-

Chyntuck and AzureAngel2 like this.
  15. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    This is why I married this man. Actually I wanted to go to the fitness centre in the morning, but when he wanted to prepare the TV deceiver for his Motor Sport he saw that a Jane Austen movie was online. And we ended up on the sofa watching "Northanger Abby". [face_love]

But now he asks me to be reasonable and go to bed because I have to get up at 5:45 am again...

16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    My uncle (or rather distant relative) in the US passed away this morning. He was 101 years old and his health was declining, so I can't say it came as a surprise, but I'm still sad to think he's gone. When you think of his life, it's something out of a history book: he was born in the Ottoman Empire, he fought in Albania in 1940, he emigrated to the US on a boat that arrived in Ellis Island... And he never bothered to write things down or let his children and grandchildren record him, so that little bit of history is gone with him.

My grandmother of course took it very pragmatically: "He was even older than me, what did you expect?"

Mistress_Renata, Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] That's quite the comment there. ;) What'd you expect? My goodness, that is a shame too! When I was reading that I was thinking--what a bit/lot of history he could relate! Those kinds of memoirs of past times are fascinating and irreplaceably dear to family. [face_thinking]

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  18. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Living to 101 is quite an achievement, Chyntuck. It is too bad that nobody recorded his history. When I was young I was told to talk to a family member and get a family history for a school assignment. With my mother translating, I talked to my grandmother who was born in Spain in1891 and came to America in 1913.

Three decades later I decided to do a genealogy search on my family. Since my parents were hoarders I thought there was a chance that they kept a elementary school assignment I did when I was a preteen. Sure enough, my brother found it in a filing cabinet and sent it to me. I got a lot of information wrong, but I had names and from there I was able to get records from the Catholic church and from town records. I also found the Ellis Island records of my grandparents arriving to the US and all sorts of cousins across the United States and in Spain. That was the best school assignment I ever did.

Speaking of old people. I was talking to an old lady who was in her early to mid seventies. At some point in the conversation she said she is waiting for her mother to get off work so they could have lunch. I remember looking at her and wondering if this woman is much younger and just aged badly. lol! Nope, her ninty-six year old mother worked the register at Burger King. Wow! I hope she worked because she was lonely and not because she needed the money. [face_sigh] I would hate having to work until I died. :(

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I wrote some poems, took some photos, published the first installment of an old original fiction story, currently writing my first column for that magazine, a fic for the sea shanty challenge and rolling my eyes at somebody on ff.net who called my 2016 random crack!fic where Tarkin plays straight man to Jar Jar, Jerjerrod (who is a roba), Droopy and Piett "the level of trash he hasn't seen before". The only thing I can't seem to do is ACTUAL WORK. And the thing standing between me and job ops is completion of my portfolio. Why, why, oh why am I doing this?

I will have to tell my pdoc that I'm basically back to square one, feeling the same as I did when I first arrived to her on March 01st - depression at least in partial remission, but anxiety and self-doubt pretty strong.

The first day on duty was crazy - three people announced that they were about to kill themselves and two of them overdosed on meds, but made it. One is still being suicidal and we've been trying to find her personal data and have somebody visit her mother (she's only 22), but nothing came up so far. The third person is persistent about giving people information about the right dose of meds for their attempts and I'm pretty sure that he'll be banned.

It's been better since then, but this 51-year-old bipolar who prides himself in not taking his meds has been sending me up to ten messages per day, with random content, such as photos of rivers and churches, constantly demanding my attention. It's like I'm his mania. He has BPD on top of it (and denies that it's a thing) and that combo basically screams manic obsession. Not intending to offend anybody who has both, of course.

Oh, good luck for today! [face_peace] Glad I saw this on time! YOU WILL ACE IT! [face_dancing]

As a country we are very reactionary, (unless it deals with guns).

Not sure if I should laugh or not - it's funny and tragic at the same time.

Obi-Wan Slugnobi, help me! You're my only slime. :D

Ooookay, that was awful. But I was looking for an excuse to use the word "slime".

Chyntuck - The like was one of sympathy. Your relative had such a fulfilled life and it's wonderful that he lived to be 101. May he rest in peace! @};-

AzureAngel2 - Please, update us on your dad's condition. And it's great that your husband cares for your well-being.

Jedi_Lover - Such a sad story. :( But I'm shocked that a 96-year-old is allowed to work in USA. How come?

AzureAngel2 and Mistress_Renata like this.
  20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    By choice. Many retirees in the U.S. find, when they suddenly have seven days a week off, that they don't know what to do with all of that time. Some choose to take part-time jobs such as that, often in retail or fast food, simply to give them "something to do". It's a reason for them to get out of the house and have a sense of purpose, as well as a way to supplement their retirement savings and/or Social Security income.

My grandmother, age 90, lives on her late husband's pension plus Social Security, but until recently she also worked part-time in the summer as a gate attendant (and later as a manager) at the private beach at the lake community where she lives. She only quit that job a few years ago because she was no longer physically able to make the half-mile walk each way between her house and the gate (she never obtained a driver license). She enjoyed the job mainly for the people interactions and the time outside.

Now that she requires a cane or walker just to move around her own house, she doesn't get out of the house frequently, so she will go bat**** crazy if one of her four kids doesn't take her somewhere occasionally. Fortunately, one of her kids lives with her and another lives across the street from her, so she can pretty much get rides where she wants when she wants. But I don't want to think about what she would be like if she didn't have rides that close.

21. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Mm, I've been thinking about that. We once had a horrendous blizzard and were snowed in for two weeks. By the beginning of week 2, I was going crazy. I think I'd have to work part time after I retire, or find a volunteer job somewhere, just to keep me busy and get me off the couch and out of the house.

So sorry to hear about your uncle, Chyntuck. What a fascinating life he must have had, and think how the world changed in his lifetime. I am a great believer in saving the stories! My mother has been doing a lot of genealogical research (like Jedi_Lover), and has also been taking a writing class (her way of getting out of the house, now that she's retired). She's been writing down her stories & memories of her family growing up, like my great-grandmother who liked to steal flowers from public gardens for her own! Her argument was that they'd only get trampled on anyway. My mother was mortified and dreaded walking home with her as a child.

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm sorry about your uncle Chyntuck. But wow! 101 is amazing! That is sad he never told his story, though. :( I'm sure he had some fascinating stories to tell.

Thank you Ewok Poet! I'm pretty nervous, but I think I'm ready.
    And yeah, I agree it's both funny and tragic the relationship the US has with guns and other violence.

Ewok Poet, AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  23. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That is the answer. Senior citizens like working and being around people. At the hospital where I work at there are elderly people who volunteer to guide people to their destination at the hospital just so they can talk to people.

I heard a joke about an elderly man who worked as a greeter at Wal-Mart (guy that stands at the door and greets customers). He was an Army veteran and the manager at the store was really surprised that the elderly man would often show up late for work. One day the manager said, "John, you were in the Army, what did people say to you when you came to work late?" The old man smiled and said, "They would say, 'Morning Colonel, can I get you some coffee?'".

Okay, that is not a great joke. It is supposed to demonstrate how bad the economy is...but in reality a retired Army Colonel probably makes $60K a year retirement, so the joke was obviously invented by a non-military man. I guess it would work if the guy took the job because he was going crazy sitting at home.

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Sorry to hear about your uncle, Chyn, but, like others have said, 101 is quite the feat. And your grandma just cracks me up.

My great-grandfather lived to be 98 and was raised by his grandfather, who was best friends with, and the right hand of Louis Riel (a famed métis leader who rebelled against the early Canadian Government and was eventually hung for treason). I really wish he would have written down what he knew.

So, my mother is pissed off at me because I'm selling my upright piano. I bought this piano years ago from a couple who were moving. I played it a bit, but I'm not able to have it at my place, so it hadn't been played in years. A friend of mine is looking for a piano, so if he wants to buy mine and deal with the transportation of it, I'm all for it. Frankly, I don't want to have to deal with it when my mother moves, and I'm never going to have the space for it or the energy to deal with it when I move. So I thought I was eventually going to have to give it away for free, so getting some cash for it will be a bonus. BUT MY MOTHER has become strangly attached to it because she wants it for her future grandkids.

This was the woman who was yelling at me the other day for having some of my clothes (my prom dress and my bridesmaids dress - no I didn't burn it) taking up space at her place!

25. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Level of despair, 350 squared:

Just told a friend who weighs 40 kg more than me and has to take antipsychotics for the rest of her life that I'd gladly swap lives, because she has a good job. And this is what it's like to be inspired but terrified, boys and girls.

Briannakin - Your mom is weird. O_O

AzureAngel2 likes this.