main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah...not going there.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Jedi_Lover- I'm sorry you didn't get the job. :( [:D]

Azure Angel - I'm sorry you are unwell at this already hard time. *giant hugs*

EP- I'm sorry you've had a rough day!

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans. I have to share with you a tradition in my family. It predates my understanding of the reference, but I am sharing the one with you that doesn't really need knowledge of the show. For Bri, who I know understands the other reference not posted here: HE GAVE HIM THE KNIFE!!! (I've only written that out about ten times today.)

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    HE GAVE HIM THE KNIFFFFFEEEEEE!!!!!!

Excuse me while I go cry.

AzureAngel2 and mavjade like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I...don't get it...should I attempt to?

But I give you this:

Impressive to all 12-year-olds, like me. 8-}

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    No, not the HE GAVE HIM THE KNIFE if you haven't seen The West Wing, which is why I didn't post the clip that goes with it. The video I posted shouldn't need knowledge of the show, but it probably requires knowledge of American Thanksgiving.

The knife thing is kinda a triple reference. It represents one of the best moments of The West Wing, but you have to have watched the show for the clip to have any impact because it relies heavily on being invested in the characters. On The West Wing Weekly (which is a current podcast going through the show one episode of the time) one of the hosts showed the clip to friends who hadn't seen the show and when they didn't react the way he expected he kept yelling "HE GAVE HIM THE KNIFE!!" and not understanding why they didn't get it. So it's a reference to the show, to the podcast and to not getting a reference.

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Okay, I give up. :p With my razor-sharp claws I use to open cans and scratch pentagrams on the walls of churches and schools... 8-}

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Why is the Pres calling the Butterball hotline? Doesn't he have chefs for that? In our household, the tradition includes the playing of Alice's Restaurant...

Is there such a thing as a MINOR mishap with a chainsaw?!!!

As for me, I think I need to change my name to Jabba...

Ewok Poet, Gemma and AzureAngel2 like this.
  9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I haven't found being a veteran of any benefit other than getting a free meal at Applebee's on Veteran's Day. But I am sure there are plenty of veterans that have positive experiences. I think it depends on what your job was in the military, where you live when you get out of the service, if you had an active security clearance when you get out and also on the employer.

We moved to my husband's hometown where jobs are limited and his experience is useless because there is no corresponding civilian job in the area. In addition, his top secret security clearances would have been great is cities with military contractors, but not in the sticks where we live. My town consists of a post office, one restaurant, one hotel and one gas station. There are probably a dozen employees in my town and the next bigger town isn't much better. Now, if we stayed in the Washington DC area he probably could have picked up a very high paying job because of his clearance. Some of the guys he was once stationed with are in very high places in the US Government and were selected by the US President to fill certain positions in his cabinet. So having military experience does help for certain professions and in certain cities.

I would give you a brutal reality check, but I am not sure what you are saying. Are you upset that a friend hasn't talked to you for a while? And then you upset another person when you complained about your hot-and-cold friend because that other person wants you for yourself? What? Okay, I am confused.

I am the wrong person to give you a reality check. I don't have any friends locally. I have a lot of people I like and talk to at work, but none that I would want to associate outside of work. I guess I'm not too friendly. That is probably why I didn't get the full time job.

It is not that I don't have a job. Like I said before, my school program has a 100% hire rate. But not all jobs are created equal. I am an on-call person. Which means I am not guaranteed any hours. I am working 28 hours this week and I can usually get that much every week if I want to. I get to pick and chose which hours to take as they come available because of sick call, vacations or other openings. In reality, I didn't want the full time job, but I thought if I didn't apply it would look bad.

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Considering it was chainsaw and it could have been MUCH worse, so, yeah, I think there is.

But my family has a history of accidents that sound awful, but actually didn't turn out to be too bad.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    If military veterans are up for consideration for a federal government position (and I think some of the states), they are supposed to be given a hiring preference. So if two equally qualified people are up for the same job and one is a vet, it's supposed to weigh in their favor. Don't think it works in the private sector.

I think at some museums you can get in free if you show your military ID.

I don't know about much else.

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, that is supposed to happen, but I don't know if it happens or not. There are some benefits to being a vet or retired. Lowes gives you 10% off anything if you are active duty or retired. Disneyworld has a resort within the park that is really cheap for military people. We got an inexpensive hotel and early entrance into the resort. I am fairly sure it doesn't apply to any veteran. You have to be retired or active duty.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    As a big city girl, I find the sole description of that town terrifying. I wouldn't know how to actually live there and I salute you for not having gone mad from solely being in such a place.

And wow, those guys had their spoon fall into honey, as we say here. Good for them! But I wish it had happened to you and your hubby, too. :(

I assume moving to one of those places where you could've had a chance to prosper was not an option?

It's a school program?

And as a freelancer, I can relate to that. AND to not really wanting a job, yet applying for it, too.

You're actually the best person for it here - we've only spoken casually (in fact, we probably exchanged max. 5 replies before September this year, apart from that one time when you sent me the Luke colonoscopy story) and with your perception of reality which is the exact opposite of mine, you can be objective. People I fell out with can't, because they will inevitably hold a grudge, and those I'm super-good with will side with me.

My mom doesn't really have many friends either, but she's super-biased and always looking for an opportunity to call everybody I met online a moron, so, yup.

So, yes, I am upset because a (much younger) friend hasn't talked to me in a while. The same happened this time last year and we ended up having a major fallout.

I did not upset the other person because she's old enough to know when somebody's not being themselves (and I'm grateful for that), but I basically had this paranoid moment when I thought I had to battle against somebody for her attention. And yeah, I think in cartoons. That part's solved, anyway.

So, with the previous paragraph out of the way, I'm having an incredible existence crisis because a 23-year-old from a different culture whom I got waaay too attached to (I'd love to be a bit more like you, not a care bear who cares too much) is sending me mixed signals. I'm, in a way, dependent of her as much as I am dependent of two other friends, I want her to be around all day, every day, like it used to be.

I'm clingy, but not in a classic way - I would not know how to be in a proper romantic relationship for example, it would suffocate me. I basically operate in the constant idealisation and devaluation mode. It's a weird, weird coping mechanism, but it only ever activates when people give me mixed signals. If somebody isn't straight up about something with me, I could go from 100% stable to the shooting-from-a-church-tower mode.

And I care too much about who loves me and who doesn't, yeah. :( But I have no problem admitting it.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  15. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Ewok Poet: My sweet husband DarthUncle and my friends are there for me. I also have wonderful old & new colleagues from various places I worked at.

And today my husband helped me to be strong and courageous while facing some very old Catholic traditions. In the end he took my hand and let me into the room... and it was not as horrible as I thought it would.

DarthUncle is a wonderful man and I love him very much.

16. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Glad he's helping you get through it, AzureAngel2! Some people are arguments in favor of cloning. [face_love]

No news here. Housework, maybe a walk to work off some of that turkey... Chuckled at @Gamiel's stuffing vs. potatoes cartoon... we've always had both. I do love stuffing, and really don't get it that often.

yahiko and AzureAngel2 like this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Officially in remission! :D [face_dancing]

And another question for the brutal realists, but also the others:
    Is it impolite to tell somebody not to bother with you if they have never ever made a single attempt to get to know you better, and it's been going for years?

Like...I don't want to be somebody's echo chamber, if the person never even bothered to ask me what my name was, forgot where I lived and generally has no idea what I've been going through. Does that even make sense?

yahiko and Lady_Misty like this.
  18. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Damn, I can be productive when I'm in the right mood. Sat down at Panera Bread and, using prewriting activities I did on Wednesday, banged out a complete three-page analytical analysis essay in two hours flat. Only problem is that it needs to be four pages, but that's a minor problem that I'll fix next week.

I can feel the end of the semester approaching already. I'm going to change my major from an associate's degree designed for the job market to a transfer degree designed for transferring to a four-year university so I can go for a bachelor's degree. That will make it much easier to get a job in my field and also make for a much higher starting salary, enough that even if I have to go $10,000 or $15,000 into debt to finish the degree, I could theoretically pay it all off in one or two years just with the difference in salary between an associate's and bachelor's degree.

yahiko, Chyntuck, mavjade and 2 others like this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Huzzah for productivity and figuring out your next steps! I love days like that!

And, yeah, it is pretty much proven in almost all sectors that the higher education you get, the increase in salary makes the initial expense worth it in the long run.

Despite the fact that I was actually up kinda early (I woke up at 7:30 and just didn't fall bak to sleep) I unfortunately wasn't too productive today. But I'm way ahead of where I need to be. I can theoretically be done this module by the first week in December and have like a month and a half to do the final assignment (which actually shouldn't take me more than like 2 weeks). So I can afford to take a long weekend.

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I want to live in that alternate universe where a degree actually has a purpose, too.

AzureAngel2 and yahiko like this.
  21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Mostly because it's funny with his made up name and address. He was in an argument with someone else about how to prepare a turkey. He does has a chef but he likes to cook on his own sometimes, and the scene before we learned he and the chef got in a fight when his Chief of Staff recommended he call the chef and ask.

jcgoble- That's fantastic! I'm glad you've figured out what you want to do! It probably will make a big difference having the Bachelor's, not only in salary, but in your ability to get promoted. My job only requires an A.S. but some places you can't be a supervisor without a B.S. and if you want to go into management, a Master's Degree, so you are kinda stuck where you are with an Associates.

AzureAngel2, Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It depends. Is this person asking you for favors? If so, then tell then to bug off. If they are just chit-chatting then I would think it rude. I talk to people all the time and I don't know their names or where they live. I don't ask because I can't remember names. If it is a deeper conversation then say something. I had some lady at the gym asking and telling me things that made me uncomfortable. When I told her I didn't want to be her friend and confidant she became a bunny-boiler. Every time she saw me she made sure to talk to me. My point is, watch out who you tell to stop bothering you. Some people don't take rejection well.

Gemma and Ewok Poet like this.
  23. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    Today, my WordPress Blog building session.
    • Creation of a child theme: done!
    • Creation of an extra menu: done!
    • Make this extra menu horizontal: work in progress.
    If I'm in trouble, I'll let you know Ewok Poet ;)

Ewok Poet and AzureAngel2 like this.
  24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If you mean that somebody is trying to burden you with their problems, whilst never caring about yours; it would be like someone begging for reviews, whilst never even farting on your own fics....feel absolutely free to rebuff them.

I did some OTP writing at work, last night, and whilst waiting for the printer to warm up, found a motto on a whiteboard that I feel you could apply to this person's problems, if you don't feel like helping:

Not my circus. Not my monkeys.

Meaning their issues are nothing to do with you.

25. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Slow day at the gym where I work Saturday morning's in the Kids's Club and that's good because I spent yesterday afternoon hanging Christmas lights with my dad.

mavjade likes this.