main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Sorry! :p

2. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    The food looks great. :D Thanks for sharing!

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    It's official: my In-Laws' House hates us/wants to retire.

The furnace has more or less gone kaput and when it's replaced ALL the baseboard heat thingies have to be replaced and we can't be here for that. Then this morning part of the ceiling collapsed because the roof leaks and my FIL's head went through the cracked window in the old front door at the foot of the stairs after he slipped because the stairs were wet.

And on top of all of it my FIL was unceremoniously let go from his Temp Job; via message on his cell.

*sigh*

Master_Lok, AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  4. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Good Lord... Yeah, I think that house hates you all, too.

AzureAngel2 and Lady_Misty like this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh no, Lady_Misty!! :( That's the very definition of the idiom "When it rains, it pours!" [:D] I hope everything can be fixed quickly! And I hope your father in law is okay after his fall and his head going through the window! That's so scary!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Eeek. Yeah, that's one of those "when things go wrong, they really go wrong" things. Hopefully everything can be fixed!

Back in high school, our furnace completely died when we were in the middle of a -35C cold snap. Yeah, it sucked. I've never felt an indoor toilet seat so cold. Thankfully it was one of those odd periods when we had no pets, so we pretty much dumped a bunch of anti-freeze down the drains and we all found places to stay at for the few days until we got a new one.

7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Are we talking about food again? =P~ Last night we made chicken with mushrooms and cream, the secret being, fo course, that cream is not enough and that to make it really tasty you want to sauté the chicken in LOTS of butter. The night before that we went out with friends to the usual Cretan restaurant and we had a blast.

@Lady_Misty Here's a virtual evil eye amulet to protect you; you sound like you need it! [face_good_luck]

[​IMG]

Oh, and a friend gave me a wild cyclamen, so I finally have a plant that officially blooms in winter on that balcony where nothing is supposed to bloom in winter. (I say "officially" and "supposed to" because with the weather going nuts my mimosa tree, one of my rose bushes and an hibiscus decided to bloom in January when they're supposed to be dormant.)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    AzureAngel2 and Mistress_Renata like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Mom's just filled the remaining six or seven crepes with ham and cheese, and we're going to eat them savoury today. That is, if I don't fall asleep again - I have no idea when, if and how I had fallen asleep: kept on running to the toilet, got the eye allergy out of nowhere (no eye poking this time, tho...) and some men outside sang stuff out loud, badly, at - 1 degrees C. If nothing else, my eyes didn't close and I can look at the screen - which won't guarantee that what I'm writing won't end up looking as if a bird wrote it.

And I have to be in sublight speed tomorrow. We'll see how this goes. :D

9. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    My FIL is fine, just some scrapes and bruises.

We are grateful that the furnace didn’t die during the cold snap when it was really cold.

The well water is acidic and leeches the copper out of the metal pipes so apparently you can squeeze them like play dough.

Some bright bulb put the furnace under at least one pipe and it has leaked in the past onto the furnace. It was patched but got through and before we knew it the furnace wasn’t working and the furnace guy came and to check on it and informed us it was covered and filled with ice.

Because it’s our only heat source, we’re borrowing space heaters, he managed to get it sort of running again.

We’re looking into housing alternatives but there’s not a lot of places locally that will fit all of us (MIL, FIL, BIL, SIL Hubby, me and have space for my other SIL, Dany, and her daughter when they come to visit every other weekend and takes cats) that are in our budget range and with such short notice.

Well SIL 2 has a place to go while the heat gets fixed and they have talked about renting a hotel room, more than enough locally seeing that the tourists are gone for the Winter, but that could leave us a bed short and unless it’s a suite no privacy.

I think if the house wasn’t filled with my MIL’s photos and other important things she just might burn the house down and walk away.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

10. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
  11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Definitely time to move! Or hope to win the lottery and do some serious repairs.

The best-tasting stuff is always the worst for you... fat, calories, cholesterol... why can't steamed vegetables taste as good as chicken with cream, butter & mushrooms? :(

Oh, dear. If you need to be on top of your game & didn't get much sleep due to circumstances, I'd say nap & rest as much as you can & try to catch up. Savory crepes are so yummy, too. *ponders complexities of crepe making*

Got so much done yesterday. I cleaned the oven! Rather magical, wiping a wet sponge & watching BLACK GOOK just disappear! The sponge had to go into the trash, of course, and the rinse water was quite scary, but I felt quite proud of myself. I also bought birthday presents for 4 friends (seriously, half the people I know were born in January), balanced my accounts & paid a few bills. Today is the cleaning of the stinky litter box, and shredding a lot of papers that need to get tossed. FREEZING outside, so good excuse to stay in & tidy. If I get really ambitious, I'll make muffins. I got a bunch of the Poirot videos with David Suchet out of the library & have been working my way through them. I am in awe of the location managers, who found wonderful 1930s buildings to use for filming. There's always such a rush to tear down & rebuild your own thing, it's great to see the old beauties on screen.

Dad is out of the hospital, and so far so good. He has a follow up in February, but doesn't seem to have side effects from the anaesthesia, like last time. Although he says he was told to cut out red meat, which has Mom in a tizzy, because he is a "red meat & potatoes" kind of guy, and a rather fussy eater. She can't figure out what to feed him.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Quite nice to think about something, then see it on the news.

On the bus today, going to and returning from my favourite café, I was caustically criticising these spoken warnings, "Please hold on, the bus is about to move", which were happening after the buses had just jumped to warp - mild exaggeration - and just saw on the BBC news website that this is something new, automated messages on the capital's bus network, but due to a technical glitch, a lot of the messages are being mis-timed.

And as usual, passengers' social media comments are part of the article.

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    That bus announcement sound ridiculously annoying no matter when it's played. The bus is going to stop and then it's going to move, if you don't hold on you might fall. This all seems like common sense to me.

I'm glad you father is doing well, Mistress_Renata!

AzureAngel2 and Lady_Misty like this.
  14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    @Lady_Misty - glad your FIL is okay. Perhaps you need an exorcist for that house? Be careful with the space heaters. Seriously though, I hope everything sorts itself out for you and soon.

@Ewok Poet - I hope you were okay after the Crepe-fest. I am sure you will do fine (today/tomorrow.) BTW, that nutella crepe though...[face_hypnotized]

@Mistress_Renata - glad to hear dad is out of the hospital. Yay with the oven cleaning, I recently cleaned our kitchen floor which needs it again. That was something, I wish I had one of those Mister Clean Magic Eraser cleaning pads (or hell, just Mister Clean.) A productive day is always great.

@Sith-I-5 - LOL. Gotta love mass transit. There were many times I was on the commuter railroad here where the trains were programmed to announce the wrong route. I do not miss the absolute cluster NY Mass transit has become over the past two years.

@Nehru_Amidala happy end of weekend to you.

Apologies for the mass answers, but time is limited.

Have a nice remainder to your weekend everyone.

15. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    My daughter's best friend, who is spending the semester in Hawaii, had enough of technical glitches in automatic messages, thank you very much. That was scary.

In brighter news, my son is finally free of his braces! This is the second time he had to have them on. He had them for three years when he was a young teen, then when he was in his last years at high school his teeth slipped back into their old position because his jaw grew. He actually wound up getting jaw surgery last fall to correct his underbite, and the braces were to realign the teeth to the new position of his new jaw. Now they are off and he is loving being free of them.
    The diva daughter goes back to university tomorrow for her final semester on campus. She will have three more classes to finish in the fall 2018 to complete her degree, but she plans to commute for that last semester.

16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I have a friend who is in Hawaii on vacation, she posted the screen capture of her phone with the warning message and said she didn't know what was going on but that she loved everyone. She said that was the scariest 40 minutes of her life. I can't even imagine.

(For those who may not know, a false alarm was sent to people's phones saying: "Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii. Seek immediate shelter. This is not a drill." (Link) )

That's so lovely when that happens and everyone panics thinking they are on the wrong train. I know that the MTA is craptacular intellectually, but so far in my experience it's soooo much better than the MBTA in Boston so I can't help but be satisfied. :p (Except for the buses, they were better in Boston.)

17. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    The news about what happened in Hawaii is terrifying in several ways. One, it's the fact that it's gotten to the point where a strike is actually possible. And two, that most of the state was living in fear for their lives for nearly 45 minutes... I can't even imagine.

Anyways, watching Fury right now and it's really making me want to immediately go and start putting together the Easy Eight Sherman model that I got for Christmas...

18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes, I heard about that missile strike automated message - I am so glad that was a glitch. I cannot imagine how the folks in Hawaii must have felt seeing that. Glad to hear your son is braces-free. Great news about your daughter's school plans.

@mavjade - I sure you hope and the Mister haven't been stuck in those subway shutdowns lately. Made me so grateful, most days I only dealt with the subways on the way home (I'd walk to work from Penn Station.) And, yes, the NYC buses are turtles.

Lady_Misty and AzureAngel2 like this.
  19. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm exhausted. I spent 10 hours today judging a Pokémon TCG tournament with no breaks. We had 81 players show up, which is the most we've ever had for a Pokémon tournament at this store.

In other news, I'm living on the edge when it comes to my Dropbox account:

[​IMG]

I ain't clicking that upgrade link until I absolutely have to. :p

Lady_Misty and AzureAngel2 like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Folks...Dolores from the Cranberries died. :(

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  21. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    The Cranberries?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Yes.

Met her in 2012 when I accidentally won a backstage pass (yes, that can happen). She was so tiny and fragile. :(

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    Damn... Loved their music.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    :( How tragic.

25. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Her death also made me very sad tonight and some private news, that will change my life a bit.

So I sat down and wrote Chapter 35 of my story about the Emperor´s niece, not sure if I want the sequel any more.

Now, I am off to bed, because I have not recovered 100% from my severe stomach bug, as the little drama in the kitchen showed today. My poor husband. But he has gotten used to the sofa in the living-room and cleaning everything that I touch in the flat these days. If I am too weak to clean it myself.

My boss and my team wish me to get better soon. I had hoped so much that all was back in order, until I got up from the breakfast table...

Waiting one hour at the doctor gave me the rest.

Now I only want to sleep, sleep, sleep.

Perhaps tomorrow is a better day. Oh wait, we might get a new kitchen window, because the old one leaks. If we are lucky, the land lady will lower herself to get the heating next to my husband´s desk fixed. A thing she keeps post phoning since last winter. But well, we are going to do something in the entire matter, because the rent will also be raised with about 80 Euro.

So I need my sleep, hoping I can leave the house for the appointment on Wednesday, that the medicine kicks in soon and that I am back at work with the kids on Thursday.

Lady_Misty likes this.