main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    WHAT.THE.HECK.HAVE.I.JUST.READ.

But I'm glad that your son is fine! @};-

I never even thought about all of this around me being mine. We don't talk much about what remains there for me, only that she will be gone. And I refuse to accept that as a possibility at any given time, at this stage. Like, for me, my most important person in the world will live to be 90. And more.

And since I'm still freaked out, I thought I'd share this and get it off my chest. Yeah, I was fat in 2012. Yeah, I won a contest and had no idea what I was in for, I only wanted the tix because I was broke. And then I got a backstage pass.

[​IMG]

This feeling is weird. Mom forbid me to listen to the band because she thinks anything could cause me to feel bad (LOL, thanks, but my meds are good), but I can't help but do it while she's sleeping.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Lady_Misty likes this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm glad your son is okay JL.

I agree with Gamiel that certain things are better discussed while a person is alive and in the right frame of mind, like funeral arrangements and who gets what (sometimes there is little point to involve lawyers in that all if it just isn't needed). When my father died, my sister and I were given like 15 minutes to go through his very messy apartment and find not only what we wanted to keep, but also to gather up our own belongings that we had there, and this was like 2 days after he died. Needless to say there are still things I kick myself for not taking. And my father was not given the final rest he desired (but, yeah it was a mess of my grandmother ending up getting to make all the decisions even though my sister and I were next of kin but underage. Our mother knew what he wanted and tried but she was his ex-wife and in the end it wasn't worth the battle). But there's a line between being prepared and treating someone as if they are already gone.

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    And then there are my parents who are only in their mid 60's and are already asking me what I want. I mean it's mostly because they plan on moving in the next year or so and don't want to get rid of things that we may want, but I think it's also because my dad and his much older siblings had a huge falling out after his dad died.
    I really just want a painting that was in our house growing up and no one else wants it, so it works out.

But I think it's sick when people start laying claim to things like the person is already gone. And I've always told my parents, if you spend every penny you have, that's fine by me. It's your money, I don't expect anything. I'd rather them live their life in a great way than worry about leaving money for me.

- - -

I'm glad your son and the other driver are ok, JL! I had a little fender bender when I was 16 and it scared me to death even though my parents kept saying accidents happen.

4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    My grandmother did this to my father. When my grandfather died in 2000, my father inherited $25,000 from him. My grandmother loaned him another $25,000 out of his future inheritance from her, and my dad used the whole sum to pay off the mortgage on our house. It's a good thing he did, because we were struggling to make the payments and were in danger of foreclosure. We only have our own roof over our heads now because we have no rent or mortgage payment to make every month. If something happened to this house, we'd probably end up homeless, because both of us on are fixed Social Security incomes and have no room in the budget for rent or mortgage payments.

Speaking of my grandmother, several years ago she had breast cancer. They removed the tumor (and one breast) with surgery, and since then, we've thought that it was gone for good. Today, we found out that the cancer is back and worse. Surgery won't help this time, and because of her age (91 in March) the doctors are hesitant to try chemotherapy. I'm afraid she might not live to see another Christmas.

In other news, I spent four hours this afternoon and evening working on my sociology homework. I underestimated the length of the assignments. Looks like they're going to end up approaching four pages total. All assigned at about noon today and due at 11am Thursday. I've been told that the homework in this course is mostly front-loaded, so it should lighten up a bit after the first few weeks.

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Don't get me wrong, we were fine with my sister getting a loan. My parents had plenty of money to lend. It is my nieces and nephew's actions that bother me. My sister is on a fixed income because she had a stroke. Her kids are healthy adults with jobs who want their mom (my sister) to part with what money she has in savings so they can go spend it on...I don't know, probably an iPhone or something they don't need. They nag her and say, "Just have it subtracted from my inheritance." It is like they think it is their money to spend. No, it is my sister's money to spend. She needs the money to pay her mortgage and buy food. :(

6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    If I may ask, why? O_O

Agree with everything.

Sometimes, the earlier makes sense - both my paternal grandmother and my great aunt on mom's side insisted on my mom taking some things home (in one case a lamp, in other a painting) and mom refused. Those things then mysteriously disappeared.

And my aunt got a lot of things from my paternal grandmother's home, while my dad and I went there once after a crazy neighbour demolished half of the house with an excavator because it "was on his part of the lot" and brought some meaningless items with us. A huge and pricey cupboard in the Altdeutch style remained behind, as well as many other things. They're still there, I bet, and it's been more than twenty years.

So sorry to read this. :(

Make sure the rest of her life is fulfilled. She deserves it!

Can somebody set them straight? This gets worse and worse the more you reveal. :(

7. lordmaul13

lordmaul13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    Well, a lot is going on in everyone's lives and most of it seems stressful and bad. I hope all our members who are under the weather get feeling better and all the other personal issues get sorted out. [:D]

Joe

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Very sorry to hear about your grandma JC. That is tough news.

And good luck with the assignments. Front-heavy courses can be both a blessing and a curse.

They need a good swift kick in the pants.

It's a very long, messy, and complicated story, but in Canada when someone as young as my father was (he was 34) dies under unclear circumstances, police are pretty much automatically involved. We knew what killed him but authorities needed the autopsy to confirm (I said this when Carrie Fisher died and her family said no to the full autopsy - sometimes you don't need that invasion on your loved one to know what happened). His death wasn't labeled a crime or anything but it was automatically labeled "suspicious" (again, just due to his age and how he died), so police had to be there when we took things from his apartment (he didn't die there so it wasn't a crime scene or anything). So, yeah, we had 15 minutes. After the funeral and everything, my sister and I were back in our own town and his place just got cleared out without us.

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @jcgoble3 - very sorry to hear about your grandmother.

AzureAngel2, Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks everyone!

I agree that having made minimal funeral arrangements ahead of time is a good thing. In the case of my grandmother it's pretty simple. She always said that she doesn't care what sort of funeral she gets as long as she's with my grandfather, and since we have a family vault of sorts here in Athens where my grandfather is buried it's all sorted out. Of course the Israeli cousins claim that she *must* have a proper Jewish funeral in Ioannina where the family came from, and they don't appear to care if that's what she wants – not to mention that she hardly ever set foot in Ioannina since the war because there was nothing to return to. And, well, they're in Israel, we haven't seen them in more than ten years, last time we saw them it didn't end well (as in, they called my grandmother a blood traitor), and to put it as mildly as possible they're just not that close to her that they'd have a say in her funeral arrangements at all, which is why I found it really jarring that they'd even bring it up.

As for the inheritance stuff, that was outright disgusting. You really have to be a sick person to start claiming people's belongings before they're gone, and for good measure they're not even her direct descendants, they're her great-nephews and great-great nephews. And, you know, Greek Jewish family, WWII, yada, yada, there are no family heirlooms here, really none at all. Everything she owns is stuff she acquired together with my (Christian) grandfather, whom, according to the cousins, my grandmother shouldn't have married in the first place. I don't know where they got the idea that they're entitled to any of her possessions unless she bequeaths it to them or unless they ask nicely.

After yesterday's phone call where they didn't even ask if they can talk to her, they're going to have to ask very, very nicely if they want my mother and me to give them the time of day. Especially now that Mr Chyn decided to take charge of communications with them, and he loves my grandmother even more than I do.

Anyway, sorry again for the rant. I realise that I'm not contributing positively to the mood in this thread but I really, really need to vent. I was fuming all night and I'm not going to work today because I just can't think straight.

@jcgoble3 I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother :( It's hard enough to live with the idea that your loved one's time may have come; you'd wish at least it could be relatively painless for them. Be strong, that's all I can say. @};-

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Go Mr. Chyn!

I totally understand the need to rant about stupid family members. It sounds like they have no business at all with your grandmother's final affairs and knowing you and Mr. Chyn are lawyers probably means everything that needs to be sorted out is already done so. Just let the negativity out of your life (though I know it's hard not to dwell on stuff like that).

12. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    @Chyntuck: There is no need to apologize for your rant. Sometimes, things just are not all right--and it isn't worth dragging up the energy to pretend otherwise.

It looks as though life is being unkind to more than a few people posting in this thread. There isn't much that I can say that will make a difference, only that I'm sorry to hear it.

As for inheritance issues--well, I could write on about the Division of My Grandmother's House (with one-third supposed to have gone to my father and to each of his two sisters) after she died three years ago, but I think I will pass. Let us just say that I'm still on speaking terms with the younger of my aunts and my cousin in part because I wasn't actually present for the festivities. My mother and sister put up with a lot that they know--and my mother has said as much--I wouldn't have stood for.

Then: my one cat--the Big Tuxedo known for her bullying ways--has one of those problems people would rather not hear about. The sort of thing that could indicate, at worst, the specter of cancer. This has been happening on and off for at least several months now; I thought that I knew what had caused it--and that, with that element removed, things were all right--but I learned recently that I was very wrong. She just had a course of medicine for it, things were all right for about a week, and now it's back. I'll have to call the vet tomorrow, and I know they'll want me to bring her in. Oh, and did I mention that I live in a rural area, and the vet clinic is seventy miles away? Oh, right, I did just mention that.

After writing that, I feel I ought to apologize--but this has been going on for a while, and possibly the best I can hope for is an answer, even if it's a terrible one. Also, my fear has built up to the point that I needed to vent some of it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Chyntuck and AzureAngel2 like this.
  13. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
  15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    At this rate, I'm almost ready to ask if we can return 2018 to the store for a refund and move on to 2019. :p

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Do you want to take the previous year from me? I offer it for free. 100% best possible deal at crazy EP's, 10/10 would take. :p

And I missed meeting my friend, because I woke up at 13.15.

Aaaaand yellow string beans for lunch, which is not satiating enough. Meh.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I should buy groceries, wash my hair and clean the place, remove the decorations and all, but all I want to do is code, design and fanfic.

Mistress_Renata and AzureAngel2 like this.
  17. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Yellow green beans?[face_sick]

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  18. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    On the dog front, we decided to apply for one more dog and then we'd start going to shelters outside of the city. We had a phone interview this morning and now I'm going to get him on Sunday!! :D He's around 1 year old West Highland White Terrier and other terrier mix, by the look of him maybe Jack Russell. He was found by the side of the road in Texas, no tag, no microchip. They tried to find his people, but nobody came forward. The group, who does special needs rescues and funds their care with young dog rescue adoption, likes to do a foster to adoption process so we're actually fostering him for a few weeks. Yaaay!!!

- - - -

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother jcgoble. :(

Chyn- Yeah, they sound like really gross people. I don't understand how people can be that way, greed I guess. Yay for Mr. Chyn!

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yay! For good news about a dog Mav! Hopefully everything works out AND WE GET PICTURES.

20. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Auntie Mav is getting a puppy! Good news after some sad discussions.

Hubby and I got our van registered today and sometime in the next few days we're going to get repair estimates for it.

While it would have been nice to have had this done last month before FIL lost his job, the In-laws are down to one vehicle since their car is basically not safe to drive and not worth repairing, but the fact that there will soon be two vehicles means that, until April or May (the earliest an affordable and local place will be open for Hubby and I), there shouldn't be too much concern about appointments and picking someone up from work.

21. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Lady_Misty and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  22. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    You're entitled to rant, at a time like this. And if Mr. Chyn is taking on the case, heaven help them!!!

So sorry to hear about big Tuxie, @Pandora. It's so hard to see them in pain, and even if you know the time has come to let them go, it still hurts like crazy. =((

I'm guessing they're what I'd call wax beans. Basically, green beans that aren't green. Not easy to find in my neck of the woods, but we ate them fairly frequently growing up.

Wonderful news about the dog, @mavjade! Westies are so cute, with Porg-like eyes. Fostering to adopt sounds like a great plan, get to know each other before you fully commit. I think they're supposed to be a bit stubborn, that terrier personality. But very loyal.

Let's see... good news is tummy is stable. Ate very bland yesterday and no ill effects, and went to work today, no issues. So, let's hope the tummy virus is my only bout in 2018. But HOLY [EXPLETIVE DELETED], it is SO COLD OUTSIDE! And I didn't realize it had snowed until I walked out the door. Not a happy surprise. Supposed to warm up the rest of the week & hit the 50s on Friday. So, yay! And David Suchet's Poirot is on tonight, so also Yay! Just a little good news to leaven the thread.

23. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Grew up watching Suchet's Poirot.

AzureAngel2 and Mistress_Renata like this.
  24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    There will be pictures of the pup, for sure!!

We went out to buy a few quick things we'd need right away: collar, leash, bowls, food, etc. and the petsmart had a ton of Star Wars stuff. Ended up getting a leash that has Chewie's bandolier pattern on it!

Thanks! I never thought about them having porg-like eyes, but now I can't unsee it! I grew up with a Westie so I know their spunky, independent terrorist terrier attitude well! :D Yeah, I think the fostering to adopt is a good idea, like you said so you can get to know each other and make sure it's going to be a good situation for everyone.

25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I missed it the first time around, but I am loving it! I grew up reading the books, although I liked Miss Marple better then. Now I'm older, I appreciate M. Poirot.

Chyntuck and AzureAngel2 like this.