main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    If I end up writing a SW version of this, it's your fault Gamiel :p

Ewok Poet, Gamiel and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Hooray for cats!

gizkaspice likes this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Chyntuck - Glad to hear that granny is feeling better!

Sith-I-5 - I got a couple of bad reviews on Upwork and that makes me discouraged. As for art, it's hard to get a gig here, you have to know people who know people etc. As for the third thing, that's virtually unheard of here.

gizkaspice - I did try to get out of my comfort zone, with that phone support thing. I got to the last stage and then they rejected me. I applied to be a content writer, never got a response. Applied for the same thing elsewhere, the company owner asked me how much money I want per article - I responded and he never wrote back. :/

4. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Well, that's a huge fail then. Keep trying, EP. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  5. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Ewok Poet I'm not sure if this service is available where you live, but I would take advantage of any job-related workshops or career centres in the area where they can help you find a job somewhere or help you connect, or even just go over your resume and get some feedback. I'm not sure if you've tried this, but I found trying to find a job by myself can be too stressful and discouraging, especially when you actually really need one.

Ewok Poet and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  6. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    @Ewok Poet Have you considered working for a temp agency?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    gizkaspice - I will put up my portfolio (can't decide on design - darn!) and go back to Upwork, hoping that they won't suspend me. I guess they're more likely to suspend somebody who never made any money off the platform than somebody who earned 30K in the past (and yes, I spent it all, I AM A COMPLETE MORON). But a long-term solution is necessary. Mom has an average pension, which is not enough, not even average salaries are enough. I have to think of something, quick.

Nehru_Amidala - Those exist here, yes, but they pay below the minimum wage. Officially, you *are* paid the minimum wage, but they take a percentage from it. And I need at least twice as much to break even. :/

8. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I'm sorry to hear that, it's gotta be rough right now.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thanks. <3 I will find a way out...somehow.

I mean, I could find a way to get into some minimum wage job, but with my knowledge, expertise and experience (17+ years!), that would be cutting the branch I'm sitting on. Plus, we'd never get to do anything fun. I'd make as much as I have set for each month in my rainy day fund right now and that's not even enough to repair stuff around the apartment.

Gah, I guess I will write a bit, to calm down. Now that I can do it again, what the kriff is stopping me? Self-doubt? :oops:

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Just looked up this Upwork.

Wow.

I'd never heard of it before.

I get that you feel discouraged by a couple of bad reviews, Ewok Poet , but if you can still get work through the platform, don't abandon it.

You have demonstrated on here, and to some of us that you know your business, and what you are capable of.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  12. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Temping is a great fill-in, especially if you've got office skills & experience! I got my first "real" job by temping...had done retail for 2 years after college, hated it...min wage, always on your feet... so I signed up with a temp agency. First assignment was as a receptionist for a huge university. Money wasn't great, but it was better than retail & I got to sit down. After 3 weeks, the university asked me to stay on permanently. They'd interviewed 12 people who applied for the receptionist position and thought I was better than all of them. And I hadn't even applied for the job! Pay was good, bennies were awesome! Medical, dental, paid time off AND... I got to take classes at the school for a ridiculously small amount of money. When I was ready to position myself to apply for my master's, I had the right classwork under my belt.

When I moved down here, I was temping through grad school. Plenty of experience (and good manners) got me the plum assignments, and I was offered a full-time job at a BIIIG DC think-tank, which I turned down, because it wasn't the career track I wanted. But if anyone is near a city and has transportation, temping is a great way to break into something.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot... So glad GrannyChyn is feeling a bit better, Chyntuck! Still fragile, probably, but she's got such a wonderful spirit! [face_laugh] about her ouzo comment; I've never had it, it must cure any ills? ;)

13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    GrandChyn in the hospital, S01E03...

Apparently last night she decided that she needed to go to the loo, so she got up and... removed the catheter that they'd put up for her so that she wouldn't need to get up. Then a nurse came and put her back to bed (and put the catheter back, obviously). One hour later, she decided that she didn't need all those needles in her hands, so she removed them too. Then a nurse came and patched up the gore, and she told the nurse all sorts of things in YEVANIC. The nurse didn't understand much of it but she was very impressed when I told her today that she met someone who speaks Yevanic.

... and my grandmother was laughing her head off when she told me all this today. She doesn't remember all of it, but she told me very proudly, "I gave them a big show last night."

(Apparently it happens a lot with very old people like her when they're hospitalised – it's a way to protest the fact that they're cooped up in the hospital. The doctor said not to worry.)

Anyway, they said her prognosis was good and chances are that she's coming home tomorrow. Although I suspect they just want to get rid of the eccentric old lady who is driving them crazy [face_laugh]

-------------

EDIT Ewok Poet You don't have anything to lose by going back to that site. If you got so many jobs through it in the past, chances are you'll get more in the future too. Also, you can get a temp job even if it's badly paid; it's just about getting some quick cash and with that sort of work conditions you won't have any regrets about dropping out and standing them up when you find something better.

14. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016

Is YEVANIC some sort of Greek dialect?

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Yevanic is, or rather was, the dialect of Romaniote Jews. Romaniotes are an absolutely minuscule community in the first place, and their language is pretty much extinct (meaning, fewer than 100 native speakers worldwide). I thought for years that my grandmother had forgotten it because she never got to speak it since before the war, but in her old age it's been coming back to her. It's really just Greek with a funny accent, but you do need to get used to it and the poor nurse got something of a crash course last night.

16. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    In the spirit of Halloween: did you know that in his book 'The Dark Half' (first print) Stephen King put the real number of the Orono Police Barrcks? They got calls from all around the world as a result.

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It's quite common for anyone in the ICU, but it does effect older people more. It's because there's constant noise and constant interruption of sleep and often a lack of natural light. The sleep interruptions are (most often) necessary, but it does start to mess with the brain. People can get really wacky sometimes and then won't remember it at all in the morning. I'm glad she seems to be in good spirits!

EP- I hope you find something soon! I know how terrible it feels and how stressful it is to not have a job. :( Like others have said, sometimes a temp job is good to just get something going, and there's the old saying that it's easier to get a job when you have a job, which I think is pretty true.

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  18. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Plus, just the "things poking into you" is enough to freak you out. I've had one or two hospital stays, and the worst were the ones with the oxygen mask, which I kept trying to take off and the IV, which just stressed me out.

She does seem to be in good spirits, that's very important. GO GRANDCHYN! [face_love]

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    The food can be terrible too at hospitalls; Hubby's great aunt is in a rehab center because she weighs under 70 pounds. We saw her last night to cheer her up and she complained about the food but her roommate taught her a few tricks like ask if you can have such and such; she asked for tomato soup and they gave it to her.

I hope your Grandchyn continues to improve and recover.

Chyntuck likes this.
  20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    The hospital talk reminds me of back about 10 or 12 years ago when I had to go in for a routine outpatient surgery. I remember none of this, so this is as told to me by my dad. He was sitting in the waiting room waiting for me when a nurse rushed in urgently asking him to come back to my room. He starts to panic a little, but when he gets back there, he finds me coming out of the anesthesia, thrashing around in my bed, with the clip that's supposed to be clipped to my fingertip instead wrapped around my body a couple of times, resulting in the heart rate monitor emitting this loud nonstop beep thinking that I'm dead (because it can't detect a heartbeat). Apparently I had also punched one of the nurses in the early stages of waking up. My dad had to help them calm me down and untangle the heart rate clip so they could get it back on my finger and shut the machine up.

In other news, my car is still not ready, but I'm hoping it's ready tomorrow. All of the bodywork and paint was fully done as of this morning; the only thing left is to obtain and install a new hood latch. The hood latch that was supposed to arrive last week did so, but it turns out the supplier sent a latch for the wrong model year. So they had to re-order it, and it was supposed to arrive by 4 PM today. All they have to do is install it and it will be ready to go. [face_praying]

Chyntuck and Lady_Misty like this.
  21. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    The only memorable "waking up" story I have was after I had oral surgery to take out my wisdom teeth. I was extremely high on painkillers when I woke up and I babbled like crazy.

It's also been over a week since I started working at Party City. I'm enjoying it, but my feet still don't... :p

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    When I first started at Kroger last year, my feet were hurting like crazy after a day at work. Two pieces of advice: First, go to a good shoe store, like a local small business or a store that specializes in athletic shoes, and ask one of the employees to measure your feet (it costs nothing). You might find that you're wearing the wrong size shoe, either in the number or the width (or both). I found out that I was wearing an 8 1/2 medium width when I actually needed an 8 1/2 wide width. After buying a new pair of shoes in the correct size, 70% of my pain was instantly relieved. Second, once you know you have the right shoe size, get a good pair of insoles designed for people who spend all day on their feet. I used Dr. Scholl's Massaging Gel Work insoles, which eliminated the rest of the pain. Once I had the right shoes and insoles (in September last year), I never had any foot pain at all again the rest of the time I was at Kroger (through April). In fact, I'm still wearing the same shoes and insoles right now.

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and whiskers like this.
  23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    jcgoble3 - That's pretty common too. It's very disorienting coming out of anesthesia. When you work in health care, you get really good at dodging fists, thankfully anesthesia also makes people move a bit slower. (Confused older people are a lot more dangerous. I had a lady almost choke me with my stethoscope once.) A voice people know usually calms someone much faster than a stranger. Since I work in a surgical ICU (cardiac surgery) a big part of my job is helping to wake people up and get the tube out of their throat. I've seen and heard just about everything, but most people either say thank you for getting the tube out, or cuss me out. LOL.

I've never had any kind of sedation, everything I've ever had done (mostly dental stuff) was with a local. But knowing how confused I get just from sleep, I imagine I'll be a bit crazy.

Lady_Misty, Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    whiskers To jcgoble3 you listen. These are the shoes you're looking for. I'd just add that they should preferably be made of natural materials or materials that "breathe", at any rate, and that you want to wear 100% cotton socks too. Without getting too much yucky into details you don't want to be standing all day on sweaty feet.

jcgoble3 and whiskers like this.
  25. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Nothing major to report except my psych seemed overly impressed I've lost twelve pounds since the last time I saw him [more impressed than the fact my meds aren't working for me). And my therapist doesn't understand that I am not interested in dating. Good doctors are hard to find. :p