main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Oh my gosh, is that what happened to Yoda and Obi-Wan? Is there some place out there where a bunch of old Jedi masters just suddenly turn up out of the blue, stark naked? :eek:[face_rofl]

Boys, you have some explaining to do.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    They sure do!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  3. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Last night my SIL Dany suggested that I use KT Tape to help keep my left knee straight.

More or less one week left before i learn why my sister Kathy is bringing a boy almost 2,600 miles to meet the family.

4. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Are they dating?

5. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Yes, and it's gotten serious (at least that's how Mom feels; we think it's to announce that they're getting married. She mentioned his name when she was home for Christmas and I originally thought she was talking about our nephew because I didn't know that she was dating a guy by that name (he and my nephew don't have the same name they're just very similar names, at least he doesn't have the same name as a family member).

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE! [face_laugh]

DarthIshtar likes this.
  7. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    If not for the being naked factor, there are a couple of people here I could see getting it into their heads to write a crack fic about that. [face_laugh]

Ewok Poet and Flyboy240 like this.
  8. Flyboy240

Flyboy240 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 6, 2017
    I just discovered my new favorite snack, fig jam mixed with greek yogurt.

Mistress_Renata and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    <----trying not to strangle myself or my next customer (on the phone). :ben: There are calls that come suck the soul out of me. :vader: Thankfully, I have only 34 minutes to go.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Ewok Poet and Lady_Misty like this.
  10. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Don’t worry @brodiew, there are people I would live to go all Vader or Kylo Ren on.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Ewok Poet and brodiew like this.
  11. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    You're not the only one. :p

12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Checking in. Went to a John Frusciante tribute night yesterday, first outing of that kind in a long time, December 2015 if I'm not wrong. I don't count Star Wars premieres, outside events, hanging out with friends and that disastrous conference in Slovenia. I feel drained, drained, drained. Maybe I won't be able to brain for one more day.

13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Everyone has a day like that. If it doesn't interfere with employment, indulge in a non-brain day.
    Fig anything with yogurt is good! I like fresh figs (when they're in season), and a tiny drizzle of honey. Figs are already so sweet, it doesn't take much.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Can't eat figs, enormous GI and I can actually feel it. But I do like them in my soap, yes I do.

@Mistress_Renata, looks like it will be one such day, then. I managed to respond to people who wanted to buy my stuff on this used clothing website and put up a spring sale, but I still have to write my column before I do anything else.

I'm supposed to respond to a bunch of people on here, this thread, people who wished me a happy birthday everywhere, read email, review some fics, update my epic, post an obligatory news item for my site that should have been posted yesterday and attempt to write a short story for a contest (deadline in five hours)...

...but the brain won't cooperate, so it will most likely be the column and an attempt to update my epic.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I just realized today that I've been mildly dehydrated for the past few days, probably the result of not being able to use a straw. I normally use a straw for most of my drinking (I mean normal beverages, not alcohol) other than plain water, and I drink substantially more that way versus just drinking from the side of the cup.

For example, when I go out to eat fast food, I usually empty a 20-to-24 ounce cup once, refill it, and nearly or entirely empty it again. But that's with a straw, where I can drink without a hand, so it's easier to drink a lot when my hands are busy holding a large sandwich. The last couple of days, I've been ordering a value-size drink (16 ounces) and drinking only half to two thirds of it, because I need a free hand to pick the cup up with, so I tend to finish the entire sandwich/taco/whatever and take a sip only when I'm done.

So I've gone from drinking 30 to 40 ounces per meal out to around 10 to 16 ounces per meal out, and when you eat out daily or twice a day like I do (don't judge :p), that's a huge reduction in fluid intake. And I haven't been compensating for it nearly enough.

Fortunately, if I'm reading things right online, I can go back to using a straw tomorrow since that will be one week post-surgery. According to various dentist office websites on Google, most say either no straws for 3 to 4 days or no straws for one week.

16. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    One of my brothers is actually getting one of his wisdom teeth removed today. It is growing in sideways and there's an abscess on it or something.

But the whole drinking straw thing is one of the reasons why I'm not getting mine removed unless I 100% need to. I have to use a straw to drink everything and it would really suck (hahaha) not to be able to drink for 3 days to 2 weeks (I've heard both timeframes).

For the past 2 days I've had bad neck pains (which thankfully aren't evolving into migraines, yet) all day, so I think a new pillow might be needed, but I buy my pillows at Costco (they have the nice memory foam ones there for relatively cheap) so I have to wait till someone with a membership can accompany me.

But, I ended up taking a gravol last night to knock me out, so I woke up early this morning, went to the library, got a ton of work done. Now it is just lunch time, so I think I'm going to spend the rest of the day writing fanfic.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    It's the suction. It puts pressure on the wound & can cause it to reopen. So it needs a chance to heal.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I only use straws when I have an excessive amount of lipstick or balm on, a cold sore or angular cheilitis.

I can finish this column, go to bed, wake up at seven and do nice things...I can...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, that's the problem. Any sort of adapted cup I could use (and I'm just cheap and use reusable stainless steel straws) requires suction. So getting my wisdom teeth removed would be just a nightmare.

20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Mr. Pup (not his name, we keep changing our minds) decided last night that my laptop cord would be a nice chew thing. We've been watching him closely, but I guess not closely enough. He was chewing on his Kong toy I looked away for a few moments and then my cord was destroyed. And of course, my laptop was almost drained of battery. There wasn't one on Amazon Prime Now, so I had to order it normally and it won't be here until tomorrow. I could have gone to the apple store but they cost $70 there. [face_not_talking]

So I was like, okay I'll just use this old laptop of dp's. So of course when I go to start it up, I get the blue screen of death. Thankfully we managed to fix it with the boot up disk. But I had plans for things I was going to do today that I need MY laptop but I guess I'll do that tomorrow.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh no! But, I guess, thankfully with apple products, replacement chargers are relatively easy to get (even if the brand-name ones are STUPIDLY EXPENSIVE). Back when I had a HP, I had to wait like 2 weeks for one (this was back in high school for my at-home laptop, so it wasn't like the the end of the world.

And my mother just messaged me: my brother is drugged out of his mind due to having his wisdom tooth removed (again - this is the same one that had the chainsaw accident a few months ago).

22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah, I would also avoid it as much as possible. If it does become necessary, my guess is that you would have to spend the next week or so in the hospital connected to an IV to replace your normal fluids. That does not sound fun.

And I've made a decision, hopefully not one that turns out to be bad. There's enough dentist websites that say 3 to 4 days without a straw, more than those that say a week (and only one that I've found that says two weeks), that I'm going to go with the majority here. Everything I've read on dry socket (what a straw puts you at risk for) says that the risk of dry socket is basically gone after 4 days. It's been almost 7 days for me, so I'm getting a straw with my dinner tonight. If it's a bad decision, I'll live with the consequences, but I don't think there will be any at this stage.

EDIT: In other news, this essay for sociology class is kicking my butt because I have no clue how to handle the second half of it. I may just turn in the first half and admit that I have no clue. I lose 10 points that way, but I don't think those 10 points are worth the headache. I can lose up to 73 points total over the semester and still get an A, and to date (halfway point of the semester at end of this week) I've only lost 3 points. I think my A can survive.

23. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh yeah, I'd be completely lost if I had to use this laptop (or even worse not have one at all) for two weeks. I can't type for anything on this.

jcgoble - Is the second half cover something different than the first half? Can you ask the professor for help with the second half? (I ask as someone who pretty much never does that.)

24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    The topic is stratification and social class, and the assignment is worth 20 points, 2 points of which are for properly citing our sources. The first half, worth 8 points, asks us to describe our current social class and position in the U.S. system defined in the book. That I had no problem with. The second half (10 points), which is what I'm struggling with, requires us to write three paragraphs on what our social position would be if we were suddenly transported to one of the "Least Industrialized Nations" listed in the textbook, with the same income, wealth, property, education, and so on.

The problem is that I have no clue which of the nearly 100 nations listed to choose, because I know absolutely nothing about any of them. Nor do I know where to go for research on this. Nor am I in the mood right now to do it, and if it doesn't get done tonight, it won't get done at all. The professor assigns each week's assignment at the Tuesday class, and everything is due at the very next class on Thursday. That means Tuesday afternoon/evening (i.e. right now) is my only chance to work on it, since my class schedule precludes working on it on Wednesdays, and it's due Thursday morning. The only way I could contact the professor is by email, which is pretty much guaranteed to not get a response until tomorrow, by which time it's too late. She has no office hours between now and the Thursday class that don't conflict with other classes.

25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    When I was taking Global Health, I used the CIA World Fact Book constantly. It gives a ton of info on geography, society, government, economy, etc. As for which country to pick, just pick one at random and see what you learn. For my class we had to pick a developing nation and I basically picked Papua New Guinea at random and what I learned was absolutely fascinating and I was so glad I picked it. (We had to use that country for the whole semester, so I had to spend a lot of time on it.)

I'm not trying to push you to do it if you don't want to, just sharing a place that helped me with a similar situation. I'm personally always paranoid about riding on something because you never know what will happen later in the semester and you may wish you had those points.

Ewok Poet, Flyboy240 and jcgoble3 like this.