main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious' Transformation

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DarthButt, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000

Yes, it looked very strange. It looked like he was smoking something.

But as far as his voice goes, I think Sidious did it as dark side display to Anakin. It was just a hint of the power of the dark side or what one can do with it.

2. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Maybe Sith puberty just hit him a little later in life than others?

Good one. I like that explanation. :D
    Why does he sound like that? I don't think it is damage to his vocal chords.

Why do you think his vocal chords werent damaged ? His face got hit pretty bad. The inside of his nose probably swelled, which would contribute to the change in voice.

3. 2sunsbetterthan1

2sunsbetterthan1 Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2005
    If you watch his face as he is battling Mace and Yoda, you can see that sinister smile as he swings- sort of reminds me of Anthony Hopkins as he is playing Hannibal Lector killing those prison guards in Silence of the Lambs...

4. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Oh, I loved it. It made him seem more creepy and with Sidious, creepy is good.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    People are just saying that because Lucas said it in the commentary.

6. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Could you be more specific?

7. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Surely you're not suggestiong that we couldn't be voicing our own personal opinion here? That we have to be repeating whatever Lucas tells us?

8. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Actually, Sid's voice change in that scene reminded me alot of the possessed girl's voice in The Exorcist. They both were wheezing in between lines. I was waiting for Sids to spew pea soup vomit. :)

9. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    My thoughts exactly. I personally can't figure out the point of the whole thing. The only rationalization I can think of for GL making this an "obvious" transformation was to give Palpatine proof that the Jedi attacked him. I thought it was kinda corny myself. It would have worked much better to me if the Palpatine we see in ROTJ was a natural progression of old age. Not some radical instant deformation. I mean, hell, he was old enough as it is in ROTS...now add 25 years or so to that. As far as the voice change part, I don't know what's going on there. Like Strilo said, why didn't it happen any other time? Who knows...maybe he was having a Sith orgasm or something. :confused:

10. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    TOTALLY! For me, it was a mix of that and Gary Oldman as Dracula (especially as the 'creepy old man' Dracula at the beginning).

11. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005

luke only received lightning.he didnt received his own lightning + mace deflecting it.

GL said that the voice part was to make the scene more dramatic but he still doesnt say WHY did his voice change.

the voice part is still confusing for me ... :confused:

12. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Lightning hasn't deformed in the past (Anakin, Yoda, Luke, Mace).
    His sith eyes are revealed - Not the result of injury.
    His voice changes - Not the result of injury.
    He shows very little sign of pain - Which he would if it was an injury.

13. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    This really is explained on the dvd by Knoll and was always the same thing as shown in the original draft:

"The tremendous effort to generate the sustained lightning has transformed Palpatine's face into that of Darth Sidious".

14. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    "gooood" :D you just hit the nail where it counts shaitan :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.