main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC SIDNEY SPARKLES PARADE

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by haruwindsong, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    The Sidney Sparkles parade aka Santa Claus parade will take place 24 November. That's a Saturday. I am presently touching base with the organizers to find out if they are interested in having us back.

If you are interested in participating this year, please confirm at this Topic.

2. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    Again, never done anything like this but if I've got the time (and the costume) I'm in.

3. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    For everyone who has expressed concerns with regards to "lighting" their costume for the parade (and those who weren't aware they were supposed to), keep in mind that lightsabres are inadequate. I have on order from two different sources approximately eight (8) strings of fairy lights with independant power packs. I have six for the group @ $6.00 per string (one's already been sold and I need one). If you're interested, pm me and I'll let you know when they arrive.

Of course, you can always go onto eBay and buy your own, just be careful about where you purchase them (Australia or the US). I'm not entirely comfortable with the safety measures on stuff coming straight out of China, et al.

4. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Just wanted to confirm, perhaps out of a sense of mild, good-natured curiosity, if you will, or doubtless most of all because I've found the thought occurring to me anew what with, well, Hallowe'en itself coming up right straightaways this week, put it that way, and so maybe then 'tis only natural and expected enough that one's thoughts would tend to turn to....a-traipsing about in our costumed finery in one form or another, anyway....I mean, honestly, doesn't it just seem like the most apropos time of year for it anyway? :) Suffice it to say, then, ye-es, I suppose 'twouldn't at all surprise me then if between all the Hallowe'eening and what have you, one's thoughts were indeed so irresistibly wandering in certain costumed directions....and that being, of course, I daresay even - this parade up in Sidney, then.... And, well - it *is* still very much a go for us then, I take it? I'd presumed so, but mentioning that it was a matter of "getting in touch" with the organizers, that just made me wonder....

*shrugs cheerfully, casually* I guess it just seemed one of these things 'twas best to confirm then, at any rate, if only to just ensure that we *are* solidly and nicely pencilled in for the event, that we're very much confirmed for it and thus it's something we can absolutely be looking forward to and enthusiastically and eagerly planning for.... :) And doubtless all the more so too, for that matter, especially since....well, put it this way....there clearly aren't *nearly* enough opportunities and precious, cherished chances to be parading and striding out and about and all costumed-like as I'm sure we'd otherwise prefer....and, honestly, aren't we as likely as not just *always* looking for more anyway, really whenever, wherever and however it can be finagled, at any rate....we've the stylish and eye-catching and statement-making finery, after all, the robes and the sabers and even the armour and such, so surely it's only fair for us to be parading out and about in it *any* and every chance we get. ;) :D

Dawn.

5. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    I have submitted our entry request forms via snail mail and will contact the event coordinators this coming week for confirmation if I haven't seen anything concrete from them by Monday after work.

I have just ordered two more sets of strings. This how I stand for orders:

Robin - one string
    Dawn - one string
    Tyler - one string confirmed (possibly a second)
    Dave - two strings
    * the banner * - one string
    Me - one string

That still leaves several unadopted strings. PM me if you're interested.

Also, I would like everyone who wants a string to come see me on the Remembrance Day weekend. Bring your costume (Jedi/Sith - just bring your cloak) so we can check the best method for attaching them. You'll also have to purchase batteries.

The strings work great. Used one in "Fang" on Halloween. Switched it on at 6:00 pm and it was still going strong at 9:30 pm.

6. KudosDas

Jan 14, 2005
    I think I've got one other person interested asides from myself, but what time would we be looking at for the parade as in time of day?

7. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    The parade is in the afternoon. We start forming up between 4:00 and 4:30 pm. At the moment I'm not interested in simply having 501st and Rebel Legion members. Any SW fan with a decent, recognizable costume is welcome to swell the ranks. If I run out of light strings, there are other methods that can be utilized, as we've experimented over the years. Contact me directly. There's only two weeks left to the parade.

8. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    If you need/want lights PLEASE let me know ahead of time. E-mail me directly. Do NOT "PM" me as I may not have time to return to this site: caconder@shaw.ca . You will need the following:

mini alligator clips to attach them to your costume (fabric) or painter's tape;

an old sock into which to drop your battery pack (bring two in case you wind up with the short strings; and

safety pins to attach the sock to the inside of your costume.

If you want to buy a string from me:

$6.00 for a long one (I don't have any left at this time)
    $4.00 per short string - blue and multi-coloured (you'll need minimum of two to adequately light your costume)

9. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Tried to E-mail to this effect last night, but h'm, h'mmmm, for some unforseen and unexpected reason 'twould seem that it was bounced back to me as "undeliverable"....looks like your E-mail must be pretty well overflowing, I should think, ergo that's what's causing the new messages to bounce back undelivered....oh dear. :) At any rate, then, what I actually was wondering about....was with regards to the little mini alligator clips which those of us with the rather more swishy and flowy costumes will be using with our light strings, and that's all well and good, to be sure - but at least as of yet I personally haven't been able to locate any of those *mini* clips, then, is the thing. Thus far at least 'twould seem that I've only been able to spot the more absurdly big clips instead, which obviously are so *not* what we're looking for and they won't be so much viable for our purposes anyway. Eeeep. ;)

Now, admittedly I'll certainly do my very level and utmost best to try to find some of those blahsted mini clips *somewhere*, since by all rights, reason and normal expectation one would *think* that they'd not prove so hard to find at all, yet here we are regardless....and it is a mite confuzzling, that I'll grant you. :) Still, though, in any case - keeping this under due consideration, then, I suppose the main thing surely would be to have some extra mini clips on hand, right, "just in case" and all that....very muchly relieved, too, I most assuredly would be, and *phew*, by the way. :)

Dawn. (grrrrrr, robe-hemming, bit of a nuisance to have to do it, I suppose, but evidently there really is no way around it....has to be done, ergo it will be, simple as that - apparently no matter even how many sewing needle-pricks I have to suffer in the process, and *ow*, by the way ;) - yet still, though, hey, for what it's worth and thus for even all the relatively minor nuisance and low-grade fuss of it, well....still I'm left thanking my proverbial lucky stars and the Force in general that....my costume is of the multi-layered clothly variety....because, eeek, I can only well imagine the hassle and frustration of armour, and no thank you, that's probably not so much for me....also, I do happen to be fond of my breathing room, methinks that's another fine and quite compelling and convincing reason.... ;) *chortles*)

10. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Should have been okay. I always clean out the backlog and I've got megabytes of space set aside. Anyway, try it again this evening and if it still isn't working, leave information on the Forums and I'll contact SHAW to find out "what the hey"?

11. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    The mini alligator clips can be found in:

Staples (near Mayfair Mall and downtown on Fort between Douglas and Blanshard)
    Monk's Office Supply (downtown there are two stores: Broad and View and at the corner of Fort and Blanshard)
    Office Depot (out near Mayfair Mall)
    Wal-Mart - may have them

12. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Whip your cloak into a tailor:

Eaton's Centre downtown on the top floor around to the right past the Sushi place

University Heights

or somewhere else.

Shouldn't cost more than $30 and if you snivel a bit they'll probably do it on the spot for you (especially in Eaton's).

13. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Diligently and determinedly scouted out and about today for the alligator clips, bravely sallied forth in most valiant search.... *shakes head* ....yet so far, still no luck, not even at *Wal-Mart* of all places, and believe you me I'm at a total loss to figure that one out....doesn't exactly seem to make much sense, does it, especially considering that by all reason and even outright sanity one would normally, naturally *think* or otherwise expect that even something so simple, basic and straightforward as....mere little alligator clips, relatively speaking fairly mundane, to be sure - and so, well, why *shouldn't* they be easy enough to find and readily available most anywheres one looks? Mmmmmmm, yes, why *indeed*.... *snerk* I can try to look around for 'em at least once more before the parade tomorrow, and maybe I'll yet have luck on that score, but in the meantime....it may prove *very* fortuitous indeed to have the extras on hand, "just in case", and I'm sure it'll be muchly appreciated besides. :)

Dawn. (who did pretty much finish the hemming-by-hand a short while ago, and that is a heckuva thing, believe you me....and were it not for the fact that I do next to no sewing myself, at least as of yet, maybe I'd already have access to a sewing machine for just such an occasion....though after having stitched away with a needle and thread for, oh, probably a few hours in total, well - suffice it to say that I'm *definitely* seeing the advantages of a sewing machine, and my fingers especially would probably be thanking me for that one. Also, oh, how I suspect I'm still a wee bit paranoid about getting stuck by a random, stray sewing needle, and it *can* happen, by the way....*believe* me, you really don't want to have your foot impaled by a sewing needle, I'll say that much.... ;) *snorts*)

14. Tib_Senshi

Tib_Senshi Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2005
    Parade was a hit. We started at 5PM on the nose. Missed a few peeps, would like to know why. Want to than Tyler and his wife and Two Younglings! The were great. Tea party and Buccaneer days are next in the queue in 2008. Unless anyone has any events they'd like to put to the table.

15. KudosDas

Jan 14, 2005

A group of us were waiting at the Mary Windspear Centre around 4:30 where we thought we were supposed to be meeting. By the time we decided that everyone else must have gathered somewhere else the parade had started and you guys had gone. Not going to lie, I'm more than a little annoyed at the miscommunication as it took a lot of effort and planning for both myself and my friend simply to make it out to Sydney for the event. My friend was so annoyed he's considering not coming out to another event.

I don't know if there was an email or post that I missed, but it would be nice for the next event to have an official shout out will all the information (date, time, meeting point) together in a single message so this kind of a thing doesn't happen again.

Sorry I missed most of you, hope to see you in 2008.

PS - Power of the Force is a go! Check out the thread for more information.

16. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Ohhhhhh, believe me, you're not the only one who was more than a little annoyed at how it all transpired, the *appalling* and eggregious miscommunication and complete kriff-up, put it that way....suffice it to say that I was fair *seething* with rage after the fact, and I'm still seeing all sorts of red over it. And the fact that now it's apparently to the point where folks are so annoyed, to say the *very* least I'm sure, that they're seriously questioning whether they even want to bother with another event....that is *shameful* and appalling, and perhaps even rather unforgiveable besides. Unacceptable, completely and utterly *unacceptable*, that's what it is, and those of us who were there at the stipulated time and specific place, and even *before*, for all that, yet who were the apparent victims of this miscommunication, call it what you will, I suppose - we-ell, now, I can't help but think that we *do* have every right to be disappointed, annoyed, frustrated....*all* of it.

Dawn. (vexed, terribly vexed)

17. Tib_Senshi

Tib_Senshi Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2005
    We were in the parking lot behind the center as stipulated in the email. Same place as last year.... we waited, we saw no sign of anyone. when the time drew near (quarter to 5) we went to muster, Cary, wearing her Pilots uniform (Bright orange) Stayed behind till the last possible second to catch any stragglers if any... We saw no one...

Were you guy IN the center? The email clearly stated the parking lot. Cary got there on her own as did I and my extra body. Tyler and his crew met us at muster point.

Not sure how there was a miscommunication.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.