main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sifo-Dyas, Whats the point

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BillBrasky, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillBrasky

BillBrasky Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2004
    What was the point of puttinf Sifo in the story at all. All it did was confuse me, and everyone else that watched AOTC. wouldn't have it been alot easier on everone including the people who come here and everyday see another who is Sifa to say a man named tyrannus or dooku ordered them.

Can anyone see a decent reason to put his name in the movie

(besided this, i really needed to see another sifa-dyas post, to ge things back too normal) :)

Strilo edit: We have a Sifo Dyas discussion thread. Why didn'y you use it?

2. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Lucas wanted to create a mystery angle for AOTC. Sifo was originally going to be mentioned in ROTS has a mystery plot point, but Lucas changed his mind. The whole Sifo mess is explained in the EU. Read LOE.

3. CountessYnaAda

CountessYnaAda Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2003
    Let's see if I can explain this correctly.

Sifo-Dyas was put in to confuse not only the Jedi but the audience as well in thinking that he asked for the creation of the clone army. Dooku was covering his tracks. Now I understand people when they say that it was pointless because Lucas never went further into this mystery. Only the books did (LoE). But when you read the book (and others if this is mentioned elsewhere) then go back and watch the movie it may make more sense but as I said Lucas never went into great detail over it.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. And for those of you who understand it, you get a kudos.

EDIT: Didn't realize that someone had already posted this information. Sorry.

4. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    He's a red herring old Sifo. Probably one of the most talked about red herrings in movie history!

5. Darth_Masticator

Darth_Masticator Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    monster of a red herring and caused a buttload of needless confusion, especially if you don't read EU

6. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    The confusion exist mostly among fans who anticipated an answer in ROTS. When looking at the PT as a whole after-the-fact, it becomes apparent that "who" ordered the clones is not relevant to the Jedi. At the end of AOTC they have much bigger problems to worry about.

7. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    Sifo was originally going to be mentioned in ROTS as a mystery plot point, but Lucas changed his mind. The whole Sifo mess is explained in the EU.

I am a firm believer that one should not have to look outside the movies in order for a plot point to be resolved satisfactorily.

When looking at the PT as a whole after-the-fact, it becomes apparent that "who" ordered the clones is not relevant to the Jedi.

Maybe if the Jedi hadn't seen it as "irrelevant" then they would have discovered Sidious a lot sooner, and maybe even saved their sorry asses...

8. Han_the_Man_Solo

Han_the_Man_Solo Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    I think the question of who Sifo Dyas was or why the Kamino's thought he ordered the clones, should have been resolved within the movies. I'm not against the existence of Spin off Stories in the EU but I think the plot in the movies should pretty much stand up on its on right.

The history behind who ordered the clones and why, has got to be a core plot point and I was disappointed resolved. It was not enough to have Sidious making order 66, that doesn't exclude the possibility of someone other than he or Dooku ordering the clones initially. I know Labrynth of Evil apparently answers all this but how do I know that GL wouldn't have given it a different storyline. I was waiting for some subtle but satisfactory revelation of the Syfo-Dyas clone ordering mystery and I think its a shame the movies have left this as a loose end.

9. DarthRenvian

DarthRenvian Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2005
    Hey, everyone knows that Darth Maul is Sifo Dyas. Its obvious.

10. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004

Whats with the obsession with Syfo Dias?

The whole point of his inclusion was to create confusion amongst the Jedi. AOTC is essentially a mystery film (atleast ObiWans plt arc is). This just enhances the mystery.

You dont need to go looking for more info on Syfo to try to understand every single facet of Star Wars, AOTC itself gives enough closure;

*The Kaminons say Syfo ordered the clones.
    *Jango Fett says he was recruited as the clone model by Lord Tyrannus.

Therefore, it doesnt take a genius to realise that Obi Wan thinks that Syfo was in league with the Sith, and ordered the army on the orders of the phantom sith lord they were chasing throughout the prequels.

I havent, nor will I, read LOE. But if my theory is wrong, I dont care and it doesnt matter because the EU has nothing to do with the films and AOTC explains enough.

11. Deadline247

Deadline247 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2002
    According to the ROTJ prequel novel, Labyrinth of Evil, Jedi Master Sifo-Dias was indeed the one who ordered the clone army, but Dooku and Sideous found out about it and decided to use it for their own purposes.

Dooku murdered Sifo-Dias and then erased Kamino from the Jedi Archives right before he left the order.

According to the book, Sifo-Dias was the only Jedi on the council who really perceived the upcoming threat and the approaching darkness. So he took it upon himself to order the clone army without approval of the entire council.

From what I remember of the book, it didn't sound like Sifo-Dias had any evil intent when he did this...he was just trying to anticipate a future need of the Republic. But once Sideous found out what he did, he decided to hijack it for their own purposes. The murder of Sifo-Dias was Dooku's first real test of his commitment to the Dark Side.

[image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/labyrinthofevil.jpg]

12. Han_the_Man_Solo

Han_the_Man_Solo Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    It doesn't take a genious to come up with a plausible explanation for Syfo Dyas which fits in with the facts revealed in AOTC. The trouble is several alternative equally plausible explanations can also be put forward. Depending on which explanation it is, the slant on the hole PT is completely changed. The clones are used by Palpatine as a major tool for taking over and killing the Jedi. Who originally planned the clone Army in advance and why, is a seriously important to the story. I don't agree that AOTC fully explains it, elements are left open. Labrynth of Evil offers another explanation but I don't see why it should be considered more pukka than any other, plus from what I've been told I don't think it's a very good explanation.

The bottom line is the Syfo Dyas point was not fully explained in the PT and it would have been neater to wrap that plot point up or albeit very subtley.

13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I agree that the whole Syfo Dyas thing reeks of sloppy story telling. Sure, the point is easily rationalized if one?s willing to accept that the name was merely a guise utilized by Palpatine or Dooku, but still the fact remains that this was never confirmed within the context of any film. This wouldn?t much of a problem if it wasn?t for Lucas relying on the Dyas character in order to add one more layer of mystery to Attack of the Clones. And from a point of view concerned with quality of writing, I don?t see the value of introducing some mysterious character who is integral to a film?s driving plot if in the end said character is later relegated to not much more than an abandoned concept.

14. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Going by the movies alone, I thought it was pretty obvious that Dooku ordered the clones by impersonating a recently deceased Jedi master then covered his tracks by erasing Kamino from the archives and excommunicating himself from the Jedi order.

15. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    From a movie stand point it would have made more sense if in AOTC, Obi-Wan was told by the Kaminoians that a man named Tyrannus ordered the clones and then Jango tells Obi-Wan that he was hired to be a clone template by a man named Tyrannus. And then at the end of AOTC, we would have found out that Dooku had ordered them after Sidious welcomes home Lord Tyrannus.

16. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    It was a good idea, but by not following up with it in the movies (EU doesn't count), what was the point?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.